Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

headlight plastic shows "stress cracks"

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2003, 08:01 AM
MacGyver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys should take a look at similar topics on the S board. After a couple of years we haven't come to a reasoable conclusion as to its cause, either.

As with you guys, it was originally thought to be the 3M protectant sheets, but when some started showing up with cracks who did NOT use the sheets, well, that threw THAT idea out the window. However, I think it's a reasonable conclusion to say the sheets DO speed the process (and not just the 3M stuff).

I'm a prime example...I've owned my S for over 3 years now, and for having over 63k miles in New England weather on her , she's in great shape. About a year ago, a fellow owner tinted his headlights and taillights with static cling window tint. It looked great. His was on there a few months already, so I decided to do mine. He pulls the tint off of his headlights to wash and noticed the hairline cracks. He posted about it, but I figured he was just one of the unlucky souls...until I checked mine. The tint had been on my headlights for no more than about 2 weeks, but they were as cracked as anyone else's. It seems as if ANY sort of covering will accelerate the process.

We still bandie about ideas, but without a chem lab to check it out, we will probably never come to a sane conclusion. It could be the heat created by the HID...turn one on, hold your hand over the headlight assembly, and it will warm up within 10-15 seconds...that's fast. But you guys have now seen examples on the base model without HIDs that have cracked. It could be solvents, the stuff people wash their cars with...but most of us are **** about what we use to clean our cars with, so I doubt that's it, either.

<shrug> I can't help you other than to say "You're not alone".
Old 11-08-2003, 07:20 PM
se-ex

on a few foglights I installed the paint protection film on(such as IS300 lexus), the customer came back to me after a yr and his lenses had the same 'crack' lines as the Z's headlights. After the film was removed, the crack lines was evidently all over the film AND the foglights like it was about to shatter!!! That's why we don't like to promote headlight/foglight protection even though it would be extra revenue. In addtions, I've been installing the film for over 4yrs now and haven't seen a broken lense without the film. I've no concrete evidence on the cause of the crack lines, and have gotten no concrete answers
Old 11-10-2003, 02:57 PM
corsair

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow. I have not seen any cracks on my lights as of yet. I rarely drive at night so my lights are hardly ever turned on. i'll be keeping a close eye on my lights after reading this thread.
Old 11-11-2003, 04:03 PM
whosdady

Originally posted by se-ex
on a few foglights I installed the paint protection film on(such as IS300 lexus), the customer came back to me after a yr and his lenses had the same 'crack' lines as the Z's headlights. After the film was removed, the crack lines was evidently all over the film AND the foglights like it was about to shatter!!! That's why we don't like to promote headlight/foglight protection even though it would be extra revenue. In addtions, I've been installing the film for over 4yrs now and haven't seen a broken lense without the film. I've no concrete evidence on the cause of the crack lines, and have gotten no concrete answers
What brand of headlight film protection did you use? I have seen cracks on cars that don't use this protection. It is therefore obviously not corralated. I have also seen headlights that have the film protection and only one of the headlights had the problem, thus proving this point even further.
Old 11-12-2003, 06:06 PM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

Originally posted by whosdady
What brand of headlight film protection did you use? I have seen cracks on cars that don't use this protection. It is therefore obviously not corralated. I have also seen headlights that have the film protection and only one of the headlights had the problem, thus proving this point even further.
I've got 3M on my headlights, and have a slight bit of cracking on only one light in the corner.
Old 11-12-2003, 06:27 PM
whosdady

Where is the TSB for this?

(I know there is not one out yet I am wondering when they will have one)
Old 01-04-2004, 04:42 PM
Apexi350z
Charter Member #50

I don't think there is a TSB out for this, but I am planning to take my car in this Friday to have them take a look... Hopefully I'll get some replacements..
Old 01-05-2004, 06:41 PM
johnsZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi to all
This is a problem related to the plastic and the materials flow during forming. These cracks are strain-induced, and also in part, a reaction of the plastic to ultraviolet light, vibration, strain from the screws and expansion/contraction of the light frame. It has nothing to do with the film or other rubbish that the dealer might foist on you.

This will eventually happen to all of our headlights. Pity.

If you want to see a company that really missed the boat on plastic stability- check out any 6 to 8 year old Ford or Volvo headlight assembly.
Old 01-13-2004, 06:14 AM
cal_z

i have 3m bra with headlight protection on the lights and have not noticed the lens cracking! This is new to me. I know the film is thicker on the lights than on the paint. I am so glad i put this stuff on because of the paint is so weak. Let's face it, WHAT WILL HOLD UP AT 150MPH? I ride bikes, and if you stick your hand in the wind at that speed, the force is unreal. The smallest of debrees stings.

calvin
Old 12-16-2004, 08:02 PM
lgbdog1

Mine have the problem... REALLY bad too. My headlights are COVERED in cracks... I'd say 5x as bad as the worst picture someone posted. I have 50k miles and I'm beginning to get very happy that I have that extended warranty... Crossing my fingers they cover this.

Oh and I don't have any kind of film over the lights just to let you guys know.

Anyone else have any new info on the problem?
Old 07-15-2005, 09:59 AM
DrVolkl

Is there any resolution to this matter?

I have the cracks REALLY BAD on my passenger side headlight, and only like 1 or two tiny ones on my drivers headlight. There is definitely something weird going on here.

I'm going to the dealership over lunch today to ask them to replace at least the passenger side light.

If there's a TSB, please let me know, because I'd like to have it in hand.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:54 PM
DrVolkl

Went in today...and although there is no TSB and the service guy said he'd never seen that before, they're going to replace BOTH headlights. Sweet.
Old 07-16-2005, 03:04 PM
cracka350z

im in on this cracking ********...but will they cover it if im over the 36k mark? they damn well better or im gonna raise some hell...b/c its nasty lookin on my car. i got numerous cracks all over it....look like stress cracks. a few are b/c of rocks...dont care about those...thats normal...just the ones by the corners and ****. its annoying