Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

after 12 hrs of ownership, car is in the shop

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2003, 10:00 PM
HDK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation after 12 hrs of ownership, car is in the shop

I finally found the 350Z I wanted, and was happy beyond words can describe. However, after only 12 hours of ownership, the car already has problem(s)

I was out on a drive, getting the feel of the new car, then I noticed white smoke coming from the bottom of the car. When I stopped and checked the engine and bottom of the car, I noticed it was LEAKING OIL!!

I had no choice but to drop it off at a local Nissan dealership, which the service dept was closed of course. They can't look at until Monday morning.

So after only 12 hours of excitement, I am parted with my brand new car. This is ridiculous. has anyone else here experienced similar problem? Is this car destined to have more problems? Any suggestions as to what Nissan owes me as compensation? I am so beyond pissed.
Old 05-03-2003, 10:28 PM
350z4steve

Default Re: after 12 hrs of ownership, car is in the shop

Originally posted by HDK
I finally found the 350Z I wanted, and was happy beyond words can describe. However, after only 12 hours of ownership, the car already has problem(s)

I was out on a drive, getting the feel of the new car, then I noticed white smoke coming from the bottom of the car. When I stopped and checked the engine and bottom of the car, I noticed it was LEAKING OIL!!

I had no choice but to drop it off at a local Nissan dealership, which the service dept was closed of course. They can't look at until Monday morning.

So after only 12 hours of excitement, I am parted with my brand new car. This is ridiculous. has anyone else here experienced similar problem? Is this car destined to have more problems? Any suggestions as to what Nissan owes me as compensation? I am so beyond pissed.
Bummer where in Cali/dealership did you get the lemon?
Old 05-03-2003, 10:50 PM
zpeedDemon

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There were some issues about the Z leaking oil I posted about it awhile back. Here are some articles I found about it from the net.

Since I dont know exactly where the oil is coming from maybe these will help you determine the location where its coming from. Sorry to hear about your problems. I hope that it gets fixed.

http://www.zcar.com/forums/read.php?f=5&i=79144&t=79144

http://www.zcar.com/forums/read.php?f=5&i=79662&t=79662

Old 05-03-2003, 10:52 PM
Silver Bullit II

If I were you, I would sell it and buy a cadillac with a faux drop top.
Old 05-03-2003, 11:50 PM
RANDY350Z

You technically have 48-72 hours to take a car back. Check local state law. Here in Md you have 72 hours even if you have signed loan papers. Since you only have had it for 12 hours I would take it back, say you want another one and demand it. This sounds like further problems ahead. don't back down either. Call your salesman and tell him/her you want a differnt car. good luck!
Old 05-04-2003, 01:44 AM
350z4steve

Originally posted by RANDY350Z
You technically have 48-72 hours to take a car back. Check local state law. Here in Md you have 72 hours even if you have signed loan papers. Since you only have had it for 12 hours I would take it back, say you want another one and demand it. This sounds like further problems ahead. don't back down either. Call your salesman and tell him/her you want a differnt car. good luck!
Is that true in all states? Its interesting because here in california they have sgins at dealerships saying once you sign the contract its yours and cant be returned unless its agreed upon to break the contract.hmm hope you can break yours
Old 05-04-2003, 02:01 AM
mistahbruin

Damn man. Sorry to hear that. I know how hard you were looking for your Z. I'm still looking for mine. Santa Monica is not a good place to shop.
Old 05-04-2003, 03:19 AM
Rob Nance

Originally posted by mistahbruin
Damn man. Sorry to hear that. I know how hard you were looking for your Z. I'm still looking for mine. Santa Monica is not a good place to shop.
If it was just something like a little bit of oil was lost, because of a loose oil filter or oil plug or something, I'd say keep it and demand the best extended warranty for free and double the free oil changes they would normally give you.

If it's something more, like a seal, demand a new car. I don't care what state it is, you don't have to keep it. I could not see Nissan NA making you keep a car that had a real problem from day one.

Keep us posted.
Old 05-04-2003, 08:39 AM
all_bark

If you bought it at a Mossy dealership they do give you three days here in So - Cal.

Take it back and get another.

Demand a PEFECT Z ??? (get it - nothings perfect )
Old 05-04-2003, 08:47 PM
RANDY350Z

Besides, the dealership is not going to try and sue you for a 35000.00 car when they know they can unload it in a few hours. You have just cause, worse case scenerio park the car outside on their lot w/ a sign on the inside saying "LEMON" and keep it locked! Seriously though they should be able to accomidate you or ask for a free extended warranty ----say " ok, you (dealership) are guarenteeing to me that this is not a lemon, then back it up w/ a no charge full extended warranty--bumper to bumper !"
Old 05-05-2003, 08:02 AM
HDK

I did some brief research, and it appears that other Zs are experiencing this problem too. Some are very faint so drivers are not even aware of it until they jack the car up. There is another thread on this...

Also, I have to say, the service I've gotten from both my selling dealer and the dealer that's examining my car is horrible!! The attitude everyone gives me is pretty much- I sold it, you deal with it.

I will find out the results in a few hours...I am so pissed.
Old 05-05-2003, 03:11 PM
HDK

ok ...just spoke to my advisor:

he said he raised the car up, cleaned up the obvious leaked oil. Ran it for a couple of hours, no sign of leak. Then they test drove it for @ 12 miles (slowly i hope) then brought the car back on the jack - no leaks.

He did notice the dip stick was loose. i was checking the dip stick AFTER the smoke and leaking of oil so maybe it wasn't put back properly. However, unless the dip stick was loose from the factory, that cause should be ruled out.

He said the only other reason could be someone spilled some oil in the engine bay and it just dripped down.......i dont think so.

Anyway, he could not give me a definite cause. He assures me it's "dry as a bone." I really hope this problem does not come back NOR do the other MANY problems that plague Zs...
Old 05-20-2003, 04:48 PM
DIGItonium

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eugh... my turn. I noticed a slight dark stain by the valve
cover weeks ago.

At the time my car had about 2k miles on it.

Just recently I took a cotton swab and cleaned the
stain, and it turned out to be oil.

I looked around and there did not see drips or anything.

I'm guessing it's valve gasket leak on the driver side...
passenger side isn't as bad.

[sigh] it takes alot to convince me to allow nissan service
tech to perform work on my car... I've been running
Mobil 1 Synthetic for about 300 miles now.

I'm surprised this happens to other Nissans.

Now I'm wondering if this car even wants to drive
hard anymore...