Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Build Thread: 2004 Theft Recovery Touring

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 07:08 AM
dustin15brown

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

march 8, 2009
more to update
Ok welllll here we go! We started off on the Red Z today. First we had to drain the radiator

Once that was done we undid the transmission fluid lines
And we here we had the reclaimer hooked up to the AC to properly undo things

And there is my pops helpin me along

Fluid Tanks either gone or drained

Old 11-23-2009, 07:08 AM
dustin15brown

March 8, 2009
Tell me what you notice?

And here is where we sat that chunk so I could switch out the radiator and make sure everything was ok.

They are TWINSSSSSS

hahah but now comes the crap part, some of the hoses and one ac line that was broken off is going to be a total pain in the a$$ to replace..... They are in VERY tight areas and I haven't figured out how I will get to them yet
Sticker from the car I found in the paperwork..... hehehe

Today I ordered some new Goodyear Gatorback belts to just go ahead and replace them while everything was easily accessible. Also picking up new metal clamps to replace the cheap plastic one along with new upper and lower radiator hoses.
annnnnd I went ahead and ordered a JWT Popcharger today so that should be in next week. I'll be in Florida next weekend, but the following weekend I will FINISH the car with the interior and engine stuff and then start putting on the panels to go to the paint shop!!!!!!! I am so excited!
Old 11-23-2009, 07:09 AM
dustin15brown

March 29, 2009
OK so I went home again this weekend and got sooo much accomplished..... but as we are winding things down, I'm finding a few little problems here and there which i'll fill you in at the end of the post. Here we go!
I ordered a JWT Popcharger a few weeks ago, and it was in, so I took a pic!

The new belts

The new belts are on

The old cut wires, that I am pretty sure control the TPS.

and the new ones on

Ok so while replacing the hoses and moving them from one side to the next I had to get to remove a hose from here and put one back on.... the TINY tube down in the middle... it blows getting to honestly

It's hidden way back there

The two AC lines that were busted are moved over and ready to go

Taking a step back

The old radiator

And the new

What do you notice?! What do you notice?!?!

The entire harness is hooked up and routed properly except the two headlights. So after tightening all the nuts and bolts and making sure all the hoses were on..... we move to startup video! Well, I will show you guys that here in a bit when it finishes uploading
So here's how I finished my day..... BROKEN BOLT IN THE POPCHARGER!

It broke by tightening it with a 10mm wrench that was TINY.... I was so mad and confused at what happened.

So the issues:
For some unknown reasons to me the horn and radio aren't working so far. And then you I will update here in a bit again with a movie and the rest
Old 11-23-2009, 07:11 AM
dustin15brown

April 18, 2009
So I went over today and got some ish done. Not a lot for pics but I did go ahead and throw the bi-xenons on, got the intake on, and the strut bar.
Also had to take the center console back out to check why the radio isn't working still so i replaced the headunit itself with another one i had, and still nothing. The same for the horns, rechecked the wiring and it is correct so I'm still not sure the horn itself isn't working. And then when the guys stole the car and were taking everything off, they broke the hood release on the inside of the car and cut the release itself, so I got the new plastic piece switched out and the hood release hooked up.
Can't really think of anything else that happened today? hahaha I'll update tomorrow and hopefully have a few better pics!

Old 11-23-2009, 07:12 AM
dustin15brown

April 20, 2009
Here is a better pic

0o0o0oo0o000oo0o0oo0o0o0o00o0o0o and I think I know why it wouldn't start! Mad props to Cheeco for telling me. It appears as though the key has lost it's programing with the installation of the new wiring harness, so I am going to finish installing stuff on the car and send it off for paint, then tow it in to Nissan to have them verify that is the problem then reprogram the key and I'll have it on the road!
Old 11-23-2009, 07:12 AM
dustin15brown

May 24, 2009
ehh here's whats going on with the car.:
Nissan won't reprogram the key without a title, and the state doesn't want to give me a title. Apparently when I bought the car from the guy in North Carolina he wasn't legally allowed to sell it to me after he bought it as a salvage car from Atlanta. With how the laws are, you can't, as a regular person without a license, resell a salvaged car without a rebuilt title after you purchase it until it's deemed road worthy and approved through the state. I hope that made sense. So I'm working on seeing a judge to have him give me the title under the messed up circumstances because he is capable of doing that. Until then, I'm stuck.
I did however go throw on the hood and fenders today. I'll be going back later to clean the doors and put them on. From there I'll put the headlights back in and test fit the new sideskirts and front bumper. That's about it.
0o0o0o0o0o and I got a set of 08 anniversary stock wheels for the car and smoked front markers to replace the orange ones. That's about it.

Old 11-23-2009, 07:13 AM
dustin15brown

November 12, 2009
ok so where to really begin here... I'm not sure....
A pic? ok, that works!

