MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion (https://my350z.com/forum/)
-   Maintenance & Repair (https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance-and-repair-53/)
-   -   Clunking Noise--Related to Endlinks? (https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance-and-repair/318371-clunking-noise-related-to-endlinks.html)

BhashaZ 11-30-2007 09:58 AM

Clunking Noise--Related to Endlinks?

I have this annoying clunking sound that is coming from the rear of my car. Basically it seems like it is related to the suspenion, but I am really not sure what it is. I had both Status and West Covina Nissan look at it, but they couldn't figure out what was causing it. So I need input from this board.

It is not the exhaust hitting anything, and it's not the common "ticking" rear axle, because I had that before and this is NOTHING like a ticking sound (plus I got that TSB taken care of already). It is really a loud clunking/popping noise, and it's coming from the rear suspension. The sound generally comes when I am driving very slow and go over slight dips and bumps at parking lot speeds, and you can hear it while both inside the car driving, and also outside that car as well (for people standing nearby). It is starting to frustrate me since it obviously is not going to go away on its own. Plus it's very embarrassing!

Through my searching the forum, it seems like it may be related to the endlinks, although I am not a mechanic so I don't know for sure. I've read that having aftermarket anti-sway bars (such as the Hotchkis I have), put additional tension causing the endlink to become "loose" over time. This results in the endlink making a clunking/popping noise that I seem to be exhibiting. Anyways I was wanting to see if you guys had similar issues, and if so, how you guys dealt with it.

Here are the suspension mods that I have in case that helps:

Hotchkis Sway Bars
Hotchkis Springs

Any ideas?

Zilvia 11-30-2007 10:02 AM

kinds sounds like LSD maybe? not sure tho

iStan 11-30-2007 10:03 AM

Try putting some more grease on the sway bars. Mine is clunking from the hotchkis now. The rear shouldn't be too difficult.

BhashaZ 11-30-2007 10:04 AM

Zilvia - I dont think its the LSD, but I could be wrong. I think it's related to the suspension.

istan - I tried that but it didn't help. Luckily its only on the rears (so far...)

BhashaZ 11-30-2007 10:12 AM

Also, I have the newer version of the Hotchkis sways, which is the 4-hole design--and I have collars too.

(in case that matters)

nkohler 11-30-2007 10:17 AM

yes, check the endlink bolts and make sure they are tight, also wouldnt hurt to give all of your rear suspension bolts a once over to ensure they are tight as well. Also take a look at where the sways are bolted up to the frame of the car, these can come loose as well as the rubber bushing shift.

I have clunking as well and I believe it to be a very slightly loose bolt, or loose spring perch in my rear coilovers. My remedy is going to be to get under the car and take out the rear coilovers and then torque down every suspenion bolt again.

BhashaZ 11-30-2007 11:32 AM

Sometimes I think it is somehow related to the enlink, at other times I think it may be related to the springs. As for tightening down any bolts, West Covina Nissan did that for me, and they said there's no issues with that.

How do I find out FOR SURE its the endlinks? I don't want to buy new ones only to find out that I didn't fix my problem, or even make it worse!

InZomniac 11-30-2007 01:00 PM

I have seen multiple Zs in the shop that had aftermarket sways (mine included) that made clunking noises attributed to the endlinks loosening and the sway bar bracket bolts loosening. Check the bolts that were removed for the sway install.

BhashaZ 11-30-2007 01:06 PM

Which specific bolts? I we went over them twice to make sure everything was tight, but which exact bolts are u referring to? And you said your issues were related to the endlinks coming loose. If they're loose, aren't they already toast?

nkohler 11-30-2007 01:19 PM

This is the bolt that connects the sway bar to the end links, check it, and dont just check it for tightness but check that its not binding, so take the bolt off, and then re-torque it down to spec.

http://liljerk.morpheus.net/350Z/350.../images/03.jpg

Then check these bolts that hold the sway bar to the body of the car. The rubber bushing sometimes needs greased as well and can shift.

http://liljerk.morpheus.net/350Z/350.../images/10.jpg

This is the exact process I plan on doing sometime this winter to help resolve my claking issues. I am also however going to remove my rear coilovers and re-install them just to be sure.

