Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

popping sound coming from the right front wheel well

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2003, 09:44 AM
Reddevil

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question popping sound coming from the right front wheel well

i'm wondering if any of you have this problem with your Z. I have the track model. When i'm in reverse with the wheel turned all the way, i hear one popping noise coming from the right wheel. I am not sure what it is, im not sure if its something i should bring to the dealer and complain or its a normal thing. Please advice! Thanks!
Old 05-05-2003, 10:00 AM
lotus

Do you have a cat thats missing by chance?
Old 05-05-2003, 10:49 AM
westpak
SFZCC

Default Re: popping sound coming from the right front wheel well

Originally posted by Reddevil
i'm wondering if any of you have this problem with your Z. I have the track model. When i'm in reverse with the wheel turned all the way, i hear one popping noise coming from the right wheel. I am not sure what it is, im not sure if its something i should bring to the dealer and complain or its a normal thing. Please advice! Thanks!
This has been documented on various threads but it is basically the bolts on the upper control arm are lose, have them check both sides, because once they fixed one side for me 2 weeks later the other side started.
Old 05-05-2003, 11:10 AM
Reddevil

Question

westpak: thanks for the info. I called the nissan dealer and set an appointment to have it checked out, but they said they havent heard about this problem before. Is this a well known problem for the Z?
Old 05-05-2003, 11:28 AM
westpak
SFZCC

Originally posted by Reddevil
westpak: thanks for the info. I called the nissan dealer and set an appointment to have it checked out, but they said they havent heard about this problem before. Is this a well known problem for the Z?
Yes it is, trust me when they check the torque on those bolts they will see. Mine made the noise when I made sharp u-turns/backing up with the wheel turned and it got to the point it made the noise when I came to a stop or going over speed bumps, it only gets worse.

If you can have them get in the car and show them, otherwise you might get a "couldn't duplicate" response when you pick it up. You have to duplicate the situation exactly or they wont hear it.
Old 05-05-2003, 01:01 PM
z_brit

I had a similar problem with a clunking sound coming from the rear passenger well when turning or pulling away at low speeds.

I took my car into the dealership last week to have a MIL, and squeak looked at as well as this.

I'm not sure what they did to the car with regards to this issue, but on the invoice sheet it says something like...

"Defects at this time 900IPACN"

...and then in the section regarding the clunk sound it says...

"Completed 900IPACN".

I'm not entirely sure what a 900IPACN is, but I suppose this is what they did. If anyone knows what that is, then I'd be interested in hearing about it.

Since the problem was fairly intermittent I'm reserving judegment for a while until I'm sure it's no longer present, but I will report my findings once I am.
Old 05-06-2003, 08:04 PM
350z03

Default Same Here

I've replied to this issue before. But to let you know, make sure they do a good job to of tightening the bolts, because the problem is back again for me. I am going to bring it in again. BTW, I also have the feathering issue.
Listed are all of my issues:

Feathering
Popping sound (Turns, slow downs, reverse to forward and bumps)
Rattling in the center console (where the three meter are located)
Rattling in steering wheel (plastic tapping sound)
Window Grease

I am really getting frustrated. At a verge of regret for getting the car.

Black Track
Old 05-29-2003, 01:17 PM
Reddevil

Talking popping noise is gone!

i took my car to the dealer and they said that they couldnt replicate the noise but they retorque all the bolts to the suspension members... they also fixed my oil streak on my driverside windows. I am now all ok. no feathering problem so thats really nice too!
Old 06-06-2003, 01:57 PM
nandoarc

Question

I went to the dealer today to do oil change and told them about the noise coming out of the passanger side, the technician found the noise coming out of the passanger side hub bearing. they placed an order. At the begining I did not trust the technican, but I saw the Service Manager take the car for a ride also....will see....
Old 06-08-2003, 07:42 AM
takes12no1z

Default I had this issue

The first time they said they couldn't reproduce it. Which was understandable. It was only really loud when I left it sitting for a few hours then backed out of my parking space at work. I also heard it every once in a while when turning while driving. I took it back in once it had gotten worse. They were then able to reproduce it when turning right while going up a driveway slope.

The retensioned all of my suspension bolts in the right front and the problem is now gone.

The feathering is definetly not gone.... but thats another story.
Old 06-08-2003, 08:22 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Default Re: I had this issue

Originally posted by takes12no1z
The first time they said they couldn't reproduce it. Which was understandable. It was only really loud when I left it sitting for a few hours then backed out of my parking space at work. I also heard it every once in a while when turning while driving. I took it back in once it had gotten worse. They were then able to reproduce it when turning right while going up a driveway slope.

The retensioned all of my suspension bolts in the right front and the problem is now gone.

The feathering is definetly not gone.... but thats another story.
Next time you have it in, have them retorque the left side as well, mine started on the left side about 2-3 weeks after the right side was fixed.
Old 06-11-2003, 05:35 PM
Reddevil

Unhappy

Nissan told me that they retorque both sides of my car... i havent heard any popping noise so far... but now i have rattling noises coming from my door ... especially when im on rough roads... any of you have that problem?