Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Feathered Front Tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2003, 11:33 AM
StoneSilverTrack350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UPDATE possible fix

Here is the story.

Just got of phone with Jacksonivlle Nissan (where i bought the car). Bitched about the service im getting down here in South florida, and the TSB tire feathering problem.

He said the following.

One, people having probs with tire feathing will typically get new tires out of the deal if they are under 6k miles

two, DO not get your car aligned anywhere else besides nissan otherwise <poof> nissan alignment warranty.

three, Nissan alignment warranty only good up to 12k.

four, Nissan HAS RECENTLY CHANGED THEIR ALIGNMENT FIGURES!!!

--at this point i asked, "How recently", he said "Recently".

So, what does this mean?!?!

Possibly that, any of you who have had your tires replaced and have had the alignment fixed to the NEW numbers, may not see any problems.

Those of you who have had the TSB service, then still had problems after wards, may have had the fix, but the fix was still under the OLD alignment settings.... (which means the problem would come back)....

Lets hope things are getting better.

~AJ
Old 07-13-2003, 12:18 AM
dam294

OK, here is an update to my earlier post.

One week after my original appointment to have the tires checked out I got another call from my dealer. The guy says he now has the tool to change the tires and asks when I would like to setup up an appointment. We made the appointment for Friday 7/11 (woohoo two lucky numbers in that date )

Well, I dropped the car off Friday morning for the tires and the grease streaks on the window. Picked it up Friday afternoon with two new front tires and no more streaks on the drivers side window. They also re-alligned the front end to new specs, hopefullly this takes care of the feathering problem.

My dealer made this very easy. They never even tried to give me any crap about the tires and told me staight up that the was a service bulletin on the windows and they'd take care of it all which they did.

Now, what happened to my passenger window grease streak prob? My service advisor told me there was a clip on the replacement kit that didn't look right and he wasn't going to put it on my car, but that he had another kit on order and would call me when it arrived. I know sounds like another load of crap, right? Maybe, but these guys have been really good about keeping their word and actually calling me when they say they will.

I'm very pleased with the service I've received so far from my delaer (OMG, I never thought I'd say that ). And damn, the road noise is gone, at least for now and I never realized how bad it was til I got the new tires. It's like I'm driving a brand new car again.. No noise at all.
Old 07-13-2003, 07:04 AM
barrybell

What are the new specs?
Old 07-13-2003, 10:31 PM
dam294

Originally posted by barrybell
What are the new specs?
Sorry, I don't know what the new specs are for the allignment. It's kind of funny though, I just had the 7500 mile service done about two months ago. They checked the allignment and the invoice I have from that visit says the allignment was fine. Then when I got the tires replaced my invoice says "front end out of specifications, re-alligned". My service advisor just told me that they had new numbers for the allignment which is suppose to be the permanent fix for the feathering prob.
Old 07-29-2003, 09:16 PM
ATC Ken

Update #2

Okay...my car has been up on jack stands in an empty bay at my dealer waiting for my wheels to be successfully repaired by NTB (who gouged them in the process of doing the TSB tire switching procedure). NTB, who was contracted to do the work by my Nissan dealer (Baker-Jackson Houston/Astrodome), has sent the wheels out twice for repairs but to no avail. Clear coat immediately cracks and there are still remants of the gouging. Baker-Jackson is getting pissed, NNA rep is pissed, and I am extremely pissed. Today, I went in and got the GM of the dealership to okay purchase of new wheels ($758 each by the way) and I'll hopefully have those in two days. The dealership is going to satisfy me and then go to war with NTB.

So...this is the story on the feathering in my case. Nissan purchased new OEM front tires for me. NTB screwed up wheels in the process of remounting and I'm getting new front Rays. Hopefully, I'll have this resolved (and my car back) by late Thursday.

Anyone in Houston that uses NTB, I'd recommend NOT using the outlet on 610 across from Reliant Stadium...not honest, to say the least! My dealer, on the other hand (Baker-Jackson - Astrodome) has been top notch and really stepped up to the plate on this!

Ken
Old 08-03-2003, 08:08 AM
FrankieZZ

What a confusing mess !

FrankieZZ
Old 08-03-2003, 09:02 AM
toykilla

im heading in within the next few weeks to wage war.. wish me luck
Old 08-03-2003, 06:54 PM
Ozz

Mine is going in on Tuesday 8/5. I will be well prepared due to all the info in this thread. Thanks to everyone for their efforts to get this information out to others. I'll be sure to let everyone here know how it turns out

Oz
Old 08-03-2003, 07:47 PM
raceboy
Banned

Here is what I am hearing right now from Nissan. There is a suspension redesign/retrofit coming. They are going to add a camber adjustment to the Z because that is the issue and no ammount of aligning the car is going to fix it. The car does not have enough negative camber.
Old 08-04-2003, 01:25 PM
christoc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by raceboy
Here is what I am hearing right now from Nissan. There is a suspension redesign/retrofit coming. They are going to add a camber adjustment to the Z because that is the issue and no ammount of aligning the car is going to fix it. The car does not have enough negative camber.
That is VERY GOOD news! Mine is at Lou Fusz here in St. Louis right now getting hail damage repaired, and will be seeing the service department after that for the window grease, and LOUD road noise
Old 08-06-2003, 06:27 PM
johnsZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have seen a lot of these feathering issues. I have 2900 miles on my redline- and i just went out and ran my hands over the tires- there is no sign of non-uniform wear, no cupping. The tires are Potenza's. These tires are pretty soft- only 260 wear rating, so figure only about 20000 miles at best, and they will be pretty sensitive to air pressure and also driving habits- if you turn hard a lot, they will wear hard. I let go of the steering wheel on the way home, and the car did not drift out of lane for more than 10 seconds at 70 mph. Maybe my alignment is good, but no problems to report.
Old 08-07-2003, 06:17 AM
ZISBAK

