Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Rattle from tranny when car not in gear and clutch out

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 05:00 PM
Tweety-nator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same noise, and is noticeable when I first start up the car in the morning. After driving around for about 15 minutes the rattling noise is a lot quieter. It is still there, but is muted.
Old 06-25-2004, 10:41 PM
350redline

SAME PROBLEM HERE TOO!......i just pretent like i dont hear it. i think that nissan should buy every one that has a 350Z a skyline.
Old 06-25-2004, 10:43 PM
mode101

if anyone has had their tranny replaced under warranty, and it fixed this issue, PLEASE let us know ..
Old 07-06-2004, 05:26 PM
1nate7

Bump for a helpful thread. After some hard driving on a twisty road, I put my 03 G35 in neutral and got out to stretch. I could not believe the rattling sound coming from my car. At first I thought maybe the culprit was my Borla exhaust and the connection to the cats. I was amazed when I put the clutch in and the sound completely disappeared and the car idled like it should. I am going to see what the dealer has to say when I next take it in for service, probably still 2 months away. The nasty rattle excluded, I have had no tranny problems at all. I love my car, but its disappointing that a $35k "luxury sport coupe" rattles like a rust bucket at stoplights.
Old 08-05-2004, 08:46 AM
Zbigdoggy

Having the exact same problem for the last year - clutch vibrates when warm, rattles when clutch is out - rattles really loud as you turn the car off...

After 4 trips to the dealer over about 12 months I've finally got them to replace my tranny, clutch, & flywheel under warrenty.

Lets see if this finally fixes the problem, to be continued....
Old 08-13-2004, 11:29 PM
lamicone

Question Clunking from Trans in Neutral

Originally posted by freshzz
I have this same problem.

I can clearly hear it when I pull into my garage.
Ok, here are my questions. Please anyone let me know if you have noticed this. I pull into the garage, and take it her out of gear and just sit there. After about a minute or so I can hear and feel what sounds like clunks from the transmission. They are hard enough that you can actually feel the car move a little. Has anyone noticed this? The clunks are loud also. The other thing that I noticed (not as bad) is the sound of the shift linkage while shifting. My wife pulled out of the driveway the other day, and I could actually hear the linkage rattling as she shifted. Car only has 1100 miles on it.
Old 08-13-2004, 11:37 PM
ISH

Originally posted by LBSOHK
ok so i got the call from my dealer , he said the noise is not normal , they are aware of the noise and as for now he ordered a new tranny for my car.... couldnt tell me exactly where the noise was coming from .... im a little worried , my Z is the first one they will do the major service on... also little strange that they cant tell me what exactly is wrong , his words were " there is definitly a strange noise coming from the tranny we will replace it "
well i guess they are fixing the problem so i shouldnt *****...
thumbs up for my dealer
What dealer?
Old 08-13-2004, 11:47 PM
ISH

Default Re: Clunking from Trans in Neutral

Originally posted by lamicone
Ok, here are my questions. Please anyone let me know if you have noticed this. I pull into the garage, and take it her out of gear and just sit there. After about a minute or so I can hear and feel what sounds like clunks from the transmission. They are hard enough that you can actually feel the car move a little. Has anyone noticed this? The clunks are loud also. The other thing that I noticed (not as bad) is the sound of the shift linkage while shifting. My wife pulled out of the driveway the other day, and I could actually hear the linkage rattling as she shifted. Car only has 1100 miles on it.
Unfortunately both are normal. This is my second Z and I've had them on both. The clunks aren't loud but you can definitely feel them if you hold the shifter. The shift linkage is loud and definitely annoying. But I guess we'll just have to live with it.
Old 08-14-2004, 04:30 AM
LBSOHK

Originally posted by ISH
What dealer?
East Coast , in Englewood Cliffs NJ
I dont recommend them ...
Old 08-31-2004, 06:08 PM
kslerch

Here is my experience with the tranny problems:

