Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Feathered Front Tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2003, 03:39 PM
smcgee1970

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Feathered Front Tires

I got approval today from Nissan to replace both of my front tires. I have about 10,000 miles on my car, and the road roar is amazing. I didn't really notice the feathering until about 8000 miles, but once it became evident, it deteriorated rapidly. At this point, the feathering is not just on the inside edge, it is across the entire tread.

For those who don't already know the process, here is what I did to get replacements.

1. Call Nissan (1-800-Nissan1) and file a complaint. Specifically tell the rep that the problem is road noise and you think the tires are feathering.

2. After the complaint is filed, be sure to write down the reference number. Ask the rep for their name and direct phone number. Ask the rep for the number of the service bulletin.

3. Call your dealer and make a service appointment. Tell the dealer service writer the complaint reference number and the service bulletin number. They will tell you they don't need it and can find it. Don't believe them. You will waste a trip if you don't give them the info. They will wind up telling you they couldn't find anything on "Feathered Tires". This is true. The bulletin is under "Road Noise". It is also a good idea to tell them the name and direct phone number of your Nissan rep.

4. After the dealer get's your car, they will check the allignment and probably tell you everything is fine, and they don't know why the tires are wearing.

5. Don't get mad. Call your Nissan rep back, and complain again. Tell them that the tires have to be replaced, and that you need them to call the dealer and authorize the waranty replacement.

6. After 2 or 3 sessions with your Nissan rep, they will in fact call the dealer and authorize replacement.

This process is not based on conflict, or yelling and screaming. You do need to be persistent, and work with your Nissan rep. Talk to the same person every time. The dealer may jump all over this for you, but chances are they are very busy and these phone calls take time. You can help yourself out a lot by complaining and working the waranty process yourself. Just be polite. It helps to mention that most of us paid full list for our cars, and we really expect excellent service.
Old 06-25-2003, 06:51 PM
articfury
Charter Member #55

My problem is Nissan is now using that TSB to say that they won't replace tires until the noise is greatly different than stock. Instead, they should be trying to fix the feathering and replacing the tires based on feathering, not noise.

JD
Old 06-26-2003, 07:26 AM
WashUJon

Originally posted by articfury
My problem is Nissan is now using that TSB to say that they won't replace tires until the noise is greatly different than stock. Instead, they should be trying to fix the feathering and replacing the tires based on feathering, not noise.

JD
This is the problem! They're treating the symptom and not the cause, at least publicly. Hopefully, they're working on a solution to the cause of the problem behind closed doors.
Old 06-27-2003, 04:55 PM
WayneTN

Even after you are successful in getting them replaced, won't they just do the same thing again? This is what concerns me.

What's the real fix here?

WayneTN
Old 06-30-2003, 01:42 PM
smcgee1970

Yeah, they will do it all over again until Nissan figures out a way to fix the suspension geometry. I'm not getting anything from NNA or my dealer other than what everybody else has already said. I really wonder if a lot of the problem is that the vehicle tests were perfomed with PilotSport rather than the Potenza tires. I don't know if it's true or not, but I have been told that from several sources that the Z was designed for a totally different contact patch tire...PilotSports. My Japanese plastic model that I built came wth PilotSport tires. Wouldn't that be too funny for words if the stupid model has it right.
Old 06-30-2003, 02:25 PM
350z03

Default Potenza S03s

Anyone with S03s have the cupping problem?

Black Track
Old 06-30-2003, 03:00 PM
takes12no1z

Default I can vouch for this list

I wish the list had been posted a few months ago. But it's right on exactly what I had to do, except I had to speak to a supervisor at Nissan, as my calls were not ever returned. It was not the reps fault, it would appear their call center is understaffed. They must hate the 350z there!

But now I just got approved for tire replacement also. But then the noise on my at 7000 miles is unbareable.

You know if Nissan had just said "Look we know it's a problem, we are trying to figure it out, give us some time" I would be OK with that. Instead the District Service manager lied and said there was no problem!

