Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

5W30 or 10W30 Mobil 1 ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2003, 08:54 AM
Slareau02

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5W30 or 10W30 Mobil 1 ?

Ok its time for an oil change and I want to go to Mobil 1. The owners manual says to use 5W30 but some people on the board went to 10W30. Which should I go to ?
Old 05-25-2003, 01:04 PM
Silver Bullit II

Default Viscosity

I use the Mobil 1 10/30 because the average temps' down here are > 50 F and it rarely gets below 20 F in winter.

JMS in TX
Old 05-25-2003, 01:13 PM
Slareau02

So if the temps here sometimes, like, 4 or 5 times, get below 10 degrees F I should just stick with the 5w30 ?
Old 05-25-2003, 08:23 PM
Apexi350z
Charter Member #50

why don't you use the 0W weight? I think it will suit you better.
Old 05-25-2003, 08:53 PM
Silver Bullit II

Default Slareau02

I would recommend adhearing to the owners manual recommendations.

JMS in TX
Old 05-27-2003, 08:17 AM
mwaller

Ditto... go with nissan's recommendations. 5W30 is preferred for all climates. BTW- I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the effects Mobil 1 has. I didn't think I'd notice a difference, but I did. My engine runs much more smoothly and quietly from a cold start.
mika
Old 05-27-2003, 09:06 AM
hwj

Look in the viscosity index of the owners manual. If the air temp is too low where you're going to run the Z, use the 5w-30.

I use the 10w-30 year 'round here in SE Pa. without a problem. I even used the 10w-30 in New York state where the temps went to -15F during the winters there. But today, with the Z, Nissan would want you to use the 5w-30 at those temps.
Old 05-28-2003, 07:10 PM
Boomer

Originally posted by hwj
Look in the viscosity index of the owners manual. If the air temp is too low where you're going to run the Z, use the 5w-30.

I use the 10w-30 year 'round here in SE Pa. without a problem. I even used the 10w-30 in New York state where the temps went to -15F during the winters there. But today, with the Z, Nissan would want you to use the 5w-30 at those temps.
I will be putting in 5W-30 Mobile 1 at my next oil change. My dealer put in 10W-30 non-syn at 2700 miles because we are in a warmer zone in Central Oklahoma. I don't care, we can get 20-30 below wind chill factor in Central Oklahoma and I want the extra protection on a cold start.
Old 05-28-2003, 08:42 PM
Silver Bullit II

Default Wind chill

Boomer, I agree with you, I would go with the manual recommendations. Wind chill, however, does not apply to inanimate objects like automobiles.

JMS inTX
Old 05-29-2003, 04:41 AM
Boomer

Default Re: Wind chill

Originally posted by Silver Bullit II
Boomer, I agree with you, I would go with the manual recommendations. Wind chill, however, does not apply to inanimate objects like automobiles.

JMS inTX
Have you ever seen automobiles on the side of the road because they didn't bring their cars up to operating temps and accelerated to highway speeds? They just conk out in a headwind and will not start. Ever lived in Oklahoma? Usually we get one or more Alberta Clippers here in the winter. Alberta Clippers are gale force winds ripping down through the plains at 50-60 mph. I can assure you that mechanical devices such as automobiles are effected by their chill. I worked in OKC which is north of my home and have had my car stall on I35 North in such a wind, just like many others.

BTW, Texarkana doesnt usually exprience this type of weather. What are your proofs for your statement? Wind chill can and does freeze telephone lines, tv cables, water pipes and other inanimate objects. Why do you believe it doesn't effect cars? Are you a meteorologist?; our meteorologists caution us about these wind chills and recommend warming our cars thorughly before we start off into those conditions.
Old 05-29-2003, 12:31 PM
Silver Bullit II

Default Boomer,

Here is something I found that may help.

http://www.usatoday.com/weather/reso...second-law.htm

JMS in TX

Last edited by Silver Bullit II; 05-29-2003 at 12:33 PM.
Old 05-29-2003, 01:36 PM
Boomer

Default Re: Boomer,

Originally posted by Silver Bullit II
Here is something I found that may help.

http://www.usatoday.com/weather/reso...second-law.htm

JMS in TX
I stand corrected. Why then, do automobiles die in the face of a very strong wind during below freezing weather? It has happened to me once, but never again when the temp needle was off the red line. Other people in cars can and do experience stalling and stoppage in high wind below freezing heading into the wind. When it happened to me, my car bucked and stalled and just died at the side of the road. I waited a few seconds, then turned the starter, it ran rough for awhile, until it warmed past the cold part of the temp range, then it was fine. I can assure you I always have my radiator full of antifreeze, yada, yada.

