Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

My Z Won't Start... and the Dealership is stumped :-(

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 03:53 PM
ZU L8R
Viper Sellout

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Electrical issues is the reason I ripped apart my car and parted it so I know what your feeling. Hopefully you don't have one of the U1000 codes. Those really suck. Have them check the inline relays to the ECU and the BCM. This is all under them assulption that they correctly coded the new components to work together properly.
Old 01-05-2008, 04:27 AM
bcheng4jc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

same thing happened to my Z when i still had it. it wouldnt start one morning. had it towed to the dealer. it was there for 2 weeks and they did everything and didnt know what it was. they reprogrammed my Z so many times, replaced my keys, etc. turned out....there's a harness for the unit that reads/senses the key fobs code and whatnot in the steering wheel column next to the harness for the bose noise cancelling unit. it had come loose and the car wasnt able to recognize my key and the car wouldnt start. so even after replacing my key's and reprogramming and whatnot, the car still wouldnt start cause it couldnt recognize all the changes they made. did you ever do the bose/resistor mod? only thing i could think of....good luck!
Old 01-05-2008, 04:51 AM
RM350Z

^ good one!!!
Old 01-05-2008, 11:32 AM
Corradoslc7

bcheng4jc, I doubt it's the keys/immobilizer as the op stated the car recognizes the key and will turn the engine over, it just won't fire up. If the dealer is sure it's not a fuel issue then it must not be getting either spark or air.
Old 01-05-2008, 02:46 PM
Tim@WestCovinaNissan
Banned

Originally Posted by Corradoslc7
bcheng4jc, I doubt it's the keys/immobilizer as the op stated the car recognizes the key and will turn the engine over, it just won't fire up. If the dealer is sure it's not a fuel issue then it must not be getting either spark or air.
Even with an unprogrammed key the engine will still turn over but it will not start. Good luck with this one. Can't say I've had any with this exact problem. Hope the dealer can figure it out. I've also heard good things about that dealer so they will figure it out....sometimes it just takes awhile. It usually turns out to be something easy/dumb. Overthinking is a terrible thing.

Last edited by Tim@WestCovinaNissan; 01-05-2008 at 02:48 PM.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:13 PM
Corradoslc7

My bad I guess I couldn't imagine that being possible. As it could cause damage if someone kept cranking the engine over and didn't know why the car wouldn't start.

Last edited by Corradoslc7; 01-05-2008 at 04:18 PM.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:31 PM
asianflip06

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im having the same issue with a 03 Altima with the VQ35 at my nissan dealership. Sounds like we have the same issue. You need to have them perform a Voltage drop test on the ECM power and grounds and verify its less than .1. Also have them use the consult 3 and probe at the ECM terminals for Crank shaft signal and both Cam(s) and get a nice Scope pattern and send the readings off to Techline to have a rep anaylize the data. ALso one thing i noticed was the Intake Valve timing on both banks were stuck at 64degress which would indicate a open circuit meaning that no cam signal is being sent to the computer. Right now we are at the ECU being at fault. and its being overnighted as we speak.... Let me know what problem your Z faces if they get somewhere...
Old 01-05-2008, 08:22 PM
eagletanggreen
Got Track!!!!!

All right guys! This happend to my car.

ForgedPerformance took them over two day working on my car to find out the problem.

My car would turn over but not start.
Once all the fuses are checked and all are good.
Have them unplug and re plug the crank angle sensor. If it starts great have them replaced, if it doesnt start have them replace them. Mine went bad during a track day while on the track.

Have those monkey's replace the crank angle sensor it a fast easy check..

Last edited by eagletanggreen; 01-05-2008 at 08:25 PM.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:21 AM
Al_s14

Originally Posted by HondaKiller
if it is cranking just not turning over
dude, thats an oxymoron

you guys do realize that giving advice to the OP at this point is pointless right? last thing a technician will do is listen to a customer who could not fix the car himself. especially since you will have to give that advice through the service writer. obviously they may have someone with no experience working on it which will extend time of the repair but still same thing...

scruffyburritos, just let them do their thing eventually they will find out what the problem is. just be glad its under warranty.
Old 01-11-2008, 04:24 PM
scruffyburritos

Originally Posted by Al_s14
dude, thats an oxymoron

you guys do realize that giving advice to the OP at this point is pointless right? last thing a technician will do is listen to a customer who could not fix the car himself. especially since you will have to give that advice through the service writer. obviously they may have someone with no experience working on it which will extend time of the repair but still same thing...

scruffyburritos, just let them do their thing eventually they will find out what the problem is. just be glad its under warranty.

yeah, i agree with you 110%. and it's not that i want to tell the guys in the shop what to do... just want to be able to bounce ideas out there for them. they don't have to admit it, but i could possibly throw something out there they haven't thought of and it might work or lead them in the right direction. anything is worth a shot in this situation honestly. and i don't just talk to the service writer. i always make sure i know who is working on my car and talk to them as well. hell, at some DEALERSHIPS, not just backwoods shops, ive even been able to just waltz around the shop.

anyway, they are now replacing the ENGINE HARNESS. and of course it's on BACKORDER. they put in the order SATURDAY 1/5/08 and figured it would be no later than Friday 1/11/08 that it would come in......