But even if they replace the tires, we will still have the same issue 2000 miles later. I love the car, and I guess they are just trying to figure a way to not admit there is a problem where they have to replace 60,000 tires and the 60,00 shocks (tires + "ripple control shocks" is my theory)

PS: I've checked a total of 20 Z's I've run across. Every single one had the problem.
Old 06-30-2003, 03:36 PM
FLY BY Z

Hey dude whats up! Thanks for assesing my tire damage! Getting realigned and new tires on Friday down in San Antonio along with a new Bose HU and the window grease fix...
Old 06-30-2003, 09:26 PM
takes12no1z

Smile Whats up Mr HEad!

Don't fear the grease fix...Mine went fine. No problems.

I can tell you alignment wont fix it but as soon as I find the solution(or hear of one) I'll let you know.

Tommorrow I finally get to go in for replacement of tires. I can't wait. I might try to ask for another type of OEMs are back ordered.

PS:I wish I would have paid the $15....
Old 07-01-2003, 11:17 AM
registered12345

I'm currently following the steps you posted to get my tire feathering issue taken care of. They are kinda giving me a hard time. We will see how it goes. Is anyone willing to give me their reference # so they can see how your issue was resolved.

On another note:

I have 7500 miles and my back tires are almost ready to be changed.
I really havent pushed this car to much for them to be going so soon.
Anyone with the same problem ?
Old 07-01-2003, 12:57 PM
smcgee1970

NNA knows how everybody has been dealt with. We are all in their database. Just be persistent and don't take no for an answer. They know that sooner or later they will be buying everybody with the problem front tires at the very minimum. At this point, they are just trying to minimize the outflow of short supply tires and cash.
Old 07-02-2003, 04:53 PM
dam294

The process worked for me, and man was it easy (sort of). I had an appointment today with my dealer that I setup last week to check the tires and grease streaks. Yesterday after I read this thread I called NNA to register my complaint.

Anyway, this morning I dropped off my car at my dealer. I explained I heard extremely loud road noise, especially at lower speeds. I also pointed out the feathering which on my tires was more towards the inside of the tread. I then told the service writer that I had registered a complaint with NNA and that my ultimate goal was to have the tires replaced. I was very nice, just made it clear what I expected.

About six hours later the service manager (I think he was the manager) called me. Very nice guy, tells me that the kit to repair the window grease is on order. Then his next sentence starts with "I'm not going to ******** you on the tires". I'm going to replace your front tires.

Here is where the it was sort of easy part comes in. The guy now tells me that his tire machine for mounting/unmounting tires does not have a part required to mount/dismount tires on the 17 and 18 inch Z wheels. So, he has ordered the "part" for his tire machine (why the heck wouldn't they have this? Were they not planning on anyone ever needing a tire changed?) and I have a printed invoice that say's they wil replace the tires!!!!!

I guess my next fight is, what is the real problem. I don't want to go through this again at 18K miles.
Old 07-02-2003, 07:56 PM
350z03

[i]... "I'm not going to ******** you on the tires". I'm going to replace your front tires.

Here is where the it was sort of easy part comes in. The guy now tells me that his tire machine for mounting/unmounting tires does not have a part required to mount/dismount tires on the 17 and 18 inch Z wheels. So, he has ordered the "part" for his tire machine (why the heck wouldn't they have this? Were they not planning on anyone ever needing a tire changed?) and I have a printed invoice that say's they wil replace the tires!!!!!

I guess my next fight is, what is the real problem. I don't want to go through this again at 18K miles. [/B]

IMO, he WAS BS-ing with you. Don't get me wrong, hopefully not, but prepare for a long wait my friend.

Black Track
Old 07-02-2003, 08:15 PM
markt71Z

Called a dealership today to ask if maybe I should get an alignment now to maybe "prevent" the feathering later down the road (I have less than 700 miles on mine). He told me that it looks like this problem is a tire issue and told me to just wait since there is a major backorder on tires anyhow. He said I had 12 months to still get an alignment. Well, really since there is no official TSB or word from Nissan, whatya do???

I've been in a Z with the feathering problem and I hope I don't have to endure that noise.