'03 Touring, pre-ordered by my uncle. I bought it from him with 7k on it. Shortly after buying it, I noticed the EXACT noise that was previously posted in the mpeg clip. I thought it was unusual, made some calls and was told it was normal. I drove it like that for 5 months with no problems...very smooth shifting, etc. Then on a highway trip, I geared down to 4th for a very fast pass, and noticed a slight grind going into 6th. Didn't even really feel it, but heard it. I could repeat this every time going into 6th at a moderately fast shift speed. At slow/reasonable shift speed, this did not happen. When I got off the highway, I geared down into 2nd hard and it again ground the gears. Drove home that Sunday with no problems. I live in Auburn, AL...small town, not too many Z's around here...so I took the car to Regal Nissan outside of Atlanta to look at it (my dad lives there and I used them before...). If anyone is around Atlanta, I highly recommend this dealership. Long story made short, they basically agreed that there was an issue and immediately replaced the tranny with a newer revision tranny no questions asked. They also replaced the clevis pin in the pedal mechanism and replaced the two front tires all under warranty and all within 5 days of dropping it off. This took place at ~16k.

New tranny is extremely notchy in 5th and 6th. Noise is gone, other than notchiness it drives great. Dealership told me they had already replaced 10+ trannys and that this is a known problem. Don't let them give you any BS about this being "normal" because that is a total load of crap. We didn't pay ~$30k for a car that sounds like that and eventually degrades to having shift problems. I now have 20k on the car and still have no problems. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 09-09-2004, 07:45 PM
ahagist

I have all the above issues, some worse than others, the grinding, the notchy shifting, the random rattles. I took it in a while back and the told me they could not duplicate it. Did get the front tires replaced, but now the steering wheel is not straight. And I get random tire pressure failure lights. Hmmmm I got a 04 with 10k on it. I still love the car, but Im starting to wonder why. if its because I think its a sweet ride? Or I love it just so I dont have to face the fact that it might just be a 30k turd. Im a Z owner who is loosing faith in the Z.
Old 09-09-2004, 09:49 PM
DB350ZR

I thought I got rid of that clutch rattle when I totaled my Ducati 998!

I have it too.
Old 09-11-2004, 12:01 PM
Zbigdoggy

... and the follow up to my previous post... new tranny and clutch replaced under warrenty... didn't fix the noise.

back to dealer to i go.
Old 09-13-2004, 02:39 PM
DrFlsgood

Default clutch noise/ rattle in neutral

Originally posted by LBSOHK
i just droped off my car to a dealer yesterday because of this rattle.. he called me back today saying its definately tranny problem , he couldnt tell me exactly what was the problem cause he was still waiting for the " autorization from nissan " to take my car apart my car only has 2000 miles on it , i broke her in properly and now this , i'll let u know when i hear from him again

Had my Z in for the same thing. New clutch assembly & trany going in this Wed. Authorization took 1 day. Parts took 2 Wks to come in.
Old 09-22-2004, 09:39 PM
daletexas

i had my trany replace. noise went away but came back. my car work fine. i drive my car vary hard. i dont baby it. the noise is there not worries about it. a nissan tech. told me that they cant really fix it. because the car that come in work fine. but the noise is there. i am in a z club in dallas/fort worth. alot of us have the same problem. but not worrie about it. nothing have been broken in any of our Z club member.
Old 09-22-2004, 09:45 PM
daletexas

yes in texas u can get a new one or nissan will buy it back at full price. call TXDOT.OR TYPE LEMON LAW TEXAS. call them and file a complain. they will help u get a new one or buy back. lemon law in texas if same problem more than 3 times or same problem in less than 12000 miles apart . THIS IS FOR (MODE 101) in texas

Last edited by daletexas; 09-22-2004 at 09:54 PM.
Old 09-23-2004, 06:25 PM
DrFlsgood

Picked up the car Friday. Runs well, trany tight without shaking while driving. Pattern tight and short - - really feels good. However, after the car warms up and is driven for a while, the damn rattlle is there, not wuite as loud as before, but still there.
Old 09-28-2004, 08:03 PM
mudger

Is there a TSB for the tranny rattle?
Old 09-30-2004, 04:00 PM
DrFlsgood

I'm not sure, but the dealer checked with nissan rep and the clutch and tranny were replaced under warranty without any question or problem.
Old 10-11-2004, 12:27 PM
showtime

man first it was the tire feathering issue, and now tranny probs.
I do not think I want a Z anymore. I was planning on buying a 05 in january

Quick Reply: Rattle from tranny when car not in gear and clutch out