Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

drivetrain problems with no resolve

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2003, 01:21 PM
jim l

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry drivetrain problems with no resolve

I currently leased a 2003 Nissan 350z. The vehicle has less than 1200 miles on it and has seen in excess of 56days in the shop. The car has a whirring noise similar to a gear lash sound. The sound is prominant in 5th & 6th gear at approx 70 mph when you take your foot off the gas. The dealer acknowledges the sound and has changed the transmission, driveshaft and a mount to no avail. This was all done with Nissan factory approval. A factory tech then stated that this is a normal sound but approved the change of the differental under " GOOD WILL". I have owned between 45 and 50 cars and know this is not a normal sound. The last few vehicles I have owned included a Honda Prelude, 99 Corvette Hdtp. Ply Prowler, Dodge Ram truck, Nissan Frontier truck, a Toyota Celica and a Toyota MR2 spyder. None of these new vehicles exhibited any of the noises as described and this is not a normal noise. I contacted Nissan Consumer AFRAUD Dept, Oops Nissan Consumer Affairs Dept and they initially stated they were going to locate me another vehicle. I even offered to take another type of vehicle or a better equipped Z and pay an additional price if they could not find an exact replacement. I took my time to test drive other vehicles in an attempt to resolve the problem. The good willed differental was not ordered or installed because I was going to get a replacement vehicle. Now Nissan Consumer A Fraud Dept says they are going to do NOTHING!!!!!!! No other vehicle, No GOOD WILL Differental as previously stated. I have no complaints or problem with the dealership, Sansone Nissan. They have tried in every way to resolve the problem. The problem is that the Factory and Nissan Consumer Affairs is failing to meet the consumers needs and is failing to acknowledge a problem. This will be my LAST NISSAN PRODUCT. A Consumer Affairs Dept that does not wish to assist the consumer, offers no sense. An identified problem with no resolve and a dont care corporate attitude does not deserve the consumers business.
Old 07-16-2003, 02:29 PM
cobf32

Sounds like it is time to check out the lemon laws in your state!
Nissan may have to replace the car, or refund your money.

Silverstone Performance
Phoenix AZ
Old 07-30-2003, 09:56 AM
optimist07

My transmission was making the exact whirring sound at 2200 rpm in any gear. The dealership replaced the tranny on 7/14. Everything seemed good until i discovered that it's now making the noise at 4200 & 5600 rpm in all gears. Now what, another tranny???
Old 07-30-2003, 08:31 PM
jim l

Default Another tranny

Im sure you purchased your car because if your like me you like the way they look, drive etc. This car could,or should be a great car. Mine though, should have came with a bus schedule. Good luck with your problem. Im in the process of lemon lawing mine.
Old 07-31-2003, 06:03 AM
AndyB

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Gear lash

Gear lash sound could be coming from the rear differential.

I could easily imagine the Z being more prone to gear sounds because of the carbon fiber drive shaft.
Old 07-31-2003, 07:45 PM
jim l

Andy, My first thought was that the noise was coming from the rear but Nissan said they believed it was from the trans. Then they acknowledged the noise in the rear and were going to Good-Will a new one. Now as initially stated they are doing nothing. I was unaware that this driveshaft could possibly transfer more noise than normally heard. Interesting, Jim L
Old 08-12-2003, 07:18 PM
jim l

Just an update . Proceeding with NJ Lemon Law.
Old 09-01-2003, 10:04 AM
jim l

Its funny that after Nissan received the Lemon Law request they took a look at my car again. They did not inform the dealer the results of their find so thats still unknown. Noise is getting louder.
Old 09-01-2003, 05:03 PM
azaz

Keep us updated Jim. I have the same whining noise at 70 mph and above. It gets louder the faster you go. But you can only hear it when you are trying to maintain a certain speed and especially with the cruise on.
I do believe it is the ring and pinion in the rear end. I don't have the time to pursue it and I don't drive on the interstate that much so it doesn't do it all the time. But I am very interested in finding out what the problem is.
Old 09-27-2003, 09:53 PM
jim l

Thumbs down

As NJ Lemon law requires I sent them another letter. they are required to respond within 10 days. On or around the 12th day I called them and told them that they failed to respond. They set up an appointment with the service tech and again nothing was said. I called Nissan Consumer affairs back because they never notified me of their find. Consumer affairs said the tech said its a normal noise. I laughed again and said I hope to see you people in court. This is a normal noise for a field car or a junk. The case is being presented to N.J consumer affairs. I`m currently waiting for their review. To anyone who reads this if you have a problem and it boarders on the Lemon Law, proceed formally. Dont be a nice guy as I tried to be its a waste of time. I will never buy another Nissan product because of this and I am a 5 time,new Nissan owner.
Old 09-27-2003, 11:44 PM
Dissolved

I'm going to disagree with everyone here and say it's no big deal Jim. I have owned and driven several cars as well. From Zs to fbodys. All exhibited some whine. I think you may be looking for things wrong with the car . I know I'm guilty of it I had to really tell myself to stop being **** though. I have my share of problems too, but I look past them. Especially when I find out other owners have them. Your car spent 56 days in the shop due to a noise you think is abnormal. Not because it's a lemon.

Commend your dealer for doing everything in their power. I really do wish you good luck, but I think your Z is just fine.

Last edited by Dissolved; 09-27-2003 at 11:50 PM.
Old 09-28-2003, 09:18 AM
takes12no1z

Default You picky guy you

When your going 70 on the freeway and your rear end locks up, you swerve off the road killing your (insert blond accessory), and a small family from a head on crash, please remember that your just being picky.

I mean after all, everyone knows that machines never make unusual noises before failing. Right?
Old 09-28-2003, 09:51 AM
Dissolved

Default Re: You picky guy you

Originally posted by takes12no1z
When your going 70 on the freeway and your rear end locks up, you swerve off the road killing your (insert blond accessory), and a small family from a head on crash, please remember that your just being picky.

I mean after all, everyone knows that machines never make unusual noises before failing. Right?

lol. uh..yea. Obviously you have no idea what you're talking about. Even if it is the ring and pinion not aligned correctly (which it isnt), it will not cause the rear to lock up. It will cause premature wear. When a rear is about to fail in a street car it will not be a little whine at only 70mph
Old 10-03-2003, 09:51 PM
jim l

My reply for being pickey. New Car, My Money, + Noise = Problem.
The other ones I drove didnt have any noise. Sansone Nissan in N.J. a thumbs up. They tried to resolve the problem which NNA was starting to do then changed their mind. Lemon in NJ is 20 days out of service. My 74 VW Thing which has over 200,000 miles on it doesnt have this noise, go figure.
Old 10-05-2003, 06:55 PM
Superfly84zx

Sad to hear your story Jim...Nothing worse than fighting a faceless corporation. Good luck and let us know what the final outcome is...maybe in 2005 you'll try Nissan again??? Probably not though eh?....
Old 11-28-2003, 03:02 PM
jim l

To had light on this story I went to court with Nissan and went infront of an arbitration judge. I reached an agreement with Nissan in which they are replacing the rear, painting my bird damaged hood, giving me $50 Lemon law filing fee, giving me 2 month payments, a loaner car and to have everything done within a 30 day time period. There was no judge ruling on this case. The car did not go Lemon Law yet. I emphasize yet because its been about 15 days and I havent heard from Nissan and this does not prohibit me from going to court again. I still dont get it. It cost them their lawyer fees,tech representative pay and my payments to do something they had initially agreed to do in the first place. No more Nissans for me. Should have kept my Toyota.

Last edited by jim l; 11-28-2003 at 03:08 PM.