Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Mobil 1 issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007 | 12:18 PM
NS_350GT

Yup, been using 10w30 Mobil 1. No problems.
Old 11-12-2007 | 12:27 PM
kennyl5123

No problem on Mobil 1 or the engine. Problem is on Jiffy Lube.
Old 11-12-2007 | 04:44 PM
Sean

Originally Posted by JonsilvZ
Slight wear my ***! My 95 MBenz C36 has 96k+miles. Been using synthetic since 70k miles with no issues. Doent burn oil and I drive it hard.

The OP could easily test the theory by once again changing to mobile 1, but do it yourself or a trusted mech.
Old 11-13-2007 | 06:19 AM
jubes

Thank you to all who gave insight on their experience with Mobil 1...

Sean... I will test your theory and tell you the outcome... and hopefully it's not a bad one...
Old 11-13-2007 | 06:46 AM
Russ@Z1

Never an issue here with Mobil 1. Been treating me fine so far.
Old 11-13-2007 | 12:21 PM
pony_killer
Arada ninda apa
Premier Member

Originally Posted by russ713
Never an issue here with Mobil 1. Been treating me fine so far.

+1 ive been using Mobil 1 since January of 06 and i couldn't be more happier with it
Old 11-13-2007 | 01:14 PM
cbr900son

Y dont people change their own oil?
Old 11-13-2007 | 01:44 PM
Z1NONLY

Mobil 1, 10w 30 for 3 years. (-Works for me)
Old 11-13-2007 | 02:11 PM
zman2

Default Mobil 1 - Excellent product

Read this thread:
https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain/258663-vq-oil-analysis-and-info.html

Mobil 1 0-40 weight highest rated oil for Z
Old 11-15-2007 | 05:02 PM
mwest300zx

I use Mobil 1 in all of my cars including a 64 Benz and the 2 cars I road race, my 350Z and my Miata. No problems ever. Years ago I used to bring my cars to Jiffy Lube just for convenience sake. But they screwed over my daughtors car, and would not own up to the screw up, now I do all of my own fluid changes on all 8 of my cars.
But, a race engine builder I know mentioned that he noticed problems in a lot of his engines coming in for their annual overhaul between race seasons. He used Mobil 1 exclusively. He spoke with someone from Mobil and they told him they did reformulate the oil recently. He switched over to Joe Gibbs fluids. But, for the non-competitive racer Mobil 1 is more than adequate.
Old 11-19-2007 | 06:20 PM
Al_s14

Originally Posted by cbr900son
Y dont people change their own oil?
i think real question is why people go to Jiffylube. we hear stories about lube "techs" at Jiffylube or other itholes like that forgetting to tighten drain bolts..put oil in...put wrong filters on and YET STILL GO THERE. i can understand if were talking about 50 year old woman who drives a Focus, but an enthusiast Z owner? i guess some things i just wont understand

PS:i change my own oil , but not everyone has the luxury of a driveway or a garage others are just lazy and dont like doing it
Old 11-19-2007 | 06:37 PM
tomtom

JIFFY LUBE is the problem.
NEVER EVER TRUST YOUR CAR TO JIFFY LUBE.
don't you see any news?
Old 11-19-2007 | 08:46 PM
Swiffer

I've used Mobile1 for my first two oil changes, not a single issue.

I just switched over to Castrol Syntec, same results.
Old 11-20-2007 | 04:09 AM
omega6

Haha funny you mention jiffylube, my friends use to work there, and they would tell me all the horror stories. I only trusted my car to one person there. And I guess it's just "who's" working on your car. But for the most part the employes are just "tools."
Old 11-20-2007 | 04:51 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD
Premier Member

Just a few things to clarify in this thread...

1) Mobil 1 is a good oil. It will not cause this problem on your car. However, my guess is Jiffy Lube overfilled your car and when you added the other fluid, it overfilled it even more, and the car died.

2) Mobil 1 formula changed. It is no longer a full synthetic (even though they advertise it). It is a Group III base oil. It isn't a PAO based oil like Amsoil, Redline are. Penzoil Plat is actually better than Mobil 1 now.

3) Stop going to Jiffy Lube. If you can choose and if you can't do it yourself, I recommend Kwik Kar.
Old 11-20-2007 | 06:11 AM
RBlover69

ow40 ,..preety amazing stuff
Old 11-20-2007 | 06:21 AM
06blueZ

arnt the variable cams controlled by oil pressure? this may be related...
Old 11-20-2007 | 02:55 PM
Resolute

Originally Posted by SOLO-350Z
Just a few things to clarify in this thread...