Do you think it is a function of fuel lines containing enough water to form ice in the lines? I always use HEET to purge my fuel system, especially in winter.
Old 05-29-2003, 02:28 PM
dr_gallup

Default Re: Re: Boomer,

Originally posted by Boomer
I stand corrected. Why then, do automobiles die in the face of a very strong wind during below freezing weather? It has happened to me once, but never again when the temp needle was off the red line. Other people in cars can and do experience stalling and stoppage in high wind below freezing heading into the wind. When it happened to me, my car bucked and stalled and just died at the side of the road. I waited a few seconds, then turned the starter, it ran rough for awhile, until it warmed past the cold part of the temp range, then it was fine. I can assure you I always have my radiator full of antifreeze, yada, yada.

Do you think it is a function of fuel lines containing enough water to form ice in the lines? I always use HEET to purge my fuel system, especially in winter.
Are you talking carburated or fuel injected cars? Carburated cars used to die all the time due to ice formation in the carburator. I have never heard of this kind of problem in a fuel injected car.
Old 05-29-2003, 03:08 PM
Boomer

Default Re: Re: Re: Boomer,

Originally posted by dr_gallup
Are you talking carburated or fuel injected cars? Carburated cars used to die all the time due to ice formation in the carburator. I have never heard of this kind of problem in a fuel injected car.
I really don't know if they had carbs or fuel injection. I usually saw them just past my entrance onto I35.
Old 05-31-2003, 02:07 PM
nbdyfcnsqnc
350Z-holic

The article doesn't say that wind chill has no effect on cars, and I think it's a bit misleading. It just says wind won't cause a car's temperature to drop below air temperature. Wind does have the same cooling effect on cars as humans, and it does cause the rate of cooling to increase. If we say it's 40 degrees outside, and the wind makes it feel like 30, that's because heat is leaving our bodies at a higher rate, not because it's actually cooler. It just feels the same to us as it would on a windless 30 degree day. Of course a car doesn't feel that, but it cools at an increased rate due to wind just like we do, and that can cause more problems.

But man you guys must be cold. Even with wind chill, it only reaches like 70 around here.

Last edited by nbdyfcnsqnc; 05-31-2003 at 02:10 PM.
Old 05-31-2003, 04:11 PM
Boomer

Originally posted by nbdyfcnsqnc
The article doesn't say that wind chill has no effect on cars, and I think it's a bit misleading. It just says wind won't cause a car's temperature to drop below air temperature. Wind does have the same cooling effect on cars as humans, and it does cause the rate of cooling to increase. If we say it's 40 degrees outside, and the wind makes it feel like 30, that's because heat is leaving our bodies at a higher rate, not because it's actually cooler. It just feels the same to us as it would on a windless 30 degree day. Of course a car doesn't feel that, but it cools at an increased rate due to wind just like we do, and that can cause more problems.

But man you guys must be cold. Even with wind chill, it only reaches like 70 around here.
I was driving a fuel injected car to answer a previous question and you bet it gets cold here. If you ever see the play "Olkahoma" you will hear the words "when the wind comes rushing down the Plains", Well, thats an understatement , we get Big winds because we are at the end of the Plains and where the Eastern Woodlands begin. There no topographical features that slows down the wind, no mountains, foothills, etc. Its also why we are Tornado Alley, N and NW winds meet SW winds and create wind sheer between the Plains and Woodlands and you get big thunderstorms w/ supercells that drop tornados like we had a couple of weeks ago.

But, about the wind chill and its consequences, it is not uncommon to have a temperature drop of 70 degrees in 6-8 hours! Go to work in shirt sleeves and come out of your building with your car doors frozen shut and the wind chill in single digits and getting worse as the sun starts going down. I used to keep antifreeze for the locks in my office as a precaution. You can't stay outside for an long period of time or you will die of exposure. When we get an Alberta Clipper from the plains in Canada, homeless people people jam the shelters, those who don't make it to a shelter find cover somewhere or they die. It is not unusual for for one or more to die in the cold, windy conditions.
Old 06-06-2003, 12:45 PM
Free Patriot

Exclamation oil

5W30 is the preferred oil to use as stated in the owners manual. I buy 5 gallon jugs of Mobil 1 at WalMart.

Free Patriot
Old 06-06-2003, 05:44 PM
350xcloud

I just switched to mobil 1 5w-30 at 4k and my mpg jumped from 19.5 to 19.8 is that normal??? Other than that the car feels so much smoother with mobil 1.
Old 06-06-2003, 06:31 PM
Boomer

Originally posted by 350xcloud
I just switched to mobil 1 5w-30 at 4k and my mpg jumped from 19.5 to 19.8 is that normal??? Other than that the car feels so much smoother with mobil 1.
Much smoother is right, in my experience. .3mpg increase is too small to attribute to a change in the type of oil, IMO.
Old 06-07-2003, 03:43 AM
hwj

At 5500 miles, and Mobil 1 since 1100 miles, my mileage has consistently been at 20.5-21.0 mpg.

My commute is a real mixed bag, at 37 miles one way, from out here at the edge of Amish country to an inner city where my plant/office is located. She'll run from 14 mpg in the city area to 29-33 mpg on the highway.

Quick Reply: 5W30 or 10W30 Mobil 1 ?