Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Intermittent grinding noise (only) on start up....

Old 06-01-2003, 01:44 PM
Taya

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Intermittent grinding noise (only) on start up....

Intermittent grinding noise on start up....

I have read a lot about tranny grinding and clutch bearing noises, I think I have the clutch bearing noise, although this happens only after a long drive and the car is very warm... I do have something that I did not hear here before. Every once in a while, mostly after the car sits for a while, immediately after the start up, there is a huge grinding noise for a fraction of a second, almost as 2 pieces of metal grinding or say a chain moving (maybe the chain would better describe that) and then it disappear... it happens start and stop even before the A/C is being triggered to be turned on... I have hard time to explain this to the dealer who checked my car several times and found no issues as this is intermittent. The only thing the dealer mentioned is that the car/engine/tranny are all air tight and that may create this noise sometimes... Does anyone know what I am talking about? I do not have any other problem with my car, I am at 4000miles no tranny grinding issues and the car is great, oh well, I do have the windows stricks but the parts are already on order... I do not know if I have a problem or not, but hopefully someone else has experiencd this and can share info...
Old 06-01-2003, 02:18 PM
G*Rated{350z}

I know exactaly what your talking about. When i am completly stoped and start off in first gear, i hear a type of rattiling noise. kinda like a tek tek tek tek tek. To me it sounded like the clutch was bouncing up and down or something. so i took my car to the dealer and they loosened my clutch. They said it was too tight....
It helped alittle. But i can still hear it. I noticed that if you work first gear just right it wont make the sound. but trying to avoid makeing that noise caused me to burn alot of clutch. Very strange. I have no clue whats going on. I hope someone knows..
Old 06-01-2003, 04:36 PM
MATIX

I have the same noise when I start off in first gear, and hte dealer said it was normal...but who knows, all i know is that it annoys me, and I dont see any reason why it should be normal.
Old 06-01-2003, 05:07 PM
Taya

Default Intermitten noise

I initially thought that this is only when I am in first gear... then saw the posts on some tranny and clutch issues and started to start my car in neautral, well, maybe less frequent, but it is intermittently there as well when you start in neautral... I have not tried reverse....
Old 06-02-2003, 08:09 AM
Murry

Default Starter

I have also experienced a short-lived grinding noise immediately after starting the engine, which I attribute to interaction between the starter pinion gear and the ring gear.

The instances when this occurs are sporadic and unpredictable. Its almost as if the pinion gear doesn't retract soon enough after the starter is disengaged to avoid chattering with the ring gear (after the engine has fired).

If I had to guess I would say that the pinion bushing is hanging up on the starter shaft or the return spring is too weak. A problem with a burr may solve itself over time but, a weak return spring should be swapped out.

-Murry
Old 06-02-2003, 12:22 PM
ZZZZME

Default Re: Starter

Originally posted by Murry
I have also experienced a short-lived grinding noise immediately after starting the engine, which I attribute to interaction between the starter pinion gear and the ring gear.

The instances when this occurs are sporadic and unpredictable. Its almost as if the pinion gear doesn't retract soon enough after the starter is disengaged to avoid chattering with the ring gear (after the engine has fired).

If I had to guess I would say that the pinion bushing is hanging up on the starter shaft or the return spring is too weak. A problem with a burr may solve itself over time but, a weak return spring should be swapped out.

-Murry
I've noticed this noise as well. I was thinking that it could be something internal rapping before the oil has had a chance to fully reach all areas right after startup.
Old 06-02-2003, 01:16 PM
Murry

Default reliability

I've noticed this noise as well. I was thinking that it could be something internal rapping before the oil has had a chance to fully reach all areas right after startup.
Your engine would not last very long if dimensionally critical components were rubbing like that on a regular basis.

