Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

My Z Won't Start... and the Dealership is stumped :-(

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 04:02 PM
scruffyburritos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Z Won't Start... and the Dealership is stumped :-(

So almost 3 weeks ago I had my 04 Z towed to the dealership after it would not start. It would crank but just wouldn't start. My first thought was to reset the alarm, but that did nothing. I tried everything I could think of myself before I brought it in because even though I'm bone stock and under warranty I'd rather just figure it out and fix it myself if I could...

Anyway, the dealership so far has done things such as replace the ECM, BCM, reset the alarm, replace my key, and replace my key fob. So far nothing is working. I called after I got off work today (right before they closed) and they said they have hit a wall, but will start working on it again in the morning.

I promise I tried searching, but I can't find anything like this on the forums here. Anyone have any ideas? I am really starting to get worried that even Nissan can't figure it out... I want to stop by on my lunch break tomorrow and would like to know if anyone here can possibly give me advice on this situation.

Old 01-03-2008, 04:17 PM
drivenCSZ

im assuming they changed the battery...lol

fuel pump?
Old 01-03-2008, 04:26 PM
JonsilvZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never heard of such a thing!
Old 01-03-2008, 04:29 PM
HondaKiller
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if it is cranking just not turning over it is either fuel related or elictrical. Sounds like they eliminated a lot of the elictrical today, hopefully they'll start with the fuel tomorrow. Hard to tell, what dealership did you take it to?
Old 01-03-2008, 04:29 PM
ZU L8R
Viper Sellout

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

They have a consult 2. They should be able to figure this out. Fuel pump, coils, crank angle sensor are just things off the top off my head that they should check if they haven't already. Is it @ ***?
Old 01-03-2008, 04:32 PM
scruffyburritos

Originally Posted by drivenCSZ
im assuming they changed the battery...lol

fuel pump?
Haha, yeah battery's good and there is fuel in the tank.

But in terms of the fuel pump... that was my neighbor's guess when I first went out to start the car and found it dead. His buddy who drives a Z just happened to have an extra walbro sitting around so he tried to change it for me... Nothing. And he wouldnt let me keep the walbro for later either, haha.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:34 PM
ZU L8R
Viper Sellout

Originally Posted by scruffyburritos
Haha, yeah battery's good and there is fuel in the tank.

But in terms of the fuel pump... that was my neighbor's guess when I first went out to start the car and found it dead. His buddy who drives a Z just happened to have an extra walbro sitting around so he tried to change it for me... Nothing. And he wouldnt let me keep the walbro for later either, haha.
Did you hear the Walboro come on when you put it in?
Old 01-03-2008, 04:35 PM
scruffyburritos

Originally Posted by HondaKiller
if it is cranking just not turning over it is either fuel related or elictrical. Sounds like they eliminated a lot of the elictrical today, hopefully they'll start with the fuel tomorrow. Hard to tell, what dealership did you take it to?
Autoway Nissan of Brandon. They seem competent and I've heard lots of good things...

I bought it at Courtesy Nissan in Tampa but I will never let them touch my Z again.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:38 PM
scruffyburritos

Originally Posted by ZU L8R
Did you hear the Walboro come on when you put it in?

louder, yes.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:49 PM
Netko350Z

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Flux Capacitor?
Old 01-03-2008, 04:54 PM
ZU L8R
Viper Sellout

Originally Posted by scruffyburritos
louder, yes.
*** is a excellent dealership so this is kinda weird. Ok, so the pump is working and getting signal. Have you had any tranny work done?
Old 01-03-2008, 05:19 PM
scruffyburritos

*** is a excellent dealership so this is kinda weird. Ok, so the pump is working and getting signal. Have you had any tranny work done?
Nope, not a thing with the tranny. I will let you know what they say after I stop in tomorrow. I mean there isn't much left at this point, yet it has to be something
Old 01-03-2008, 05:22 PM
Blake@Braille

Does the car "turn-over"? In other words, does it rotate the crank with the starter when the key is turned?