2) Mobil 1 formula changed. It is no longer a full synthetic (even though they advertise it). It is a Group III base oil. It isn't a PAO based oil like Amsoil, Redline are. Penzoil Plat is actually better than Mobil 1 now.
Where did you dig up this ********? More importantly, why are you shoveling it around? This has to be one of the longest running, most bogus rumors to ever circulate the international gossip community known as the internet.

For every one part of truth, there's at least nine parts of crap like this.

If you really have some proof on the base stocks used by XOM for the Mobil1 oils, then I'd love to see it. I actually have concrete data about their base stocks, but I'd love to see your evidence.

Second, please show me where the base stock makes an oil "good" or "bad". Deciding to use a synthetic simply for the sake of it being a synthetic, is a waste of money. To say that one group of base stocks is better than another, is a gross misrepresentation of the facts.

The UOA's on Mobil1 have been very consistent. M1 5W-30 has nine UOA's performed and they are all fine. The 0W-40 performs betetr for the same money, so I would use that if you like to buy M1 oil. To say Pennzoil Platinum is better is retarded. The PP 10W-30 has three seperate UOA's completed, all of them showed more shearing than the M1 in the VQ. In other words, the viscosity changed more for the Pennzoil than teh M1. Also, the TBN on the Pennzoil is not nearly as robust, meaning M1 oils typically can be used for a much longer drain interval.

There are several great oils for the VQ engine, and not all ogf them are synthetic. Unless you are tracking your car or going for an extended drain interval, there really is no NEED for a synthetic. To judge an oil by the base stock alone is foolish, since the oil's ability to perform well in a given engine is the function of a host of variables. Additives being more important than the base stock I would say.

This business about M1 not being a "true" synthetic is so stupid because those who perpetuate the myth have no facts. No proof. No sense of what they are talking about. Taking rumor as blind truth is disturbing, and makes me wonder what else you'll believe.

Excuse the rant. Bigfoot pissed on the carpet this morning and then the Lock Ness Monster stole his chew toy, so it's been an all around rough day.

Will
Old 11-20-2007 | 02:57 PM
Resolute

Originally Posted by 06blueZ
arnt the variable cams controlled by oil pressure?
Yes, and pressure is a function of oil viscosty- not brand name.

Will
Old 11-20-2007 | 03:37 PM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD
Premier Member

www.bobistheoilguy.com. You might learn something if you actually read it. All the UOAs, even on g35driver people know M1 is no longer a full synthetic. It is a Group III Base synthetic.

Shoveling it around because it's correct info. Like I said, visit the site above and learn. M1 is terrible in the VQ and has shown some bad results. It also has shown to make engines not just the VQ noisy.

Originally Posted by Resolute
Where did you dig up this ********? More importantly, why are you shoveling it around? This has to be one of the longest running, most bogus rumors to ever circulate the international gossip community known as the internet.

For every one part of truth, there's at least nine parts of crap like this.

If you really have some proof on the base stocks used by XOM for the Mobil1 oils, then I'd love to see it. I actually have concrete data about their base stocks, but I'd love to see your evidence.

Second, please show me where the base stock makes an oil "good" or "bad". Deciding to use a synthetic simply for the sake of it being a synthetic, is a waste of money. To say that one group of base stocks is better than another, is a gross misrepresentation of the facts.

The UOA's on Mobil1 have been very consistent. M1 5W-30 has nine UOA's performed and they are all fine. The 0W-40 performs betetr for the same money, so I would use that if you like to buy M1 oil. To say Pennzoil Platinum is better is retarded. The PP 10W-30 has three seperate UOA's completed, all of them showed more shearing than the M1 in the VQ. In other words, the viscosity changed more for the Pennzoil than teh M1. Also, the TBN on the Pennzoil is not nearly as robust, meaning M1 oils typically can be used for a much longer drain interval.

There are several great oils for the VQ engine, and not all ogf them are synthetic. Unless you are tracking your car or going for an extended drain interval, there really is no NEED for a synthetic. To judge an oil by the base stock alone is foolish, since the oil's ability to perform well in a given engine is the function of a host of variables. Additives being more important than the base stock I would say.

This business about M1 not being a "true" synthetic is so stupid because those who perpetuate the myth have no facts. No proof. No sense of what they are talking about. Taking rumor as blind truth is disturbing, and makes me wonder what else you'll believe.

Excuse the rant. Bigfoot pissed on the carpet this morning and then the Lock Ness Monster stole his chew toy, so it's been an all around rough day.

Will

Quick Reply: Mobil 1 issues