Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Grinding Sound, Anybody Else Having This Problem with Brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2003, 06:53 AM
Zonny

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Grinding Sound, Anybody Else Having This Problem with Brakes?

I've got about 4500 mile on my Z and am experiencing a grinding sound when applying the brakes. I have standard brakes (Touring Model). The sound is more noticeable as the car slows down to stop. When in heavy traffic (a lot of stop and go) the sound seems to get louder (heating of the brakes, I guess). Occasionally, the grinding sound will continue even after the brakes are released.

I took my Z to the Dealer. They called Nissan to see if others were having this problem. Nissan indicated no. They checked the brakes and did some turning. Other than signs of excessive heat and brake pad dust build-up, they could not find anything wrong with the brakes.

The grinding sound seems to be a little least now, but it is still there. Has anybody had this problem with their 350Z. Any Ideas?

Zonny, this sound aint funny.
Attached Thumbnails Grinding Sound, Anybody Else Having This Problem with Brakes?-my-z-16-589x473.jpg  

Last edited by Zonny; 05-18-2003 at 06:58 AM.
Old 05-18-2003, 07:04 AM
DrDrilZ

i bet its not your brakes, but rather your tires "roaring" when you come to a stop. thats why you are hearing it even when you are not on the brakes. check your tires for feathering or uneven wear. i had the same problem with my gs400 and thought it was the brakes too. it seems to be starting with my touring 6mt also now. im gonna have it checked out. ive got 2800 miles on mine.
Old 05-18-2003, 01:18 PM
articfury
Charter Member #55

Zonny,

There have been several threads about people complaining about brake noises.

My brakes (Brembos) squeal when I am off the brakes, get slightly louder as I apply the brake, then goes away under full pressure.

Do a search for more info.

JD
Old 05-18-2003, 05:42 PM
lew f

I have had no brake noise just more brake dust than I expected!!
Old 05-24-2003, 11:56 AM
sunzet

About two weeks ago I noticed a loud roaring noise coming from what is seems the right front wheel. My car is due for an oil change next week (7500) so i decided to to a little research before I take to the dealer and this thread is the closest match.

I know for sure the noise is not related to the break pads because the sound does not change when i break. It seeems more related to speed. It is louder at slow speeds 15 to 20mph.

I checked the tires for abnormal wear and they look OK. at least to the naked eye. Could this be a problem with the wheel bearing?. Also the car pulls slightly to the right.

Thanks for your commnts
Old 05-25-2003, 06:44 PM
Zonny

Default Wheel Bearings? Could Be . . .

Sunzet,

Let me know if you find out anything after you take your car in for service. It sound like we may have the same problem. I only notice my roaring noise at low speeds. You are right, I can release the brakes and the noise is still there. I assumed that maybe the calipers we not completely releasing and we dragging against the brake disc. But the sound does not seem to change whether I apply the brakes hard or not. The roar seems to be worst while driving for a while in city traffic, a lot of stop and go. The roar is not present all the time, but it seems to be getting worst and more frequently. Maybe it could be the wheel bearings.

Please, let me know your out come before I take mine back to the dealer.

Zonny

mwhitehurst@***.net