I have an 04 and the day after I bought it I filled it up with fuel and it refused to start. In trouble shooting I removed the fuel cap cranked the car a few revolutions, returned the fuel cap tightly and the car started up!

I know there were some fuel evap/pressure problems in the 04 vehicles. I believe I got a recall warning about this once.

It never happened on the 04 automatic I had, just the 04 that I currently own.

I see you are in Tampa. If you don't get this sorted, PM me I may have some contacts to help you!

Besides, I also have about 10,000 batteries in stock so you can crank the car till the cows come home... just kidding. I hope you get this worked out. If you need something PM me.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:25 PM
ZU L8R
Viper Sellout

Have them check the cam and crank angle sensors. They should be throwing codes so I doubt those should be the problem. If it is throwing codes write them down and post them
Old 01-03-2008, 05:28 PM
Doba

First things I would always check is the fuel and for spark, not only by listening to the fuel pump but actually taking off the line going into the fuel rail and see if its getting fuel, secondly see if theres a spark.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:51 PM
Corradoslc7

The ECM and BCM would be the last thing I would replace as they rarely fail and on top of that cost alot of money. These guys sound like they are just throwing parts at the problem. Also just because you hear the fuel pump prime doesn't mean the fuel is getting to the cylinders. The injectors could be blocked or the fpr could be faulty. Other than that just make sure it is getting air and spark.
Old 01-04-2008, 02:43 PM
scruffyburritos

Have them check the cam and crank angle sensors. They should be throwing codes so I doubt those should be the problem. If it is throwing codes write them down and post them
Wish I would have checked this post before I spoke with the guys @ *** today. I will ask Monday for codes and post them if there are any...

Unfortunately, I was unable to make it on my lunch break as planned but I did speak on the phone with a couple guys and this is what they've told me:

Fuel System: they've done 2 thorough checks of the fuel system and as far as they can tell it is definitely NOT related to the fuel system. They said the fuel system was one of the first things they checked and they just finished checking it out again yesterday/this morning.

So... now they are telling me they are positive it is something related to the electrical system. OK I say, but that's very broad... can you narrow it down a bit I asked? Nope, they only wish they could.

Apparently the guys there have never seen anything quite like this. It's so hard for me to believe, especially after all of the great things I've read and heard about ***. I like these guys, but I'm getting frustrated that I can't get anything more specific out of them than "electrical problem."

I have off Monday so it is my number one priority to go over there and get codes, and more specific responses...

Who knows? Maybe it is the flux capacitor?

Seriously though, anybody who wants to throw out any more ideas of what it could be feel free to do so...
Old 01-04-2008, 02:55 PM
scruffyburritos

Originally Posted by Blake@Braille
Does the car "turn-over"? In other words, does it rotate the crank with the starter when the key is turned?

I have an 04 and the day after I bought it I filled it up with fuel and it refused to start. In trouble shooting I removed the fuel cap cranked the car a few revolutions, returned the fuel cap tightly and the car started up!

I know there were some fuel evap/pressure problems in the 04 vehicles. I believe I got a recall warning about this once.

It never happened on the 04 automatic I had, just the 04 that I currently own.

I see you are in Tampa. If you don't get this sorted, PM me I may have some contacts to help you!

Besides, I also have about 10,000 batteries in stock so you can crank the car till the cows come home... just kidding. I hope you get this worked out. If you need something PM me.

Thanks very much. And yes, it does turn over... one of the first things I tried was the fuel cap thing because I remembered that recall you're speaking of. Nothing.

But yeah, if *** continues to fail me I will take you up on that offer....
Old 01-04-2008, 03:05 PM
Money0veru
Banned

ECU or Fuel pump relay. FTMFW!!
Old 01-04-2008, 03:49 PM
Ichigo

new Z, let them dissect it on their dime.

Quick Reply: My Z Won't Start... and the Dealership is stumped :-(