Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

AC belt rips off again

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007 | 12:35 AM
SuperBlack350z

Angry AC belt rips off again

this is my second time the ac belt gets torn apart. each one getting lesss than 2k miles out of it. Do i have a bent pulley or something? Bad bearing? I'm guessing i should check tomorrow for any play of the pulleys. Should i just replace the pulleys for the ac belt?

Any idea would help.
Old 10-19-2007 | 01:43 AM
Sean

Originally Posted by SuperBlack350z
this is my second time the ac belt gets torn apart. each one getting lesss than 2k miles out of it. Do i have a bent pulley or something? Bad bearing? I'm guessing i should check tomorrow for any play of the pulleys. Should i just replace the pulleys for the ac belt?

Any idea would help.
A deep groove pully would help if you find the belts aren't loose, but make sure you don't have another mount bolt loose somewhere....if you do you will just start breaking things if you put a deep groove pully on.
Old 10-19-2007 | 01:53 AM
SuperBlack350z

Originally Posted by sean1967
A deep groove pully would help if you find the belts aren't loose, but make sure you don't have another mount bolt loose somewhere....if you do you will just start breaking things if you put a deep groove pully on.
Mount bolt? You mean the bolt in the middle of the pulley?

Also, what is a deep groove pulley?
Old 10-19-2007 | 01:58 AM
Sean

Originally Posted by SuperBlack350z
Mount bolt? You mean the bolt in the middle of the pulley?

Also, what is a deep groove pulley?
I mean the bolts that hold your accessories and brackets, a deep groove pully is like what is currently holding your belt but rather than barely holding your belt with just a half inch of depth left over, a deep groove pully will have a solid inch or more of clearance.

You may not be able to change your pully, a local alternator/starter rebuild place can do it.
Old 10-19-2007 | 02:02 AM
SuperBlack350z

I mean the bolts that hold your accessories and brackets, a deep groove pully is like what is currently holding your belt but rather than barely holding your belt with just a half inch of depth left over, a deep groove pully will have a solid inch or more of clearance.

You may not be able to change your pully, a local alternator/starter rebuild place can do it.
oh ok, i'll check those bolts later on today. Thanks for your responses.
Old 10-19-2007 | 02:19 AM
xbreakerx

ya i would check your pulley and make sure the bolts are tight
Old 10-19-2007 | 07:24 AM
Louis21

I haven't changed belts in the Z but i had the same issue with my old car, I'd go tru AC/power steering belts at least every few months. My issue was a misaligned tensioner that was causing the belt to rub one of its sides with the tensioner edge causing it to snap....I had an aftermarket pulley as well which did not help.
May not apply here but somehting to look into...
Old 10-19-2007 | 01:17 PM
SuperBlack350z

Originally Posted by Louis21
I haven't changed belts in the Z but i had the same issue with my old car, I'd go tru AC/power steering belts at least every few months. My issue was a misaligned tensioner that was causing the belt to rub one of its sides with the tensioner edge causing it to snap....I had an aftermarket pulley as well which did not help.
May not apply here but somehting to look into...
yeah, this sounds like my problem because it only rips on the inside. The first time, the whole thing ripped off. the second time, i caught it before it ripped off. It is starting to rip only from the inside of the belt. So i just cut off the rest. I can't even look at it today since it's raining pretty hard outside.

How did you fix this problem?
Old 10-19-2007 | 08:13 PM
Louis21

I had to have the tensioner replaced and the new one properly aligned with the pulley. No more issues after that for me...
Old 10-22-2007 | 08:56 AM
VO...
Administrator

but make sure you don't have another mount bolt loose somewhere....
+1
Old 10-23-2007 | 10:58 AM
Eazzy

First...Take off the belt, then shake the tensioner to chk for play, then spin the tensioner pulley. It should have SMOOTH resistence. In other words, obviously quiet, but also NOT able to spin like crazy. Thats indication of a worn brg. Chk the wear pattern on the pulley.

Next...spin the A/C pulley---same thing, smooth resistence and NO play. Then grasp the clutch that sits in front of that pulley and turn it. You are spinning the compressor. Is it smooth ?

Next...Start the motor and look at the Crank pulley...Is it True ????

If you can, take a straight Edge and check alignment of the 3

Lastly----of course chk your mounting bolts and install a new belt, preferably a Gator and tighten it VERY taut.

If thats done and all chks out---It Has to work

Last edited by Eazzy; 10-23-2007 at 11:09 AM.
Old 10-23-2007 | 11:08 AM
Eazzy

BTW---Machine work is not perfect, there are flaws. If the belt is comeing apart on the inside edge ---or whatever, that simply means that there is a slight machine error and there is a cocked pulley. This is normal. It might just be a few 1000th-----This is not the Space Shuttle and each piece is NOT blueprinted. Numbers dont lie, but when its unfeasable to go to the expence just plaay with your tensioning
Old 10-23-2007 | 01:14 PM
SuperBlack350z

Thanks Eazzzzy, i still haven't messed with my car since i made this thread. It's just been sitting there. The weather down here hasn't been to great. I appreciate your post. I'll check it out.

I torqued the tensioner like the manual said to the proper specs. What i didn't do was recheck if the belt gotten loose after a couple days/week. So maybe it could of gotten loose as well.
Old 10-23-2007 | 01:49 PM
Eazzy

Possibly ---A serpentine will have a VERY slight initial stretch, then that will be it. One more slight adjustment and it has found its home and should stay there for 10s of thousands of miles
Old 10-23-2007 | 02:05 PM
CBRworm

I'll be interested to here what you find out. I have an '06 G35 6MT and am on my 4th A/C belt. The dealer wouldn't cover it first because according to them the only thing that would cause the belt to shred is excessive RPM. After that they said it was a maintenance item anyway.

I don't mind paying to replace the belt, but my car is a 2006. It would be nice if they would fix the pulley alignment, or the windows not staying up, or the creaking rear end, or something under warranty.
Old 10-23-2007 | 02:06 PM
CBRworm

On mine the rib closest to the radiator comes off the belt first, then shortly thereafter the rest of the belt comes apart.
Old 10-23-2007 | 03:37 PM
SuperBlack350z

Originally Posted by CBRworm
I'll be interested to here what you find out. I have an '06 G35 6MT and am on my 4th A/C belt. The dealer wouldn't cover it first because according to them the only thing that would cause the belt to shred is excessive RPM. After that they said it was a maintenance item anyway.

I don't mind paying to replace the belt, but my car is a 2006. It would be nice if they would fix the pulley alignment, or the windows not staying up, or the creaking rear end, or something under warranty.
mine said the same thing. I don't see how excessive rpm would make it shread like that. I think most of us on here drives kinda hard from time to time. It cant' just rip off like that.
Old 11-23-2007 | 05:54 PM
gabez33

can you still drive the car without the AC belt?? Mine just snapped, I went outside and turned the car on and heard the slapping sound. The belt broke on the inside edge. The AC belt is the one towards the driver right? thanks
Old 11-23-2007 | 05:55 PM
Eazzy

Yes on all counts
Old 11-23-2007 | 05:56 PM
Eazzy

Short Belt

Quick Reply: AC belt rips off again