Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Uh OHHHH!!!! ????

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 05:02 PM
ObZeZZed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Uh OHHHH!!!! ????

So its really hot out, but whats new, this has never happened before, EVER.
Im almost home and AC has been off for 5-10mins, when I notice the Temp guage almost into the H zone. Normally it sits below half way and never EVER goes above it. Wasnt driving unusual or anything. Slow down and temp goes down, speed up and temp goes up, any gear any speed. At Idle, it sits at half way and doesnt drop to the normal zone. Then I noticed that my voltage was low and as I hit the gas, it goes up and when I sit at idle, it drops. Voltage dropped as low as 12v before I shut her off and that was after idleing for less than a minute. In addition, it seemed as though my oil pressure was low also, I seem to recall it not idling with the oil guage just barely hovering over the little pin at ZERO. Oil pressure does respond to throttle but seems low and the car has seemed a little slower than usual for the last week or so. When I popped the hood, nothing seemed unusual except for the immence amount of HEAT, coolant resovoir was at the line and all else seemed in order. No indicator lights went off or anything like that.

WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON WITH MY RIDE?

N/A, bolt ons only. 95k miles, new long block and tranny under warranty at 52k miles. Just got an oil change on Saturday and the car is well maintained, Im at the dealer atleast twice a month. Even before the engine replacement, it never did anything like this. Any help is greatly appreciated Gotta wait till Thursday morning to drive, ever so slowly, to the dealer.

Last edited by ObZeZZed; 07-03-2007 at 05:10 PM.
Old 07-03-2007, 05:03 PM
ohSIXz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check yer radiator fluid/coolant?
Old 07-03-2007, 05:06 PM
stein

+1^^ Check coolant, and since you got it hot you should check your oil, make sure it isn't milky! If it is you blew a head gasket!
Old 07-03-2007, 05:17 PM
ObZeZZed

Coolant is normal level and not boiling, didnt check the oil, but it was just changed by the dealer on Saturday. Also no indicator lights and it wasnt blowing smoke so I dont think its a head gasket. Wouldnt I get some lights or smoke if the head gasket blew? I really dont know but its parked and I need to start it to back it up an get the hood open and I dont want to start her now
Old 07-03-2007, 05:22 PM
dbasal

^^ +1 [Edit: To what stein said]

I had that happen in one of my cars. Not a lot of fun.

I have also had a cooling fan go out before.
You may want to check that they are operating correctly.
Old 07-03-2007, 05:23 PM
dbasal

Originally Posted by ObZeZZed
Coolant is normal level and not boiling, didnt check the oil, but it was just changed by the dealer on Saturday. Also no indicator lights and it wasnt blowing smoke so I dont think its a head gasket. Wouldnt I get some lights or smoke if the head gasket blew? I really dont know but its parked and I need to start it to back it up an get the hood open and I dont want to start her now
Coolant was normal color too? No oil in it?
Old 07-03-2007, 05:56 PM
bizcotch

Originally Posted by dbasal
^^ +1 [Edit: To what stein said]

I had that happen in one of my cars. Not a lot of fun.

I have also had a cooling fan go out before.
You may want to check that they are operating correctly.
+1 check fans. idle the car for about 5-10 minutes. You'll know you got a problem if the fans dont start within that time. keep an eye on the temp. while performing this test
Old 07-06-2007, 01:07 PM
ObZeZZed

Fan works. Still havent figured out the problem and the dealer couldnt recreate it but its getting worse so I will be going back tomorrow and it should happen for them quite easily. Anyway, I took some pictures yesterday on the way home, thought it might help with the dealer in case its not hot out tomorrow and it doesnt happen in their presence. The first 2 are Voltage, normal & low both at idle. The next 2 are OIl Pressure, at idle, normal and then LOW. Then, the temp guage. The tempature, outside, according to the car was 96F. Not that hot, and I would think that may be a little inaccurate, on the high end, if the car was running hot. I guess that depends on the location of the sensor though.
Attached Thumbnails Uh OHHHH!!!! ????-070507_17532.jpg   Uh OHHHH!!!! ????-070507_18401.jpg   Uh OHHHH!!!! ????-070607_11531.jpg   Uh OHHHH!!!! ????-070607_13431.jpg   Uh OHHHH!!!! ????-070507_18501.jpg  

Last edited by ObZeZZed; 07-06-2007 at 01:15 PM.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:12 PM
ObZeZZed

Temp outside
Attached Thumbnails Uh OHHHH!!!! ????-070507_18471.jpg  
Old 07-10-2007, 10:46 AM
ObZeZZed

So it looks we will be starting with a new Koyo radiator and hopr this fixes the problem. Next would be the Thermostat. Either way, I am told the radiator needs replacement so hopefully this solves the problems but if not then I guess we move on to the next thing....This is getting expensive already and we are only at step 1. I am freightened, wish me luck
Old 07-10-2007, 11:02 AM
Ztalker

a too low or too high oil pressure reading is caused by a faulty oil sending unit. You can pick one up at your dealer and install it yourself. It's located right next to the oil filter. A very simple procedure.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:17 AM
Ed 718
BRAVEHEART

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Seems rather strange Ryan I'd def have someone take a look at it.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:38 AM
dbasal

Originally Posted by ObZeZZed
So it looks we will be starting with a new Koyo radiator and hopr this fixes the problem. Next would be the Thermostat. Either way, I am told the radiator needs replacement so hopefully this solves the problems but if not then I guess we move on to the next thing....This is getting expensive already and we are only at step 1. I am freightened, wish me luck
Good luck for sure. I know the feeling though. I hate it when they just start throwing parts at it and HOPE the problem is fixed. I do not mind so much if they are under warranty, but not when I am paying for it.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:08 PM
Tomci08

Try bleeding the coolant line. I had something similar with mine after i had the radiator pulled during my pulley install. After bleeding it, no more problems for me.

Tom
Old 07-10-2007, 01:44 PM
ObZeZZed

Its at West Covina now and these guys have beem servicing my car sice I bought it a few years ago,(of course they were all at Performance back then)I wouldnt trust it with anyone else. If they say I need a radiator, I need a radiator. The thing is until the radiator is done, they wont know if this solves ALL the problems. Radiator should solve the temp problem and maybe the others are related. If not then they will replace the thermostat. Keeping in mind that both the radiator and thermostat have 95k miles on them. (engine and tranny were replaced at 52k miles) So I suppose it is reasonable that it would be aboout time for replacement anyway and considering at has restricted flow and I am overheating, IT HAS TO GO. As far as the oil goes, if it isnt resolved by fixing the tempature issue, then I guess they will logically have to check the sending unit next. As far as Voltage, Alternators cant be cheap so I hope its not that. Plus they said both the battery and alternator tested fine.

Should be ready for pick up tomorrow, as long as everything is fine after they test drive it. Either way, I got a good month of paranoid glances at my guages ahead of me before I feel comfortable enough to drive her long distances. Sucks because we are planning a drive to either Montana or Oregon next month and she has to be in top shape or no road trip
Old 07-10-2007, 03:32 PM
ObZeZZed

Originally Posted by Tomci08
Try bleeding the coolant line. I had something similar with mine after i had the radiator pulled during my pulley install. After bleeding it, no more problems for me.

Tom
Why did they pull your radiator for a pulley install?
Old 07-10-2007, 03:51 PM
Kuruma-san

did you try the thermistat?
Old 07-11-2007, 03:54 PM
ObZeZZed

Its fine now but they reccomended I replace it soon anyway. Now that I have the Koyo in, im just gonna get the NISMO Thermostat next month.