Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Confused??? My clutch fluid is gone/leaked out, and I have no power steering

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007 | 01:37 PM
craigo'sznprgrs

Default Confused??? My clutch fluid is gone/leaked out, and I have no power steering

Alright, I think/know the greddy kit is the culpret (sp), but around 2 weeks ago, I noticed that there was fluid under my car, so I decided that I should drive the car since I was having the block built anyway. I thought today, since I haven't started the car in so long that I would take it around the neighborhood and circulate the fuel so to speak.

I filled the clutch fluid back up with DOT 3, I had to guess, and checked all of the other fluids and they all looked fine, but as soon as I turned the wheel, no power steering??? After about a mile, I decided to put her back in the garage, and looked under the hood and there is power steering fluid, just considerably low. What type of power steering fluid does everyone recommend and the place where I am having the block built is 70 miles from my house, is the car safe to drive there or would you recommend trailering it?

Thanks in advance

Craig
Old 07-05-2007 | 08:18 AM
VO...
Administrator

From what I can understand, you found your clutch fluid low so you filled it. Then after test driving it, you found you power steering fluid was low, so now you need to fill it and you need know what type of fluid to use.

You also want to know if it's safe to drive the car 70miles.

Is all this correct?

If your clutch fluid isn't leaking anywhere, I wouldn't worry about driving it 70miles as long as the fluid level is maintained at a good level.

I've posted the fluid spec chart for you to refer to in regards to the power steering fluid. It's in your manual as well as the top 100 questions thread.
https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-nissan-350z/197329-the-top-100-common-questions.html

Old 07-05-2007 | 08:52 AM
craigo'sznprgrs

Originally Posted by vo7848
From what I can understand, you found your clutch fluid low so you filled it. Then after test driving it, you found you power steering fluid was low, so now you need to fill it and you need know what type of fluid to use.

You also want to know if it's safe to drive the car 70miles.

Is all this correct?

If your clutch fluid isn't leaking anywhere, I wouldn't worry about driving it 70miles as long as the fluid level is maintained at a good level.

I've posted the fluid spec chart for you to refer to in regards to the power steering fluid. It's in your manual as well as the top 100 questions thread.
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=197329

Thank you. As far as the top 100 questions go, I appreciate the time and effort, but if you answer all the questions and don't allow folks to ask questions, doesn't that defeat the purpose behind the forum. Given, I understand certain noob questions are completely bogus, but this question was posed with suggestions for troubleshooting and honest personal opinions needed.

I did drive the car a little and it hasn't lost any fluids in over a day, but the power steering fluid level has moved up again right under the minimum level, it seems to get lower when the car is on, is that normal?

Also, I wasn't being confrontational with what I said earlier, just curious.
Old 07-05-2007 | 10:55 AM
VO...
Administrator

Originally Posted by craigo'sznprgrs
Thank you. As far as the top 100 questions go, I appreciate the time and effort, but if you answer all the questions and don't allow folks to ask questions, doesn't that defeat the purpose behind the forum. Given, I understand certain noob questions are completely bogus, but this question was posed with suggestions for troubleshooting and honest personal opinions needed.
I was just pointing you in the right direction
I did drive the car a little and it hasn't lost any fluids in over a day, but the power steering fluid level has moved up again right under the minimum level, it seems to get lower when the car is on, is that normal?
Only check you levels when the car is off and on a flat surface. You wouldn't check your oil level while the car's on, would you?
Also, I wasn't being confrontational with what I said earlier, just curious.
no offense taken
Old 07-05-2007 | 11:11 AM
craigo'sznprgrs

Right on, thank you for the direction. I will try it when I get home. I am just glad I have another car to use as a daily driver.
Old 07-05-2007 | 11:13 AM
VO...
Administrator

I am just glad I have another car to use as a daily driver.
Same here. It's a life saver..
Old 07-06-2007 | 05:41 AM
HondaKiller
Banned

i used to have problems with the power steering pump in my camry. The thing would stop itself up in the cold weather, wouldn't leak at all, summer came around and it would need refilling once a week. Not to the worst fix, but a pita to swap.