Well, I feel like someone had wack me in the back of the head!!! I took my car to discount tire to have them check my tires, and yes it is feathering!!!! My car was built in Feb.23 of this year, so far it only has 8000 miles on it. before I bought my Z, I've heard about this feathering problem and I've been keep my eyes on it for the longest time. I even had one my friend (Nissan Tech Trainer) did a alignment around 2000 miles just to make sure eveything was in spec. At that time, eveything seem likes it was within spec, expect the right side was a little bit off, but not much. and about a month ago, I start noticing a little road noise coming out of car, couldn't tell if it was coming out of front or rear? But I go ahead and swap the front tires, and the noise had dramaticly went down, but after about 3 weeks or so, it all came back and worst!!! So, I've also contact the NNA and open a claim #. I really hope they would find a permanet fix soon! Because I hate to get the tire replace and it will just feathering again after few thousand miles!!

Has anyone that had aftermarket suspension put on, and have no feathering re-occuring anymore? Because I'm planning to get coilover suspension kit and sway bar with some 19's in about few months, but I want to make sure the feathering is not going to be an issue later! I'm also planning to get Adjustable Camber and Traction rod as well!! Someone please help out!!!!!
Old 08-08-2003, 01:40 PM
tobydog

My Z has only 600 miles and so far no issues ~ yet. I wanted to ask you guys two things:

1) When did the feathering start (miles) ?
2) If they are any San Francisco owners out there, let me know which dealer you guys/gals took it to to have these issues resolved?

Thanks Gang!!!
Old 08-10-2003, 08:51 AM
Zyasooner

Shift Z,

Your one of the few posts I have seen with a tire feathering issue for cars built in 2003. I heard recently that this problem was actually fixed for cars built this year. I also live in Coppell and would love to hook up sometime to see what your doing with this issue.

For all Z owners out there with build dates in 2003 that have over 5,000 miles on their vehicles, what has your feathering experience been?
Old 08-10-2003, 12:38 PM
christoc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine was built in 03/2003 I have almost 10k on it. I don't know if the tires aer feathering, but they sure as hell generate a LOT more road noise than they did just a few thousand miles ago...

I am waiting on mine in the body shop, it's in for hail damage, then I hope to get the warranty work done.
Old 08-27-2003, 06:34 PM
mf01

Originally posted by raceboy
Has this been done yet? I think I have the tire feathering and need to get it fixed, but what's the point if they haven't solved the problem.
Old 08-27-2003, 07:20 PM
SungNamZ

Mine is going in on 9/5. Have 16,000 miles on my car. Noticed road noise long before my 11,000 mile Service. Master Tech. not available at time, so Service Manager elected to look at problem at 15,000 mile Service. Provided "New" Service Department Manager with pictures of "feathering". Very appreciative! Had two complaints that same day prior to mine.

Did everything "smcgee1970" suggested. Called (1-800-Nissan-1) and filed a complaint. Received a case/reference number. Got the name of the Nissan-1 representative, to include her direct number. As stated, appointment is scheduled for 9/5

Nissan-1 representative said it is very important that actions be initiated in accordance with TSB. She made note of my service date and asked that I call her at her direct number during and after service. Tires will be replaced if they are as bad as I and the "Master Tech" have indicated.

The Nissan-1 Representative is "Michelle". After my 1st call, sent me a "VERY" nice "Thanks for calling" postcard. She can be reached at 800-647-7261 Ext. 8462. Her direct number is: 310-771-8462.

According to the "Master Tech" at my dealer, apparently they had a similar problem with the "Pathfinder". More tire problem than allignment.

Will post results after my 9/5 service.
Old 08-27-2003, 08:47 PM
s9am_me

lemme get this straight... so if this an alignment problem... and if i were to get aftermarket tires... the same abnormal feathering would happen no matter what??? I have 4,700 miles and still going good here. just a lil more cautious
Old 08-28-2003, 09:08 AM
mf01

I just took it to the dealer and they said that Discount tire will swap the tires. They also said I should expect to see some scratches, because the rims are hard to take tires off.
After they are swaped they then do the alignment. Which supposedly fixes the feathering.
Old 08-28-2003, 03:02 PM
ZISBAK

Originally posted by Zyasooner
Shift Z,

Your one of the few posts I have seen with a tire feathering issue for cars built in 2003. I heard recently that this problem was actually fixed for cars built this year. I also live in Coppell and would love to hook up sometime to see what your doing with this issue.

For all Z owners out there with build dates in 2003 that have over 5,000 miles on their vehicles, what has your feathering experience been?
Scott, check your Pm, I've pm you awhile back, have not got a reply.

Quick Reply: Feathered Front Tires