Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Rattle from tranny when car not in gear and clutch out

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 09:33 AM
Wotnot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I know that mine is definitely

Originally Posted by Ztalker
regarding the throwout bearing rattle....
My 03Z has 16000 miles on it and the throwout bearing does rattle a little bit in neutral when idling warm but it don't bother me a bit as long as it doesn't rattle when changing gears. By the way, my transmission is the original tranny and so far it's been well behaved. I've heard rattling throwout bearing in a BMW M3 6/spd., believe me I would've been pissed if I had paid 60 grand for a rattling clutch assembly. Well...I could be wrong...

.....the throwout bearing. It rattles in neutral and disappears when I engage the clutch. I've heard alot of cars with the same thing. It has had no bearing at all on driveability or transmission performance.

It would be nice if it was quieter in neutral, but it isn't. I'm not worried about it as for me, the transmission and clutch are fine.

Just my two cents
Old 01-01-2006, 10:36 PM
Kevin350Z

Mine has same noise. I took it in and they said sounded like TO bearing. Replaced but the exact noise is still there. I'm thinking it's the internal bearings. Pulled a brand new 05 into the service bay and it made the same noise.

I would expect a bit of a bearing whir with the clutch out, as most manuals do, but this rattle/clanking is not "normal".

Kevin
04 Z
Old 01-11-2006, 08:29 PM
reptile718

I am glad that others are hearing this noise and that I am not alone or just imagining it like my local dealer told me. I bought my 03 Touring Z with high mileage about 50K, it now has 55K and had since had the transmission replaced with the same problem still remaining. This problem happens only when the car gets warm and does not get better or worse. I thought the tranny fix would work but it felt the same as before. Really the only reason I had it replaced was because a friend with a Z mentioned to me that the early models developed problems and Nissan was practically giving these things away so I said what the hell its better to be safe then sorry even though I had none of the symptoms other then the rattle. Just to make sure I put the Z on a lift to look underneath and no doubt the trans looked new so I am puzzled. My friend has an 03 Track Z with none of these issues, then again it only has 8K and has been babied since day one, mine on the other hand is unknown how the other owner must have treated it. Also I have replaced my cats and exhaust for hfc and injen true dual super ses as well as injens newest intake, I noticed this idle noise actually got louder and is almost embarrassing, when I am at a stop my clutch is in most of the time just to avoid looks from the noise. Shifter also rattles at high revs which is annoying, I replaced the shift **** and the problem persisted. Another friend just bought an 05 Enthusiast and does not have any problems besides the fact that rocks are attracted to her windshield and has already gone through 2 of them lol. Should I go for an after-market clutch and flywheel with all new bearings or take it back to Nissan, will they accept it under warranty even with my new upgrades, didn't want to drive all the way out there just to come all the way back with the same problem?
Old 01-12-2006, 08:39 PM
iyah

i dont hear anything an i'v had 2 "03" 350z 6sp, 38k and 52k on both tranny
Old 01-12-2006, 10:18 PM
reptile718

Your not from the dealership are you?
Old 01-12-2006, 11:43 PM
plumpzz

holy moose, this is a old threaD..
Old 01-16-2006, 04:08 PM
uneek z

The noise is normal. The flywheel and clutch tends to make the noise. Most Z's and G35 coupes do that. It's nothing to be worried about.
Old 01-20-2006, 04:21 PM
YBLegal

i am not worring about this.. because.. i have had 2 Zs and both did the same thing.. didnt really have any problems with it..
Old 01-28-2006, 09:01 AM
LIdrew

I have the same problem, as well as a screetching sound clutch. I do not belive it is normal as my Nissan dealer has my car right now and told me they can't figure out the noise and are replacing the entire Tranny and Clutch under warranty. This will be my third tranny on my 03 Touring. Original, 17k miles replaced, 27kmiles replaced. I'll let you know if the replacement fixes the Noise, but they have the tranny on order so it will take another week.
I love this car like no other but this tranny issue is TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE. I will be writing to NIssan to voice my disgust with this manufacturing flaw. They should issue a lifetime Tranny warranty on this car. I will also be considering trading the car...possibly for an 06 Z
Old 01-28-2006, 09:29 AM
reptile718

