Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Rattle from tranny when car not in gear and clutch out

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 01:18 PM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by eat rice z33
i used to have a rattle from under the car and didnt sound like the tranny, i helped the techs and came with the conclusion that it was the heat shield, so we just bent it out with a crow bar and no more problem. i still have tranny noises and some clunking when going into second but this is all normal

you got to shift just right into 2nd to avoid the dreaded clunking.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:16 AM
15CrewChief

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone. I haven't put message on here ever, so I'm not sure if this is right. I took my 05 Z in on the tenth for the noise from the tranny. They sent me home and said that unless the car was grinding while trying to shift that Nissan would not allow them to change the transmission. They of course apologized and said if it gets any worse to bring it back in and then they could fix it. This is the point when I should have gotten a SECOND OPINION!!! I got into my car today to go to work and my car wouldn't go into reverse. When I let out on the clutch to try again the pedal stayed all the way to the floor. I finall got the car in reverse and headed straight to the dealership in 4th gear the whole way because my clutch was halfway pushed in. Once I got it there I was told that the clutch is not covered under the warranty because it is a normal "wear and tear" item, just like brake pads and I would have to pay for it out of pocket. Luckily the dealership said that they were going to cover half of the price because my car only has 11,000 miles on it and they feel really bad because I just bought it from them 3-4 months ago. It is still going to cost me around $1,500 to get this repaired. If anyone is having this prob bring the car in! IF the dealer gives you the run-around GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!!!
Old 06-30-2006, 06:25 AM
mdracer76
Banned

Originally Posted by 15CrewChief
Hi everyone. I haven't put message on here ever, so I'm not sure if this is right. I took my 05 Z in on the tenth for the noise from the tranny. They sent me home and said that unless the car was grinding while trying to shift that Nissan would not allow them to change the transmission. They of course apologized and said if it gets any worse to bring it back in and then they could fix it. This is the point when I should have gotten a SECOND OPINION!!! I got into my car today to go to work and my car wouldn't go into reverse. When I let out on the clutch to try again the pedal stayed all the way to the floor. I finall got the car in reverse and headed straight to the dealership in 4th gear the whole way because my clutch was halfway pushed in. Once I got it there I was told that the clutch is not covered under the warranty because it is a normal "wear and tear" item, just like brake pads and I would have to pay for it out of pocket. Luckily the dealership said that they were going to cover half of the price because my car only has 11,000 miles on it and they feel really bad because I just bought it from them 3-4 months ago. It is still going to cost me around $1,500 to get this repaired. If anyone is having this prob bring the car in! IF the dealer gives you the run-around GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!!!

Take it to another dealership. I'd mention that you know that there have been TSB's on the tranny. If they still refuse to cover the problem then ask your regional forum which is a good dealer. g'luck
Old 07-13-2006, 09:45 PM
Tekwon-V

i just got a replacement transmission on my 03. 009 tranny and a clutch disk replacement.

the rattle noise is gone. so happy.
Old 07-15-2006, 04:09 AM
jimsZ

I had a rattle noise from my 06 Z and went to the dealer I was told they had to change the drive shaft. It has since been repaired and the noise is still there just not as loud. I went back again and was told from the mechanic that the noise I hear now is normal. I guess I have to wait until the noise gets louder again before they will do something. The mechanic also told me he knew there was problems with the Z tranny when it first came out.

Nissan told him that it was a sports car and should feel like one.
Old 07-15-2006, 11:01 AM
Miko

I don't think the rattle is all that bad. Whats bad sometimes is when in neutral, you push the clutch in, and let it out real fast, and end up hearing a loud thud.
Old 04-27-2021, 05:38 AM
JCat
---------------
Premier Member

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Long time member here, 17 years.
I had M1 Motorsports replace my transmission, pressure plate, clutch, flywheel, throw out bearing, slave cylinder . . . . basically everything. I believe my new flywheel is a Jim Wolf ? but what is important is that it is non-stock.
When my clutch peddle is not pushed in, the rattle is so loud, that it sounds like the car is about to fall apart. I know from all the threads here, that this is "normal".
M1 did a fine job. It has lasted me over 6 years with no problems (I had many transmission problems before). The noise has been there since day 1 of everything being replaced.

BUT, after 6 years of listening to this horrible rattle, it is wearing on me. It sure sounds like the throw out bearing to me.
Has anyone here found a solution ? I know reverting to stock is one solution, are there any others ?

On other vehicles I've owned, the throw out bearing has spring loaded hooks or clamps that attach it to the fork. Is the 350Z's like that ? Is the diameter of the throw out bearing too large for the input shaft ?

I would like to think that in 17 years somebody has solved this problem.

Last edited by JCat; 04-27-2021 at 05:55 AM.