Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Tire feathering

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 01:08 PM
rrz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire feathering

Bought my Z and the tires has already been warrantied. I start getting the horrible growl associated with the tire feathering, I take the car to dealership and they look up when the tires were originally replaced and say that I am too late because it has been over a year since the tires were warrantied and my 36,000 mile warranty had also just expired. They tell me the cost is on me. i was pissed. Is there anything I can do to get the dealership to fix the problem or am I just going to have to eat the cost myself?
Old 06-19-2007, 01:15 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Sometime ago Nissan had a free alignment-free tires policy for certain years. I believe that policy has expired. For details see: https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance-and-repair/15758-tire-feathering-fyi-6.html.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:03 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Yup, it's expired. Get a good front end alignment and some new tires.
Old 06-19-2007, 04:33 PM
ZCARBANDIT
Banned

we had someone come in for that same thing. he was 1 month out for the feathering, but we goodwilled it and they approved it. he was all the way down to the cords of the tires. very dangerous to drive on, too bad that couldnt happen to you on the goodwill part. like dave said, get the alignment and tires.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:12 PM
BRONZEE
Club Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What about trying another dealer??

Anyway, worst comes to worst it might be a good opportunity to shod your Z with some new shoes, ie, not the stock Potenza's.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:10 PM
blackfairlady

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tomorrow I am going to try an alignment and cross rotating the fronts. I have the stock potenzas. next step if that doesn't work...new tires. Next step if that doesn't work...dropping it on some lowering springs about an inch. That should change the suspension geometry, hopefully resulting in an elimination of the tire feathering after the springs settle and I get a good alignment. Let's just hope my plan A for tomorrow works out and I never have to hear/see tire feathering EVER AGAIN.

p.s. I'm on the same boat as you...went to the dealer and they said I was 2 months over the free tire replacement and alignment from Nissan. Told me to foot the bill and try to get it fixed. I called and/or traveled to three dealerships with the same response. Sucks that people aren't generous anymore and would rather be cheap than replace my tires and give me a good alignment and gain a customer. F dealerships.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:54 PM
wikel

Originally Posted by rrz
Bought my Z and the tires has already been warrantied. I start getting the horrible growl associated with the tire feathering, I take the car to dealership and they look up when the tires were originally replaced and say that I am too late because it has been over a year since the tires were warrantied and my 36,000 mile warranty had also just expired. They tell me the cost is on me. i was pissed. Is there anything I can do to get the dealership to fix the problem or am I just going to have to eat the cost myself?
I'm from KC and I'm suing Nissan for breach of warranty. Still in progress...
Old 06-26-2007, 04:28 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Your sueing Nissan for a problem that was resolved a long time ago and fixes the problem. I suggest do some research.

I hate sue happy people.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:32 AM
Billhyco

Originally Posted by SOLO-350Z
Your sueing Nissan for a problem that was resolved a long time ago and fixes the problem. I suggest do some research.

I hate sue happy people.

+1111111111111111111111111111 AND SOME!
Old 06-26-2007, 05:30 AM
wikel

I hate sue happy people.
Funny how by reading the forums you won't think that it was "fixed a long time ago". Or from the local service manager that stated how many Zs continue to have this problem.

Guess you should do some research...
Old 06-26-2007, 05:37 AM
Billhyco

Originally Posted by wikel
Funny how by reading the forums you won't think that it was "fixed a long time ago". Or from the local service manager that stated how many Zs continue to have this problem.

Guess you should do some research...
this has been researched, looked at, discussed, rolled over, stomped on for about 4+ years now. We're not newbs at this.

edit: and just so ya know... sue happy people **** me off
Old 06-26-2007, 06:03 AM
wikel

Billhyco,

Dude put your guns away because I don't really care if I'm pissing you off. Notice my join date? 2003... I have read on this problem quite a bit over the years. Yes that is right mine = 2003, yours = 2005. So before you get all high on your horse saying your not newbs, check your ego at the door.

Just because I don't have 244 posts, just means I don't run my mouth as much as you here.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:10 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

It's called get the TSB done and it resolves the problem. You even get new tires. You can't sue Nissan if they have already fixed the problem!