.....wait for it.....

......9:30 this morning they called and i was all excited when I saw "Auto Mike" pop up on my phone. I KNEW THIS WAS FINALLY IT! instead he just wanted to let me know the part is still on backorder and they have no idea at all when it will even ship to them let alone get there.

i miss my baby so much

Last edited by scruffyburritos; 01-11-2008 at 04:28 PM.
Old 01-11-2008, 05:36 PM
Al_s14

i know how you feel man. i didnt mean to be so negative above. just had a bad day i know exactly what you mean.

best of luck and please keep us posted i am very curious to see what caused the problem.

PS: its problems like this that makes me think 2ce about owning a nissan. i work for nissan an drive one but i would never recommend a used newer nissan to one of my relatives. i worked for Acura(honda) 2 years and literally saw 2 drivability problems and both were pretty straight forward...in half a year working for Infiniti i see wierd ****ed up issues on weekly basis. what i personally learned is that nissans are reliable and dont brake often if ever but when they do...shti will hit the fan and it will be one of toughest problems to diagnose. hate to say it but honda is #1 in my book...but i still love my nissan and will never give it up for a honda.

Last edited by Al_s14; 01-11-2008 at 05:50 PM.
Old 01-12-2008, 02:53 PM
scruffyburritos

So I was reading Florida Lemon Laws:

Have you taken the vehicle to the dealership or an authorized service agent at least 3 times for the SAME substantial defect or condition or has the vehicle been out of service for at least 15 cumulative calendar days due to one or more substantial defect or conditions?

There must be three repair attempts for the same defect or condition, OR at least 15 cumulative calendar days out of service for one or more defects or conditions, before submitting the Motor Vehicle Defect Notification [14K PDF]. If you do not have the required number of repair attempts or days out of service, then continue to take the vehicle to the dealer for repairs.
Please Note: If your complaint is based on the vehicle being out of service for 15 or more days the manufacturer or its authorized agent has the opportunity to inspect or repair the vehicle. If the vehicle still does not conform to the warranty for a total of 30 or more days and the manufacturer has had the opportunity to repair, you are entitled to request arbitration.

I wonder if I would be successful in pursuing this?

nevermind its a used car

Last edited by scruffyburritos; 01-12-2008 at 02:56 PM.
Old 01-13-2008, 03:58 AM
Q8-350

scruffyburritos, I had the same thing and dealer was going to drop my engine.

My Z is fixed, here is the link.

http://www.350zmotoring.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=49810

Good luck
Old 01-13-2008, 07:12 AM
scruffyburritos

^^^^^^ very helpful. thanks for that link! glad your baby is up and running again. :-)
Old 01-14-2008, 10:09 AM
scruffyburritos

I'm really upset now... I called the dealership demanding that someone give an answer as to what's going on. They tell me that the team working on my car has the day off and will not be back until tomorrow. I said put the car back together I want it towed. They said no. I am seriously at a loss. They are refusing to get me any type of answer and are refusing to put the car back together. Told me to call back after lunch tomorrow and they "might" have an answer.

I thought *** was a good place?
Old 01-14-2008, 03:37 PM
drivenCSZ

i would take a trip down there if i were you...someone should atleast be able to tell you what steps theyre taking to fix it
Old 01-14-2008, 03:44 PM
ZU L8R
Viper Sellout

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

They can't not give your car i don't think. If you really want it out of there go there and have the police come out there with you. There is a guy over in Tampa that has a bodyshop that has a Consult. He's on the forums. I forget his sn but the Co. name is Turbo Toys and his name is Jim. (813-695-6664) You could have it towed there and he can prob. fix it. If it's been long enough, start the lemon law procedure. There is a chance though it a fuseable link in the harness they are going to replace. If your under warranty though I'd leave it there casue it's all free.

Last edited by ZU L8R; 01-14-2008 at 03:49 PM.
Old 01-14-2008, 04:56 PM
zxpwr

Originally Posted by ZU L8R
If your under warranty though I'd leave it there casue it's all free.
+1 make them give you a rental car for free

they might have already checked.. but my problem was similar, one relay on the IPDM (located beside the battery) doesnt work

Last edited by zxpwr; 01-15-2008 at 10:54 AM.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:19 AM
katiesdad7

Remember the movie "Star Trek"? Scotty tells captain Kirk "the more they complicate the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain". New cars are so complex I wonder how they even run sometimes.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:40 PM
Corradoslc7

Originally Posted by Q8-350
scruffyburritos, I had the same thing and dealer was going to drop my engine.

My Z is fixed, here is the link.

http://www.350zmotoring.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=49810

Good luck
O8-350, I still don't get how you're car got fixed, if all your valves were stuck open. What was the exact problem that they fixed?

Quick Reply: My Z Won't Start... and the Dealership is stumped :-(