-Murry
Old 06-02-2003, 03:53 PM
Taya

Default Intermitten noise

I have to say I am a little more relxed now to know others experience the same noise. I do however, wonder, have any of you taken it to the dealer? is any work needs to be done? I guess my only option would be to leave the car at the dealer, and come every morning try to start up and see if if does the problem... I don't care much about the noise as I care about the reliability of the car, if there is not impact on that, than I can leave with this... anyone?
Old 06-02-2003, 04:12 PM
Selski12

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have this happen to me also on startup, only in the morning though. Had it before i changed to Redline fluids and still have it after change, but nowhere near as loud before I changed tranny/diff fluids. This is about the only thing bugging me about my car though.
Old 06-02-2003, 05:25 PM
bfleming

Default Starter

I've had it happened to me on rare occassions at cold startup in the morning. Maybe 4 times. At first I thought my foot was on the gas when I cranked the starter and caused the engine to race. But since then I'm sure it isn't pressing the gas pedal. I agree with Murry - I think its in the starter. It almost sounds like the grind you hear when you crank the starter by mistake but the cars already started. It does not seem to be happening more frequently, so I'm guessing its not the return spring wearing.
Old 06-03-2003, 06:13 AM
ZNUTS

I also have 4000 on mt 6srd touring and have heard a similar noise on start up.I was also concerned about tranny problems;I turned off the switch for a/c compressor and the noise did not repeat under start up.I have not heard that noise in the last few weeks and like you if I bring it to the dealer will I be able to demonstrate it.For what ever reason it went away;no other problems with this great car.Please let me know if your problem goes away,Thanks
Old 06-03-2003, 06:22 AM
ZNUTS

I also have 4000 on mt 6srd touring and have heard a similar noise on start up.I was also concerned about tranny problems;I turned off the switch for a/c compressor and the noise did not repeat under start up.I have not heard that noise in the last few weeks and like you if I bring it to the dealer will I be able to demonstrate it.For what ever reason it went away;no other problems with this great car.Please let me know if your problem goes away,Thanks
Old 11-15-2007, 06:51 PM
skn5002

I know this thread is old...but my Z is having the same problems as mentioned on start up. Have any of you found out what it is or how to fix it??? Thank you!
Old 11-15-2007, 10:45 PM
Derratte

I have the exact same issue with my Z. Its like this quick grind sound about a half second after you turn the key to start the car. It only happens about once a week, and only when the car has been sitting for a long time, and the engine is cold. Strange...
Old 11-16-2007, 04:22 AM
skn5002

I wonder if anyone has figured out what it is yet? Sounds more common than I thought, which is a bit of a releif
Old 11-16-2007, 06:13 AM
HondaKiller
Banned

timing chain rattle. Oil doesn't circulate the block quick enough and occasionally if your car sits over night or it is cold out, you will a brief rattle sounding chatter. Been happening to me for years. Different brands of oil change how often it happens, but hasn't affected anything long term yet. '03 54k miles
Old 12-06-2007, 12:33 PM
Wicked Z

i kno this thread is old...im new to the forum and i have the same problem as Taya from the very top. my transmission seems to be making a tek tek tek kind of rattling noise, but it does it randomly, probably more when i first turn on the car. Also, when i am in 1st gear at a stoplight, while balancing the clutch, i can also hear the clutch rattling like something is loose in there. i dont know why this is. i have brought the car to Performance Nissan in Duarte more than 5 times and they keep telling me there is nothing wrong. i am really frustrated and want to know if this is normal or does it need to get fixed. However, i am relieved to know that there are more Zs with the similar problem as mine. Please help!!
Old 12-07-2007, 01:43 PM
JonsilvZ

Damn this thread is back from 2003. I used to get that noise when it had less mileage. Now it has 36xxx miles smoother then ever.
Old 12-07-2007, 01:51 PM
Black Duck

I haven't seen this thread before. But I get the same noise on start up, usually if I haven't driven it in a day or too. Glad to see I'm not the only one!

I have 32K on the Z.
Old 12-07-2007, 03:27 PM
Wicked Z

i only have 17K miles on my car.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Intermittent grinding noise (only) on start up....