Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Rattle from tranny when car not in gear and clutch out

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2003, 03:54 PM
haanz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone gotten a "fix" for the rattling? Or is it definitely how the car is built?
Old 07-28-2003, 04:02 PM
fanatic6711

I have a vibrating clutch too.... sucks, I thought it was just me. Wonder if this is a problem or just how it is. It doesn't happen when the car is stopped, just when I'm in gear. I thought it might be because of the exhaust or something like that?
Old 08-12-2003, 05:57 AM
flynnibus
Z Flier

I just had my tranny replaced.. with the complaints to the dealer about the noise when in neutral and clutch out.. and clashing/grinding gears.

After the replacement.. the clutch noise is GONE... the gears do not clash anymore, but its still a pretty rough shift. When I say clashing... you can feel the gears engage as you move the shifter into gear (not gates).
Old 09-08-2003, 06:59 AM
gooters

So, no9 consensus on the cause of the rattle yet? My rattles terribly when it is warmed up and I let it idle in neutral. Putting the clutch in makes the rattle go away.
Old 09-08-2003, 06:04 PM
Shift_Speed

seems to me that everyone is having a problem with the rattling... i have a little over 9,500 miles on my car and the ratttling issue is getting worse...

after i drive the car , and am about to park the car... i hear the chattering after the clutch is let off of... seems like the harder i drive the more obnoxious the chatter....

also the gears definately don't shift smoothly... its like a clunk feeling... has n e one fixed this problem yet .. or the chattering... please reply for the chatter makes my car feel like trash.... after i race and pull in to talk about it... everyone asks me what is that chatterin... come on now... a dodge neon doesn't even chatter ya know.... SO PLEASE GIVE FEED BACK
Old 09-09-2003, 12:57 PM
mdracer76
Banned

Default New Transmission?

From what I understand the first 6000 Z's have transmission issues.

I have pointed this out to my dealer, and they have mentioned that they have replaced 2 transmissions on 2 other early Vin # Z's.

I am now getting an occasional grind when I go into 3rd gear. I am going to be setting up an appointment with them to replace the tranny soon: even though I was hoping it would not come to that.

~Mike
Old 09-10-2003, 08:43 AM
Shift_Speed

i already got my trans swapped... and the rattle is still there when i let the clutch out... and the gears don't go in smoothly... it is very rough.... also... has n e one noticed the car is very shaky at idle... my car idles very roughly... is this normal???
Old 09-10-2003, 08:53 AM
vancitydude

rough idle is never normal in a premium sports car... if you're driving a '69 camaro yes, '03 z, no... try higher octane gas... seems to cure it for me...

had my tranny replaced a bout 2 weeks ago because of 1-2nd gear grinding on hard shifts... the growl in neutral is still there in my new tranny as well... guess it's the design... not the end of the world... incidently, i had a '90 z, and an '87 z, and they both growled in neutral as well...

i've read that nissan designed this transmission to feel a bit "notchy"... they say they wanted the driver to feel the transmission... i've also read reviews in magazines where the automotive columnists mention the notchy feel, but they don't do so in a negative tone... it's just the design of the car... porche's have a sh**ty interior, but you don't hear porche people complaining about their interiors, it's just the way it is...
Old 09-11-2003, 06:33 AM
350ZNY

Shift_Speed

My car idles rough at times also. I have been using 93 octane ever since I got the car so I dont think it is that. I am not sure why it does it but it isnt all the time. Bothers me a little but the car runs fine otherwise. I may have the dealer look at it.

Mine rattles when the clutch is out also, and I have some difficult 1-2 shifts. Car built 06/03. As it warms up it gets better. I am just going to run it.
Old 09-11-2003, 05:16 PM
Zzyzx

I first notice the clutch out "bearing-rattle" like noise about 2-3 weeks ago. I would never have noticed if it had not been pulling up close to a curb, turning down the radio and opening the window to talk to a neighbor. The car has been driving ok, except for gear grind during hard shift, which I had tought it was just me shifting badly.

Today I had brought the car in to have the front tire feathering alignment issue addressed (Nissan replacing front tires). I brought up the noise issue with my service writer, he listened and asked:
"Do the gears grind when you shift?"
"Yeah....occassionally", said I.
"Which gear do you usually gets the grind at?" Ask the service guy.
"Almost always going into third gear.", I told him.
"We gotta replace the transmission, we already have had a few of these issues. NNA just want us to replace them when this problem comes up.", he told me back.

I was more then a little surprised as you might imagine. I expected to get a full song and dance about the noise being normal. Now I have a tranny on order and it's due to be swapped out as soon as it arrives.....all covered under warranty. I had to go through a lot more hassel to get Nissan to replace the two badly feathered front tires. Go figure.
Old 09-14-2003, 10:53 PM
freshzz

I have this same problem.