BhashaZ 11-30-2007 01:24 PM

Thanks for the pix nkohler. Yeah, that's one thing I asked the dealership to do--take the bolt off and then put it back/torque it down. I think it could possibly be because there was extra tension and the alignment of the endlink/sway bar isn't correct, and torqueing it down incorrectly just doesn't do anything to help the situation.

InZomniac 11-30-2007 01:41 PM

Wow that was fast LOL Ya that is what I meant.

BTW Do not trust the dealer to do it. Have a shop do it or do it yourself.

BhashaZ 12-03-2007 08:14 AM

Thanks for the advice InZomniac.

Also, for anyone looking for more information, you can consult the following links:

PROBLEM
Hotchkis swaybars - clunking
Very frustrated: Loud pop in the rear

ADVICE
NISMO Sway Bar Touring 2 SCCA Adjustable Kit
This thread had the following response, which seems to be the same issue I'm having:

Originally Posted by loismustdie
i had the same clunking noise with my stock endlinks with my nismo nonadjustable bar, and just installed the adjustable endlinks from performance today.... the noise is gone... the new links are definitely sturdier and thicker than the OEM ones.. hopefully i won't have to deal with the noise ever again... 300 bucks for endlinks is steep, but to me well worth it... driving in a parking structure in a nice ride making ugly noises is not fun.

SOLUTION
Powergrid endlinks fixed my swaybar clunking problem

PRODUCT
The Be All, End All Endlink for your Z and G!!!

FURTHER DISCUSSION
End Links?
Poll: Which swaybar do you use if it makes clunking/popping/knocking noises

Bottom line is, based on my research, it seems that the problem is my end links. So, I will try to purchase new end links to see if this solves the problem. Hopefully I will take care of it in the next couple of weeks.

iStan 12-03-2007 08:17 AM

^Good post

InZomniac 12-03-2007 08:49 AM

Good Luck Basha!

BhashaZ 12-03-2007 09:30 AM

Thanks guys. I updated my prior post a little bit to include additional threads I (re)found.

One thing that concerns me is this post:

Originally Posted by jreiter
It's probably not the axle clicking TSB. I had that problem as well, and it sounded totally different. :) My Hotchkis swaybars behaved just like SunsetSunrise describes. Started clunking a few weeks after I installed them. I haven't been able to stop it since. I've tried a number of different end links, and none of them fixed it permanently. My latest heavy duty adjustable end links stopped the clunking for a while, but it's back. At this point, I'm thinking of putting the stock swaybars back in for a while and see how that goes, since that's the only thing I haven't tried yet.

(source: https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=248132)

jreiter is the guy who in the above posts says that the PowerGrid adjustable endlinks solved his problems. But I still think it's worth a shot anyways.

InZomniac 12-03-2007 11:54 AM

Well it depends on exactly why they are clunking. Lose, worn, or bad design...

3hree5ive0ero 12-03-2007 12:09 PM

I'm in the same boat as you. I've been subscribing to all the threads you listed above and reading them.

Mine's coming from the front left side. I have the hotchkis TVS Stage 1 also. It's gotta be either the springs or the sways.

One difference with me is that I went into this huge dip going about 70 or so. It was after that it started making the popping/clunking noise from the front left. Mine could be broken due to the pothole-like dip, so I'm gonna jack up the car sometime this or next weekend.

BhashaZ 12-03-2007 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by InZomniac
Well it depends on exactly why they are clunking. Lose, worn, or bad design...

I would guess it would be a combo of all of those! :icon14:

But I know what you mean...hopefully that will fix my problem though. I'm going to take it to a suspension expert though to make sure it is done RIGHT.

BhashaZ 12-03-2007 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by 3hree5ive0ero
I'm in the same boat as you. I've been subscribing to all the threads you listed above and reading them.

Mine's coming from the front left side. I have the hotchkis TVS Stage 1 also. It's gotta be either the springs or the sways.

One difference with me is that I went into this huge dip going about 70 or so. It was after that it started making the popping/clunking noise from the front left. Mine could be broken due to the pothole-like dip, so I'm gonna jack up the car sometime this or next weekend.

Yeah, I think after looking through all these threads the last 3-4 days, I guess it is a common problem. I really do think it is related to the endlinks, and I'll know for sure in the next 2 weeks.