Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Hit rock, please help.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008 | 02:02 PM
ZSpectrum

Originally Posted by WhiteNoiz
Alright... the tally is in, an let me tell yu, I'm excite not!

Axel click TSB- covered
04.5 right drift TSB (right front suspension compression rod)- $400

Now the rock damage:

Oil pan- $220

Crossmember
Crossmember support
splash gaurd <------all that $3200
heat shield
exhaust/muffler

TOTAL: $3520

I was told the only thing that really HAS to be done would be the oil pan. I dont think I can live with a "tweaked" crossmember, not on the Z. The 400 for the right front suspension compression rod is going to have to wait for now.

Right now, I'm thinking filing a claim and getting it all fixed is the way to go.
Heres what you do, fck the splash guards there ugly anyway, buy an aftermarket exhaust put it on yourself, get everything else fixed but put on an aps oil pan or something worthwile.
Old 03-11-2008 | 03:35 PM
WhiteNoiz

Originally Posted by ZSpectrum
Heres what you do, fck the splash guards there ugly anyway, buy an aftermarket exhaust put it on yourself, get everything else fixed but put on an aps oil pan or something worthwile.

Exhaust something I want to upgrade eventually, and the replacing stock would be for esthetic purpose only...while the car is on a lift hah. Oil pan and crossmember will definatly need to be done. Maybe I could just have them replace he crossmemeber, and crossmember support. I could do the oil pan, and upgrade the exhaust later when I have the money. If I really wanted, I could put on the splash gaurds too, later on...do they protect anything important? looked like there was a plug of some sort exposed after it was ripped off.

My original thinking was "as long as I'm making a claim, I might as well do it all" What really kills me is that you really cant tell any of that stuff is wrong, and its 3500 to fix wtf!
Old 03-11-2008 | 09:55 PM
clarkemtp

"She said"... in reference to the collision v. comprehensive, who is "she"? If it's your agent, well IMHO you're pretty much screwed, it's going to go down as collision. BUT... that being said, if that the attitude/customer service you're getting from your agent I would:

1) file the claim, let them pay it to repair you in full
2) research a new insurance company/AGENT.

As you're finding, you could have the best insurance in the world, but if you have a lousy agent, you're going to end up unhappy at some point.

I have State Farm, have had them for close to 20 years now. Could I get insurance a few bucks cheaper somewhere else? Probably. But the relationship I've developed with my agent means the customer service I receive when I DO have a problem is untouchable by anyone else. In many aspects of life you get what you pay for. Good luck.
Old 03-12-2008 | 07:00 AM
ZSpectrum

Originally Posted by WhiteNoiz
Exhaust something I want to upgrade eventually, and the replacing stock would be for esthetic purpose only...while the car is on a lift hah. Oil pan and crossmember will definatly need to be done. Maybe I could just have them replace he crossmemeber, and crossmember support. I could do the oil pan, and upgrade the exhaust later when I have the money. If I really wanted, I could put on the splash gaurds too, later on...do they protect anything important? looked like there was a plug of some sort exposed after it was ripped off.

My original thinking was "as long as I'm making a claim, I might as well do it all" What really kills me is that you really cant tell any of that stuff is wrong, and its 3500 to fix wtf!
Well if you make a claim take the money for it all and do what you can yourself and pay the dealership for the crossmember ****, then buy yourself an aps oil pan and the single exhaust with y pipe and testpipes or a true dual with testpipes. Woot.
Old 03-12-2008 | 01:42 PM
WhiteNoiz

Well, the insurance company kept changing their story, and what qualifies for collision, and what qualifies for comprehensive. The story I got from them at first, from two people, was that it didnt matter if the rock was stationary or moving, the rock had to have fallen ON my car. After it landed ON my car, then I ran over it, it would be comprehensive. Collision = hitting a tree, a post etc. ok, I understand that. Comprehensive, a deer, or wild animal, ok. Rock (apparently), was the "even if moving, once it touches the ground, its collision" She even put me on hold to "verify", and went on saying the reason being, that once it hits the ground it should be easier to avoid moving or not. She even gave an example that if I drove under and overpass and a rock fell on my car, it would qualify. So I explained twice, that the moving rock should be no different than a moving animal! They kept with the "once the rock touches the ground" bs. I went to management, she ask me if the rock was moving, suddenly it mattered! She said "well the reason its comprehensive is because the first two times you called called, you said the rock was stationary". Uhhhhh, what!? Ive been going rounds about this rock falling into the road, the only reason I called the management because of the lack of logic!! The one chick put me on hold to verify that once it touches the ground its collision, gave the overpass example, on and on... I was pissed. I think they just wanted the extra 250 in the deductable... She finally switched it over for me... I love dealing with insurance companies...or something. anyway, rant over...thanks for listening.

Last edited by WhiteNoiz; 03-12-2008 at 02:22 PM.