I can clearly hear it when I pull into my garage.
Old 09-15-2003, 07:08 AM
Shift_Speed

i had a lot of issues with the car...

#1 grinding hard in thrid gear...
-replaced clevis pin even though i told them i needed a trans
- problem re-occured ... finally new trans...
#2 tire noise....
- NO FIX
#3 the rattling noise when the car is in neutral.... seriously makes the car sound like ***
- YET NO FIX
i have a lot of problems which i told my dealer and the dealer was a serious pain the *** to deal with.. so i'm goin to another dealership to get it fixed from now on...

i usually drive the car with my windows down and music up... but sometimes i have the windows up and music down... and then u can hear all the lil chatters this car has to offer....

-my right side alarm light rattles... my rear view rattles ... somethin in the center dash rattles... RATTLES ARE EVERY WHERE IN THIS CAR....

i was wondering ... if u guys drive ur car with the windows down... and u shift to 2nd... can u hear it engaging really loud... like a clunk sound.... i was just seeeing if that was normal....

i dunno seems like i have had a lot of bad things to say about this car... but it looks so beautiful and is so damn fast.... wish FREAKING NISSAN would be faster on the fixes we need....
Old 02-07-2004, 08:51 AM
freshzz

My car has this issue as well.

I also experience this rattle loudest when I first start my car in the morning then releasing the clutch. Then, I get the unfriendly clunk going from first to second.
Old 02-09-2004, 01:18 PM
jplvr

2 transmission replacements and a clutch replacement after that. Right before my clutch went out, I noticed the rattle in the drive-through window at my bank. A couple thousand miles later and it's back: clutch in, no sound; clutch out, people ask me what's making that terrible noise.

Not really getting a grind (3rd gear grind was my first tranny replacement), but I have some issues with 3rd gear still.

Don't really know what I'm hoping for since my lawyer assures me that one more transmission and I'm looking at a refund or a new car.
Old 02-09-2004, 05:24 PM
Beaker02

I've been told it's "NISSAN NORMAL". I have a 100K warrenty, i'm not worried.
Old 02-09-2004, 06:43 PM
shaun_walsh

I have 38K miles on my 03 Z. I drive alot, my daily commute is about 150 miles round trip. I have had the tranny replaced and I am still having the rattle probmlem with the clutch out. I took it to a Nissan dealership here in RSM and they "said" it was normal. I ask them if they bought that answer and they suggested I call Nissan directly to complain. I will use the information earlier in the thread to do that, however, this is very wierd thing for a car company not watn to fix.

Shaun
Old 02-23-2004, 02:21 PM
PoWeRtRiP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the rattle is not normal. i took mine into the shop today to have my axels tightened and told them about the noise in neutral and they are REPLACING MY TRANSMISSION. they said that ti should not grind like that in neutral and i am getting a new one on wednesday. at the very least guys take it in and have them at least take a look at it.
Old 02-23-2004, 07:48 PM
s9am_me

i also have this "bearing noise" at neutral. There was a thread a while back which pointed to the throw-out bearing on the clutch. but its not certain. i haven't taken it to the dealer because everytime i go to them.. they say its "normal". i also have that 3rd gear grind... but it comes and goes.. mostly goes. build is 9/02
Old 03-05-2004, 04:34 PM
speed350

Originally posted by alex30327
I,ve had the same rattle for over 13,000 miles and my tranny seems just fine (6sp manual). It think that it is just the way the car was designed, just like the vibrating shift ****. If you want a car that does not make any noise, get a Lexus.

My vibrating shift **** problem went away when I got a new nismo shift ****.
Old 03-10-2004, 07:20 PM
vonsudderth

The noise is not normal! The input ahaft bearing is dry when you start up the car. The transmission, in neutral, withthe clutch out makes the whining noise. This means that the clutch is not depressed and is engaged and the pilot buching is spinning at the same rate as the input shaft. With the clutch pedal out the only thing that can make this noise is the input shaft. This is the part that sticks out of the front of the transmission and intersects with the clutch, flywheel and pilot bushing. It is oiled through the process of splashing transmission fluid. When the car is at idle and in the morning you start your car and put it in neutral as the manual says. Well, the transmission is not moving any 75W80 GL4 grease and the input shaft bearings are getting cooked and that is what makes the noise. I find it interesting that a dealership can't figure this one out. Nissan is on the fourth redesign of the transmission to correct this and gear problems. Take the car in to the dealer and explain

Quick Reply: Rattle from tranny when car not in gear and clutch out