You sir need to do more research. You are just like the guy with the cleaner pants sueing and lost. Do so and you will also lose.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:20 AM
wikel

It's called get the TSB done and it resolves the problem. You even get new tires. You can't sue Nissan if they have already fixed the problem!

You sir need to do more research. You are just like the guy with the cleaner pants sueing and lost. Do so and you will also lose.

It was never fixed... that is the entire point. I'm not going to waste my time with people who don't understand the issue. Read the multiple feathering posts on this board and the number of people who have HAD the TSB and the issue HAS returned after 7k-10k miles.

End of discussion.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:24 AM
Billhyco

oh my, once again, i can see why your pursuing this lawsuit. you speak WAY before you know the facts.

ok my lawsuit happy 350Z owner, I worked for Nissan before, during and after the "tire feathering" issue. I know WAY more then I want to know about it. I have dealt with numerous amounts of customers concerning this issue, I have worked with factory reps, master techs, Hunter (i'm sure you know that is a alignment machine company since you are well informed) and outside shops... care to inform me on what i DON"T know about this issue??? So my high horse stands firm.... you on the other hand, are pissin' in the wind with your little $400 lawsuit. But its cool, **** away all ya like. You are the reason half of my college buddies still have there attorney positions.

Last edited by Billhyco; 06-26-2007 at 06:27 AM.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:51 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

It was never fixed... that is the entire point. I'm not going to waste my time with people who don't understand the issue. Read the multiple feathering posts on this board and the number of people who have HAD the TSB and the issue HAS returned after 7k-10k miles.

End of discussion.

EOD for someone who has no clue what they are talking about. TSB fixes the problem and many have had it fixed. Again you can't sue when they have a TSB that resolves the issue.

May I suggest a BAN for this noob?
Old 08-18-2008, 06:14 PM
wikel

Hey Solo... Can you say $25k for a 03 base buyback? Ahh.... My problems are gone, who's the noob now?
Old 08-18-2008, 07:19 PM
jgregory124

Hey Solo... Can you say $25k for a 03 base buyback? Ahh.... My problems are gone, who's the noob now?
No soup for you......you may have joined in 03 what could you have possibly done in your massive 25 or so post for others to benefit from? all these guys try to give you info in an area that they are knowledgeable in are and your an @ss........then you come back after things work out for you and instead of explaining how this worked out so it can possibly benefit others....you become the douche all over again = you fail dont buy another Z by a honda.....
Old 08-18-2008, 09:21 PM
SilverTrack03

I had my alignment done at nissan for tire feathering. And it came back just as bad. I had it done at an outside shop, tires roated in the front and its still there although not as bad. Fixed... maybe i need to find a new nissan dealer?
Old 08-19-2008, 05:26 AM
wikel

jgregory,

I was responding to the attack dogs which include solo above that lit into me with the general attacks of "I don't have the problem so you must be stupid" posts that I received here when I posted I was taking legal action and recommended everyone else that could do the same if they had the option available. Call me what you want, anyone that wants to know can PM me and I will provide details, which I have done in another post here... INCLUDING pointing to the case information that is available online, but I don't help anyone right? Whatever...

There main defense is that is "by design" and even asked if I understood that the tire warranty was separate from the car warranty. To which I responded, if I called the tire manufacturer to the stand they would say it was a design defect in the car. They even tried to claim I modified the car, which the only thing I ever did was put tint on the windows.

For all those waiting for Nissan to come to your rescue, keep waiting. I guess that class action lawsuit which resulted in a dealer coupon makes everything soooo much better. This car has a defective design and the resale value reflects it. Go ahead and pay $1000 a year front tires on rear wheel drive car, it's your $$$ waste if you want to. They are stalling you with free tire swaps until you run out of options to file a lawsuit (which by the way is at the 5 year point from purchase).

The reason I haven't posted much here is that this site has turned into a bunch of Nissan kool-aid drinking lemmings, which if anyone steps out of the Barney "I love you, you love me" relationship with Nissan is considered a traitor and attacked.

My only fault here was deciding to pay $30k for a car with the assumption that it was a quality product. At least Honda can make a $15k car correctly and it doesn't sound like a tank rolling down the highway after 10k miles. If I wanted that type of noise I would have bought a truck, jacked it up and put massive tires on it.

Quick Reply: Tire feathering