Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Throttle lag?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 04:18 PM
Miche350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle lag?

I feel that my 2004 350Z has some throttle lag issues. When I press the gas all the way down from a full stop there is like a 2-4 second lag. The car would roll and such but it feels as if the car is loosing power or something because of not enough throttle response? Same thing goes if push the gas all the way down from a roll so I can pass a car or something. The car never felt like this and it use to feel more reponsive or something. Is there anything I can do to improve the responsiveness of my car?
Old 07-14-2007, 04:24 PM
LaoSiFu

Try removing and cleaning your throttle body. It has helped me in the past.

~Robert
Old 07-14-2007, 06:49 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

there is no need to clean the throttle body on a new car, or nearly new car

if its never done it before, bring it to the dealer and take the tech for a ride to get it solved...anything short of that and you'll be guessing
Old 07-19-2007, 09:43 PM
Miche350Z

How would I go about making the throttle more reponsive with aftermarket parts?
Old 07-20-2007, 04:20 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If its as bad as you say there is something wrong with the car. Our DBW is not slow like on VW's, its nice IMO.
Old 07-20-2007, 05:51 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

exactly - there is no lag with the drive by wire on this car whatsoever

Ever drive an 06 Si? Now that has DBW lag....even my Audi is WAY better

How do you improve throttle response? Easy - reduce rotational mass. Light flywheel, light pulley, light wheels, etc. Those are the simplest, most effective ways
Old 07-20-2007, 08:21 AM
nismology1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Larger MAF housing will improve response as well. Tried and true in the maxima community.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:18 AM
failsafe306

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is your idle shakey at all?

Check your air filter to make sure it's not all clogged up with dust and leaves

Try cleaning your MAF with MAF cleaner.

Run through this tank of gas and fill back up, see if it's any better. Could be bad gas.

If all else fails, take it to the dealer.

Last edited by failsafe306; 07-20-2007 at 09:20 AM.
Old 08-18-2007, 12:33 PM
Miche350Z

I took it to the deal and they noticed nothing and saw nothing wrong. I know there is something wrong, I can feel it. The intake was recently replaced and so was the air filter. The fuel system was recently cleaned with some fuel and injector cleaner. Could it be the spark plugs or dirty fuel sprayer?

Is this a good product or is it all hype like the Tornado? If it is good is this best and optimal model or is there something elese that is better, or does equally as well of a job but at a lower price? Does Nismo have something similar? Thankies
http://www.mynismo.com/products/Defa...id=5995&v=more
Old 08-18-2007, 12:36 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

no aftermarket part is going to cure such a problem - you need to bring it back to the dealer and show them the problem yourself, or, find a different service dept to bring it to
Old 08-18-2007, 12:45 PM
KhanMan

Is what she posted, grounding kit or something? Becuase, I have never seen grounding kit like that. Is it any better compared to the Nismo and Stillen kits?
Old 08-19-2007, 11:46 PM
Miche350Z

How would I go about upgrading my MAF or TB? If I do one do I have to do the other? And if I do one is a tune really required even if I just clean and port/polish my MAF or TB?
Old 08-20-2007, 05:30 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Miche350Z
How would I go about upgrading my MAF or TB? If I do one do I have to do the other? And if I do one is a tune really required even if I just clean and port/polish my MAF or TB?
Why do you insist on not taking the good advice and just randomly changing parts? Honestly, you've done a really poor job of even describing the problem, have given no info as to whether your car is a manual or auto, mileage, mods done, etc etc. You've also not described at what point the problem happened, etc. So not sure why you are expecting some sort of magic answer without providing these basic details. Not sure how you expect detailed help without giving detailed descriptions - especially if you bring the car to the dealership and just say "here - fix it".

You have a new, or presumably nearly new car, with a driveability issue - take it to the dealer, and SHOW them the problem. Just don't drop it off and tell them what is going on, take them for a ride and show them, under the conditions that your car does it. Taking that approach, as you seeminly have done here, has gotten you no closer to a solution. If the car is doing something now that it did not do previously, and you have not changed any aspects of the car, then let the dealer worry about it - that is why you have a warranty. If you have modded the car, go back over the installs and make sure everything is done properly, down to the last hose clamp being tight. If that does not solve it, go back to the stock parts and see if the issue goes away, and if its still there, bring it to the dealer. If that gets you no where, find another dealership or call Nissan USA directly.