It is not normal, I recently found out it has to do with the clutch and flywheel setup, mostly the bearings cause most of the issue, then tend to get stuck and cause a horrible noise. I am also sad to report this problem continues even on the newer models, my g/f has a new Z with about 10k miles on it, it has not made any noise or had any problems until in the past couple of weeks we have noticed a small rattle starting to occur when the engine warms up and the clutch is disengaged, seems like the start to trouble. I just had my trans replaced not to long ago and at first things seemed okay then the rattle and noise came back and it is only getting worse, come to find out when they replace the trans they do not even touch the clutch or flywheel let alone inspect the bearings, it would be common sense for them to do this but it seems they are not very smart people. make sure when you get your trans replaced they also replace the clutch and flywheel setup along with bearings, if they refuse tell them you would even buy the bearings only about $25 but this should eliminate the problem for some time, considering you are replacing a part that does not work properly for the same kind of part I am going to try going for the jwt combo and see if this works a little better with these bearings so far I have heard nothing but good comments, let us know when your z gets repaired if the noise goes away I am interested
Old 05-01-2006, 05:42 PM
MoJ

Just thought I'd add to this thread. My 06 with 500 miles makes the same noise - clutch out, in neutral, after driving = rattle. Was there ever any official word from Nissan about it?
Old 05-02-2006, 12:08 AM
BJF2K

me too... noise from the back of the car is getting louder but only when the car is in first gear (slow moving) what can I do? If i take it to the dealer how soon can they fix it? or do I have to wait?
Old 05-03-2006, 07:48 PM
Doc25398

Incredible I would imagine replacing the tranny for a new one would have fixed the problem, or at least shown nissan that they should be fixing not replacing these things. I have an 05 with 2800 miles on it, and just nopticed the noise when I pulled into the garage after coming from down the hill. made the car sound like it was an ole rust bucket. So sad.

Alex
Old 05-04-2006, 09:07 AM
r3v

@500 miles, started hearing a little rattling noise from underneath the car.

@600 miles, the noise has gotten worst. Rattling noise occurs at neutral but then goes away when clutch pedal is pressed.

@1200 miles (last night) and the noise has become very noticable.

Are you guys sure that this is absolutely normal? I just don't want to be dicked around by the dealership. If they do decide to start pointing the finger at us.. then can't we as a consumer do something about this?

They will probably want to say that I've abused it etc etc. But how in the hell can they prove that? By my age? I've pretty much babied all my cars.

Last edited by r3v; 05-04-2006 at 09:25 AM.
Old 05-07-2006, 01:26 AM
DevineOrn

hmmm, just hit 51K today and for the last month or so i've been hearing that chatter when i turn the engine off with the transmission in neutral. When i'm in the garage, the chatter is extremely loud as it is also bouncing off the walls! I've also noticed chatter when i engage 1st gear or idle in neutral. It sounds like a screw in a tin can! well, i thought i was done with these kinds of problems...but off to the dealer i go again
it is very disappointing to keep coming back with complaints about weird things like vibrating mirrors, clicking axles, feathering tires, leaking fuel hoses, tank won't fill, streaks on windows, roaring tires, paint chips, fraying cloth seats, rattles, rattles, and more rattles, etc, etc and to top it all, a dealership that tells me i'm either "abusing my car", "it's normal", or "hmm, don’t know what you're talking about" ...goddamnit! any one wanna buy a z?
Old 05-08-2006, 08:30 AM
r3v

just got back from the dealers. they told me it was nothing and that i shouldn't really worry about it.

So i demanded to get that on writing.
Old 06-14-2006, 08:42 AM
kbomb

updating...can anyone help me on any info if this is normal or not?
I am having the dealership look at this problem. Im getting a low rumbling/rattling noise when clutch is released but it goes away when clutch is pressed.
they are telling me they don't hear anything.
Old 06-14-2006, 08:51 AM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

ive had two Z's. both had tranny noise. nothing to serious, both on different levels. live with it unless its grinding or not going into gear. our trannys are noisey get over it.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:02 AM
kbomb

im at 46K miles and the power train warranty is almost up. getting over it is not so easy when this sounds like a problem that would get worse if not fixed.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:25 AM
eat rice z33

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i used to have a rattle from under the car and didnt sound like the tranny, i helped the techs and came with the conclusion that it was the heat shield, so we just bent it out with a crow bar and no more problem. i still have tranny noises and some clunking when going into second but this is all normal

Quick Reply: Rattle from tranny when car not in gear and clutch out