Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

PLS READ: is it ok to switch back to regular oil than using full syn. mobile oil?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2003, 05:37 PM
ricks350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PLS READ: is it ok to switch back to regular oil than using full syn. mobile oil?

im tired of my oil burning here and there after a long drive.....!!!!

i been using full syn. mobile oil from my past vehicles and up to now.... im curious if it's ok to start over and use regular 10w 30 oil in my z....

my z just hit 5,4000 miles and my last oil change was 3,000 miles (of course using mobile 1 full syn.)...

now, i just checked my oil level (in which nissan has the suckiest dip stick oil level reading!!) and it has dropped a bit, so i had to add about half of quart of mobile .....

now, my question is:

is it ok to change back to normal oil so i wont have this burning of oil again and just be happy w/ spending about 6-7 bucks on oil per 5 quart...

or should i stick w/ using mobile and bear to put more $$$ on changing every 3,000 mile...

i liike everyone's opinion (good or bad)
Old 05-01-2003, 06:14 AM
ricks350z

sorry i think i should have clarify this..pls read and comment as well...your feedback is WELL appreciated
Old 05-01-2003, 07:32 AM
zwindsor
Twisty addict

You can switch back at any time. There will be a small amount of synthetic left until maybe the second change of dino oil.

I've had no problems with oil burn off so I have to wonder if there isn't another problem. Nex time you change the oil check the belly pan for oil drips. A few of us have had leaky cam cover gaskets, very minor leaks but still. Might want to have things checked out.
Old 05-01-2003, 08:25 AM
Wags

My quick answer would be yes, anytime. But interestingly, Harley just introduced synthetic oil (for the 1st time) which can be used both in the engine and trans (another change for Harley), but they say once you go you should not switch back... but offer no explanation. I figured it was just that they can only test and support one configuration and don't want any suprizes caused by switching and the different additives..?
Old 05-02-2003, 02:02 AM
ricks350z

great reply....

however, i would like to hear from any owner who had used full syn. mobile 1 and then came back to using regular oil...

if so, any differences, etc..?
Old 05-02-2003, 09:16 AM
DeludedBuzz

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I thought you couldn't switch back. I remember hearing that about my ole CBR600F3. If you switched to synthetic that you should NOT switch back to dino oil...
Old 05-02-2003, 09:54 PM
Wags

They are both dino oil. Synthetic has just had the short chanin polemers removed. That's the "synthetic" part about it, they take mormal crude and turn it into Pennsylvania crude by removing the short chains which give you more long chanins which gives you oild that works and lasts longer... it's just oil. But the additives vary from synthetic to synthetic and non to non and visa versa. I've got 90,000 on my Honda ST1100 and 30,00 on my latest Harley and I belive I've gone back and forth on both, but the oil wars will go on... and everybody has a different reason.
Old 05-02-2003, 10:05 PM
Wags

P.S. And, I think I gave you the correct answer the 1st time. Manufactures don't have the time or money to run an engine on a bench for 200,000 mile with every possible combination of oil, The point is, pick a good oil and stick with it. Each oil manufacturer has their own philosiphy about additives, and the synthetics due to their naute, probably lean heavier to one side or the other, and switching from oil to another can further mix the mixture, which might not act as well... or at least wasn't tested and therefore will never be endorsed.