Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

I need some basic info about sensors and frequency of replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 08:52 AM
blackfairlady

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I need some basic info about sensors and frequency of replacement

Posted this on bimmerforums (my DD's a 318) w/out a direct reponse...thought I'd post here considering a car's a car. I know a lot about cars, but for some reason I was never taught, or found through research, a straight, reliable answer about sensor replacement.

Sensors that just die and give a clear indication of needing replacement (e.g. cam/crank positions sensors) are the way all sensors should be in my book. Give me a light or something to work with so I know when to replace. My mechanic said to apply that theory to all sensors, as in, wait for a light then replace, but I have an inkling that there are some sensors on the car that could probably use replacement considering its age and are not throwing a CEL.

I haven't replaced any sensors, so a complete list of these type of sensors that should be replaced regularly (even w/out a CEL) would be amazing...and mileage intervals (aka frequency would be even better). I'll be using the same methods of upkeep on my DD.
Old 12-07-2007, 09:07 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

There is no such thing as a schedule of replacements for sensors. In theory, they should last forever or as long as you own the car.

Even something as simple as a light bulb is a "replace when it fails" type item. I suppose at 100K miles if you were really industrious, you could go through and replace them all, but at what price versus what benefit? By the same logic, the engine might fail or just wear out so what would be the replacement schedule on it?
Old 12-07-2007, 10:44 AM
blackfairlady

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
There is no such thing as a schedule of replacements for sensors. In theory, they should last forever or as long as you own the car.

Even something as simple as a light bulb is a "replace when it fails" type item. I suppose at 100K miles if you were really industrious, you could go through and replace them all, but at what price versus what benefit? By the same logic, the engine might fail or just wear out so what would be the replacement schedule on it?
Well that would explain the lack of information I have received on sensor replacement. Is it true that with O2 sensors they should be replaced every 100k if they are the newer, four wire type, in order to maximize fuel economy even with no CEL? I was thinking about replacing it at the bare min considering my bimmer's working on 200k and i think it may have been replaced once. If it's a waste of money, let me know!
Old 12-07-2007, 11:56 AM
blackfairlady

bump
Old 12-07-2007, 01:44 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

What does your maintenance book say about replacing sensors?
Old 12-07-2007, 01:58 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by blackfairlady
Well that would explain the lack of information I have received on sensor replacement. Is it true that with O2 sensors they should be replaced every 100k if they are the newer, four wire type, in order to maximize fuel economy even with no CEL? I was thinking about replacing it at the bare min considering my bimmer's working on 200k and i think it may have been replaced once. If it's a waste of money, let me know!
I've never heard that they're supposed to be replaced at 100K. I've got two cars, a Toyota and a Ford, with well over 100K miles and had no problems and never had it suggested by mechanics that they be replaced. In fact, one had a CEL and I suspected O2 sensor and it turned out to be the CAt that was dead.
Old 12-07-2007, 09:19 PM
blackfairlady

Thanks for the reply Dave. Interesting how many conflicting opinions there are about vehicle maintenance out there. I found some information pertaining to O2 sensors here: http://www.aa1car.com/library/o2sensor.htm

"SENSOR REPLACEMENT

Any O2 sensor that is defective obviously needs to be replaced. But there may also be benefits to replacing the O2 sensor periodically for preventative maintenance. Replacing an aging O2 sensor that has become sluggish can restore peak fuel efficiency, minimize exhaust emissions and prolong the life of the converter.

Unheated 1 or 2 wire wire O2 sensors on 1976 through early 1990s vehicles can be replaced every 30,000 to 50,000 miles. Heated 3 and 4-wire O2 sensors on mid-1980s through mid-1990s applications can be changed every 60,000 miles. On OBD II equipped vehicles (1996 & up), a replacement interval of 100,000 miles can be recommended."

...that what made me question the whole "don't replace unless you throw a CEL" bit.
Old 12-07-2007, 09:22 PM
blackfairlady

As far as I'm concerned the O2 will work fine well after 100k in most cases, but the gas mileage will not be bang on as with a fresh O2.

I wonder how much the "real" difference it would make replacing them at 100k.
Old 12-08-2007, 06:40 AM
blackfairlady

bump posts #7,8
Old 12-08-2007, 07:40 AM
Eazzy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Solid State Sensors hypthetically should last forever ...Crank Sensors, Cam Sensors etc. They dont WEAR out, they just fail due to fatigue.

Sensors that have moving parts ...The older TPSs for example just wear out and start to lie to the Management System

Other Sensors like MAFs and O2s are at the mercy of outside interferences MAFs.....Dirt,Oil or circuit shorts. O2s....Lean/Rich conditions. Contaminates in the exhaust...antifreeze, early sealants that werent O2 friendly

Too many variables for a preventative maintenence program

On the other hand, if I build a motor, it starts life with all new sensors

Last edited by Eazzy; 12-09-2007 at 03:59 AM.
Old 12-08-2007, 09:14 AM
blackfairlady

Originally Posted by Eazzzzzzy
Other Sensors like MAFs and O2s are at the mercy of outside interferences MAFs.....Dirt,Oil or circuit shorts. O2s....Lean/Rich conditions. Contaminates in the exhaust...antifreeze, early sealants that werent O2 friendly

Too many variables for a preventative maintenence program

On the other hand, if I build a motor, it starts life with all new sensors
forgive me, but you are essentially saying to not replace the O2s regularly (e.g. every 100k) because of these factors? Treat them much like the solid state sensors?
Old 12-09-2007, 04:05 AM
Eazzy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Is your exaust clean ? Residue? Fuel consumption? Apperently your not throwing a code. It's your call and your expence. Nothing wrong with preventative maintenence, but you have to draw a line at some point. I wont say to replace them at 100,000 but if it gives you peace of mind...do it.

Last edited by Eazzy; 12-09-2007 at 07:07 AM.
Old 12-09-2007, 06:56 AM
blackfairlady

Originally Posted by Eazzzzzzy
Is your exaust clean ? Residue? Fuel consumption? Apperently your not throwing a code. It's your call and your expence. Nothing wrong with preventative maintenence, but you have to draw a line at some point. I wont say to replace them at 100,000 but if it gives you pease of mind...do it.
Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.