Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

How-To Repair Stuck / Broken Window Motor ...

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 01:41 PM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Received 400 Likes on 227 Posts

Both are easily search able..
I believe its about four hours per door in labor.
Ul be doing it yourself in the end u presume w this fact in.mind lol.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:11 AM
bmyles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Surprised no one has found/mentioned this in this thread: https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance...-be-fixed.html

Bottom line: stop buying reman motors from anybody. They are not rebuilding them correctly. A few bucks for new brushes and you're done. That or buy a brand new OEM motor if you don't feel like soldering.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:44 AM
kjr

Hello forum members. I just have one question. My window motor went out a few days ago and I've been reading these forums up and down trying to learn how to change it myself. My question is with the duck tape, does it leave any marks or anything when you peel it off? My friend mistakingly used moving tape and it left some marks he had to later scrub off.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:15 AM
bjr

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kjr
Hello forum members. I just have one question. My window motor went out a few days ago and I've been reading these forums up and down trying to learn how to change it myself. My question is with the duck tape, does it leave any marks or anything when you peel it off? My friend mistakingly used moving tape and it left some marks he had to later scrub off.
I have used 3M duct tape several times and it leaves very little sticky residue on the black trim where the glass meets the door on the outside. Cleans up very easily.
If you are concerned blue painters tape was mentioned earlier somewhere and should leave no marks. Apparently it's strong enough to hold the window up.

Make sure you go along the whole bottom of the window and I always go up behind the side mirror on that vertical piece there. You want to make the tape hold the glass to the black plastic and it shouldn't drop more than a fraction of an inch.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:37 AM
kjr

Originally Posted by bjr
I have used 3M duct tape several times and it leaves very little sticky residue on the black trim where the glass meets the door on the outside. Cleans up very easily.
If you are concerned blue painters tape was mentioned earlier somewhere and should leave no marks. Apparently it's strong enough to hold the window up.

Make sure you go along the whole bottom of the window and I always go up behind the side mirror on that vertical piece there. You want to make the tape hold the glass to the black plastic and it shouldn't drop more than a fraction of an inch.
Sweet, thanks
Old 08-17-2012, 03:57 PM
kjr

Ok so I'm on my 2nd window motor now from advanced auto parts. The one I have now is starting to act up..or atleast I think it is. Today I had the windows down and tried to put them back up but the driver side window wouldnt go up. I thought it was a motor issue again so I started to prepare myself to change it again, later in the day I got in the car to drive somewhere (window still down) and tried to get the window to go up again. This time it did. Is this a motor issue still or is something else going on?? Any advice/comments would be most appriciated. Thanks.
Old 08-17-2012, 04:25 PM
bmyles

Yes, that is the brushes in the motor dying. Stop buying motors and do this: https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance...-be-fixed.html
Old 08-17-2012, 07:41 PM
coanan

You can buy reman motors on ebay for 90.00 shipped and get 30.00 back when you send him your old motor provided you didn't brake it. Best way to go.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=160863177472
Old 08-17-2012, 08:17 PM
blAk mAx

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Or u can repair it yourself for less than $5
Old 08-17-2012, 08:56 PM
kjr

Originally Posted by blAk mAx
Or u can repair it yourself for less than $5
How?
Old 08-17-2012, 09:12 PM
Kingeddie

Originally Posted by bmyles
Yes, that is the brushes in the motor dying. Stop buying motors and do this: https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance...-be-fixed.html
how much would you charge me to fix my driver side?

Also anyone know how long does a motor last, new oem from the stealership???? found it for 210$ new.
Old 08-18-2012, 04:39 AM
bmyles

Originally Posted by kjr
How?
Wow man, really? I just posted the link 3 posts up...
Old 08-18-2012, 04:42 AM
bmyles

Originally Posted by Kingeddie
how much would you charge me to fix my driver side?

Also anyone know how long does a motor last, new oem from the stealership???? found it for 210$ new.
Hrrmmm, plane ticket to Jersey + food + beer + time away from home...might not be worth your while, heh. I understand if you don't have the time (took me 4 hours or so because nothing went smoothly), but it's nice to know it will never wear out again.

If you get a new motor, it will last a while, but how many miles do you have? Mine started acting up right after I bought the car at 120k miles.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:34 AM
kjr

Wow man, really? I just posted the link 3 posts up...
I looked at your link and saw the images but there wasnt clear directions on how to change the brushes. I'm not a mechanic and am still new with this car so I need very detailed instructions on how/what I'm supposed to do and not just a general idea of what needs to be done.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:40 AM
Kingeddie

Hrrmmm, plane ticket to Jersey + food + beer + time away from home...might not be worth your while, heh. I understand if you don't have the time (took me 4 hours or so because nothing went smoothly), but it's nice to know it will never wear out again.

If you get a new motor, it will last a while, but how many miles do you have? Mine started acting up right after I bought the car at 120k miles.
Lol no I would pay for shipping both ways lmao!!! That was funny and mines just now at 58k miles.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:54 AM
bmyles

Well, who knows, maybe my window motor was replaced before I owned it. 120k sounds a bit high for these crappy motors.

The only reasonable options are to buy a NEW oem motor or do the brush repair. Buying a refurbished unit is a waste of time and money.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:57 AM
bmyles

Originally Posted by kjr
I looked at your link and saw the images but there wasnt clear directions on how to change the brushes. I'm not a mechanic and am still new with this car so I need very detailed instructions on how/what I'm supposed to do and not just a general idea of what needs to be done.
I thought it was pretty damn straightforward myself. You use a combination of this thread and that thread to do it. Taking apart the door and getting to the motor is pretty easy. The soldering and all that is tedious/annoying. If it's your first time soldering, I would practice.

Last edited by bmyles; 08-18-2012 at 06:59 AM.
Old 08-24-2012, 01:13 PM
Treborlexx

Originally Posted by vo7848
Putting everything back is fairly easy. Having your wife or someone help you hold the panel when reattaching it helps a bit, but you can certainly do it by yourself if need be.

Remember to attach the motor to the back of the panel first, then loosely fasten the two bottom 12mm track nuts next. You can loosely attach the two top track bolts after that, then scew in all the remaining 12 panel bolts. Be careful screwing in the 12 panel bolts. They strip easily.

After the inner door panel was back on, I plugged the switch panel in to test it. Just as I thought, when using the "auto up" feature the window rolled up then half way back down.

All I had to do to fix this was perform the "reset" procedure. I've attached a copy of the reset procedure as thumbnails.

You will need to have access to the reset switch. Here it is...

After I completed the reset procedure. Everything worked just fine. I'm hoping this is a long term fix. Only time will tell now.

I hope you guys enjoyed this tutorial.

That is all, OK I'm finished.....
Hi there! Thanks for posting this! I did exactly what you said on my 2008 350Z and you were right! She smaller brush was fused closed with crap. I used the cleaner like you said and a fine sanding fiber pad to clean it all. The only problem I had was the tape slipped off; but it was easy to lift it up. Thanks again whoever you are!
Old 09-05-2012, 12:23 PM
Kingeddie

Does anybody know how long a new motor last from dealer?
Old 09-05-2012, 07:52 PM
bmyles

A little while, but it's way overpriced.

Quick Reply: How-To Repair Stuck / Broken Window Motor ...