Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Window drop and Return

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2003, 06:12 AM
dbx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window drop and Return

I have read a bunch of posts concerning windows not dropping when the door is opened but my problem is the window returning to the sealed position after the door is closed. This almost always happens when the car is heated up outside, in the sun or hot weather. Dealer is not acknowledging. I have had my car sitting there for two days and they say it hasn't happened. Anyone else with this problem or a fix. I am going to get burned bad on some rainy day when that sucker stays open a crack.
dbx
Old 07-27-2003, 07:32 PM
jackwhale

you can test the window movement with the door open by pushing the switch in the door jam. The window will go up and down with no resistance from the rubber molding.

My passenger window sometimes goes all the way up and then drops down about half way. It only does this with the 'automatic' closing...if I hold the switch, the window closes as it should. I asked the dealer, and he attributed this to 'stickiness of the rubber molding in hot weather'. He advised that I keep the rubber clean. When I got home I discovered that it malfunctioned with the door open.

I think that it is just an adjustment in the mechanism.
Old 07-27-2003, 08:06 PM
dbx

They still have my car but have finally gotten the"sympton to occur".
Duh! Happens to me every day.
Their fix? They are replacing the entire window motor in an attempt at good cutsumer service. I will ask them about the molding in the hot weather having an effect.
But my queation to you is: "How exactly and where do you keep the molding clean.
Thanks

dbx
Old 07-27-2003, 08:15 PM
jackwhale

I had just intended to wash the car and pay attention that no tree dripping was on the rubber. After I discovered that his suggestion had nothing to do with my problem, I guess I forgot about it.

I don't think that the motor needs replacing. There must be some adjustment that determines when window is fully closed or fully open.
Old 07-27-2003, 08:54 PM
dbx

I concur. I think replacing the motor is lazy overkill and I will be dealing with this issue again. In the mean time, I am driving around in a four door automatic Sentra.
I hope they impress me . . .
dbx