Keeping a watchful eye on my tires.................
Old 07-02-2003, 08:23 PM
dam294

IMO, he WAS BS-ing with you. Don't get me wrong, hopefully not, but prepare for a long wait my friend.
OK. But like I said, I have a copy of the service order which states they will replace the tires. Now since I have an NNA reference number 4185??? and something in writing from the dealer, I think I'll not wait long before hiring a lawyer!!
Old 07-03-2003, 10:16 AM
ATC Ken

Many dealers don't have the required part to perform an alignment on the Z. I am experiencing the feathering problem (am going through the whole NNA complaint and reference number procedure) and have my Z in the shop today. The service mgr said they don't have the correct fittings to align the Z's (I had been told this before and have also checked other dealers in the Houston area) and that they have been sending them next door to NTB to do the work. I said I was concerned about damage to my wheels (as well as resolving the feathering/road growl issue) and he assured me that NTB has the right equipment and will be careful. Apparently several other Z's have already been in and experienced this.

I'll update on this forum on the progress of my complaint.

Ken
Old 07-03-2003, 12:35 PM
smcgee1970

The RE040 are on backorder, but I got a call from my dealer that mine had arived 1 week to the day after they ordered them...seems like they are getting caught up. Just because there have been long backorder waits doesn't mean that the backorder situation will continue forever. It just requires Bridgestone to increase production rates. Without a doubt, demand for the tire has already shreaded forecast models. I imagine they are quickly responding. After all Bridgestone won't be paying for the tires, Nissan will...in the end it is more business for Brindgestone.

As for the tire mount/dismount question, lots of dealers don't ordinarilly service 18" high performance tires. Sometimes you don't want them to. Guys that don't do that often, make mistakes and screw up very expensive rims. Some dealers regularly contract the work out to a local tire retailer.
Old 07-04-2003, 08:43 PM
ATC Ken

Update #1 and it's sad...

Went to pick up my car after the TSB work reference the road noise. Like I said, my dealer doesn't have the right equipment to unmount tires from the wheels on the 350Zs so they contract out to NTB tires. Well, long story short...NTB (according to my dealer) gouged one of my wheels in the process of reversing the tires. There is also now a large cut near the rim portion of the tire that my dealer was at a loss to explain. This tire is basically unsafe now at high speeds so I can't take my Z to work. Luckily I have another car at the moment but I'm still pissed. The only good news about all this is that my dealer (service manager) agreed that the tires were feathered, in addition to the split/cut on the one tire, and that he would help in getting NNA to buy me new tires. Of course nothing getting done this weekend because of the holiday so we'll see what action NNA and my dealer take on Monday.

I did drive over to the NTB that did the wheel/tire work after leaving my dealer and talked to the manager there. He of course denied that they had done any damage but by the end of our conversation was saying that NTB and my dealer would talk and "maybe" work something out (wheel repair).

I aim to call my rep at NNA on Monday and complain loudly. My dealer did say he would call my NNA rep also on Monday. We'll see what happens.

All in all, a bad experience so far. Hopefully my next update will have a better outcome.

Ken
Old 07-08-2003, 05:57 PM
dam294

Originally posted by ATC Ken
Update #1 and it's sad...

Well, long story short...NTB (according to my dealer) gouged one of my wheels in the process of reversing the tires.
Ken
Take nothing less than a new wheel. I'd go sideways on a dealer that told me to "blame it on the guy I contracted to do the work".

Your dealer contracted NTW, therefore, he should own up to any damage that contractor caused. You shouldn't even need to talk to NTW. You didn't drop your car off there!
Old 07-08-2003, 07:05 PM
sands

Originally posted by ATC Ken
Many dealers don't have the required part to perform an alignment on the Z. I am experiencing the feathering problem (am going through the whole NNA complaint and reference number procedure) and have my Z in the shop today. The service mgr said they don't have the correct fittings to align the Z's (I had been told this before and have also checked other dealers in the Houston area) and that they have been sending them next door to NTB to do the work. I said I was concerned about damage to my wheels (as well as resolving the feathering/road growl issue) and he assured me that NTB has the right equipment and will be careful. Apparently several other Z's have already been in and experienced this.

I'll update on this forum on the progress of my complaint.

Ken
Mind posting or PMing me the dealers name?

Quick Reply: Feathered Front Tires