There is no need to clean the MAF, and there is no way to upgrade the MAF, and porting it and polishing it frankly is a waste of time and seems to be beyond your scope (and still is not going to change anything). I have over 50k miles on my car, and have never cleaned the MAF....ever.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:07 AM
Q45tech

Simple to measure the time in milliseconds delay from throttle pedal signal to the reaction time of TB plate motor with a digital oscilloscope. Just because the throttle plate motor commands the plate to open fully doesn't mean the engine actually accelerates as fast as you think.......study injector time and timing advance rates.

Work for an engineer not usually a dealer technican

Study you FSM and get an OBD2 scanner.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:20 PM
coldmack

so what is the update here. where i can we get tb cleaned and polished in cali?
Old 08-20-2008, 12:38 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

If you have lag something is wrong, if everything is good and you still want better , get a lightweight flywheel.
Old 03-14-2009, 11:32 PM
Frequency 3.5.0

I've had similar if not same issue. I had a bone stock 03 performance 6MT bought used with 30k miles initially on oct 2007. The car felt very laggy and lazy on throttle/engine response/power, especially on 1st and 2nd gear which felt like it's lost a significant amount of torque and affected the shifting ability.

I then starting to mod my car; first with ACT clutch combo w/ street-lite flywheel - both throttle response and shifting were improved slightly but still felt very sluggish overall.. I then moved on with MD 5/16" spacer - 1st and 2nd throttle and acceleration improved but still feel lazy(lack of torque) from time to time(sometimes the power is there, other times it's not)... after that, I followed the "infamous" clutch adjustment method posted by Tantrum - the throttle and acceleration did improved significantly throughout every gear, the adjustment was made possible by upgrading to an AM clutch(had issue after adjustment in stock clutch). Finally, my most recent mod is the BLITZ throttle control which I find very helpful in "regulating" the throttle body control despite many arguments about the product tricking ECU signal such and such...

After all these mods, my car felt much faster and responsive compare to when I first bought it, although clutch chatter could be loud after the tranny gets warm...

I'm not offering a solution here, just sharing my experience on dealing with the laggy issue by means of modifications. Just like Z1 stated, if your car has a problem, it's always wise to have it checked out by professional first

Last edited by Frequency 3.5.0; 03-14-2009 at 11:34 PM.
Old 03-16-2009, 05:39 AM
bryan@Z1
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by coldmack
so what is the update here. where i can we get tb cleaned and polished in cali?
Anyone can clean a throttle body. All that requires is removing the air intake pipe, buying a can of throttle body cleaner and following the instructions on the can. There is no need to polish a throttle body on an otherwise stock car, or even mildly modified car. It's not going to gain anything.
Old 11-28-2013, 05:37 PM
RoadSurfer

Default Throttle Delay

Hey gang,

I recently picked up a clean '03 350Z Track, with 30K miles.
The car appears to be bone-stock. I love this lil car.

The 6-speed manual is sweet-shifting, but something I noticed right away, was there appears to be a slight delay, or something that might be described as a 'dead spot' when first opening the throttle. This is noticeable when pulling out from a stop, or when shifting at low rpm, or any time the throttle is first opened.

This lag is also noticeable when beginning exit acceleration out of a turn, if the throttle was closed entering the turn.

Once past the initial throttle opening, the car responds perfectly to throttle modulation, and is very responsive throughout the rpm range.

The Blitz website shows throttle response curves of their device compared to the stock setting, and their depiction of the stock response curve seems to describe what i'm seeing quite well.

I'm not really looking for 'more' throttle response, as the car performs great once you're past that first small 'dead spot'.

Has anyone on here had a similar issue with their car, and has experience with an ECU reflash or a Blitz type of device, and did it help this?

Thanks all,