OK so now the boring words part of my story.

At last check I needed the title to get the car reprogrammed, and then the reprogrammed car to get a title. So here's what happened:
I went before a judge with my mom to talk about the case. The sheriff came out and looked through all my information. Then the judge looked through it. Then he said BAM I'll mail you a title. So I got a title in the mail.... A CLEAR title at that

So I sent the car off for paint as you see up there..... and tomorrow I should be taking it in to Nissan to reprogram and start driving it
That's enough for now
Old 11-23-2009, 07:14 AM
dustin15brown

November 18, 2009
ok so I will update:
In my earlier posts, I made it seem like a quick easy deal to get the title. Well here is what really happened. I went and met with my lawyer to get his advice. He said it was a touchy subject and that the judge would go one of two ways, and I would have to deal with whatever decision he rendered. The first way was that he could order me to return the car to North Carolina to the guy I bought it from. And then have HIM have his state check out the car and then get the title in HIS name and then basically HOPE he transfers the title to me. And then bring it back to Indiana. That idea SUCKS. Especially since I paid in cash, so it makes the transaction a little bit harder to follow.
The second option is that they could go through all the red tape and eventually I would file for a lost title. And the state would issue it to me. That option sounds a lot better!
But first we called the BMV and they said tough luck kid, send the car back to North Carolina. You bought the car, and shouldn't have. He shouldn't have sold it to you. Research more before you buy next time. So it appears the BMV is going to be no help.
And there are two main judges I would potentially see in court if I went. One is known for being a stickler for the rules and no compassion. If I saw him, I would be screwed most likely. And the second judge was a friend of my parents. Since they do so much real estate in our small town, they are well known, respected, and liked. So it was a toss up if I went to court.
So my mom actually went into the court house and talked to the judge . He called the Sheriff and asked him to come in. So the three of them sat there in his chambers/office and went over everything. It was decided that the sheriff would come out and look over everything and give his opinion. He is also a very good friend of my parents. I lucked out very much so in that they both thought it was a cool project, and that I caught the raw end of the deal. And they put the steps in motion to get me a title. I was under the impression it would be a rebuilt title or whatever. Then it came in the mail, and it was a "Court Ordered" Clear Title. It's the same as a lost title that you file for. Still a clear title. If you carfax it, it will most likely still show that there was something that happened. But i'm not worried about that. It's been searched by Nissan and the BMV and deemed totally roadworthy.

Next, I had to tow the Z in to Nissan to have them figure out why it wouldn't start, the radio didn't work, fans came on, and no horn. It seems like a really long list, huh? And at $95 an hour *after a discount for being a paid member on my350z.com* it could be a painful experience. My dad hauled it to Nissan yesterday and stayed there the WHOLE day to make sure everything got figured out (I'm in college still so I can't just leave with everything going on here).
The total bill through Nissan was going to be $475 for their work yesterday. The service manager and a tech stayed after hours to finish it and they decided to do it off the books. So I got out of there with a $235 bill. Dad hauled it back home last night 100% street ready. He DID however take the first drive in it today, which makes me really mad, but it's whatever I guess.
I will finally get to see the fruition of my 2.5 year project on friday. And I will get to drive it for the very first time. I got the insurance and license done yesterday as well.... and it wasn't cheap!

All in all, this has proved to be a very valuable project and I have learned SO much.... I'll try to make it a picture ***** this weekend and get a lot of pics, maybe even a few with the celica if the weather is nice!

Thanks for the support guys
Old 11-23-2009, 07:15 AM
dustin15brown

November 21, 2009
I snapped a few pictures today while I was out working at the summer house.... Not great pic, but pics none the less! Opinions welcome!
And yes, I know the new wheels aren't on nor the front markers in the bumper..... and I'm waiting on the front bumper emblem now.

Old 11-23-2009, 07:25 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

where in indiana are located? my sis is a senior pharm student at purdue. I live down in terre huate.

nice little project. this is kind of what my little pickup truck looked like and i restored it. it was too good of a deal to pass up.

Last edited by binder; 11-23-2009 at 07:31 AM.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:33 AM
dustin15brown

Originally Posted by binder
where in indiana are located? my sis is a senior pharm student at purdue. I live down in terre huate.

nice little project. this is kind of what my little pickup truck looked like and i restored it. it was too good of a deal to pass up.
I live in Greensburg, about an hour SE of Indy, and then I go to Purdue where I'm in my 4th year.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:59 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

cool.

there are a lot of cities that start with "green" in indiana...lol
Old 11-24-2009, 07:10 AM
Jonathan Allyn

Nice project. Was nice to catch this thread and see it completed at the end. Glad it all worked out for you!