Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Symptoms of bad transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2003, 12:43 PM
Westby

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Symptoms of bad transmission?

Hearing of ppl having to get new transmissions is scaring me. Yesterday I took off from a light and when I hit 3rd was a bit of resistance and it ground for a sec. I pulled off the road onto another street and drove easy and it seemed okay. I'm not exactly in the habbit of grinding gears ( not even when the alfa's clutch was going out ) but has happened twice in 3rd in my Z. Am I just being paranoid and am not quite used to the car, or should I worry. This is the first new car I've ever had. Does it just take some breaking in till it becomes smoother?
Old 06-01-2003, 05:54 PM
305z

Default dont worry...

I dont think you should be worried yet, because it might need some breaking in. My car has been feeling grindy since I got it back in August, so I took it to the dealer and they told me I needed a new tranny. I'm going tomorrow to get it checked out again because I feel the shifter vibrating after having it in gear. It's weird...oh well goodluck
Old 06-06-2003, 07:55 PM
n8vz

i'm near the end of the break in period for my CS Track. So far, my impression is that Nissan tranny is just not as well made as other brand. (this is my 2nd Nissan with MT). Don't get me wrong, i is "good" and i think it gets the job done in a sports car, but it just can't compare to Getrag trannies. My last Nissan was a Pathfinder with a 5 speed "truck" transmission... the current 6 sp in my Z is jewel compared to it.
Any owners of 300ZX care to comment on their experience with Nissan Transmission?