Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Car shakes after oil change?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 03:12 PM
TheOtherRob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car shakes after oil change?

I changed the oil in my car today from gtx to m1 0-40. And now the car shakes, and the rpms keep dropping down really low to almost stall the car. I can even feel shakes on the highway. I need some answers fast if anyone has had the problem before. The car is an 08 with 9300 miles, 6 speed. And the car is still full of oil and no leaks are visible. Ill change the oil if something is figured out in the next 15 mins.
Old 08-08-2008, 03:54 PM
TreeFiddyZee
Do WHAAAAT!?

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds pretty weird. How many quarts did you put in? I assume you also changed the filter? Did you check the dipstick to make sure you aren't losing what you put in?

edit: Man. I didn't read very carefully. Doh!

Last edited by TreeFiddyZee; 08-08-2008 at 05:58 PM.
Old 08-08-2008, 05:34 PM
roast

Full of oil? You mean like filled to the top, right?
Old 08-08-2008, 06:25 PM
robertinmesa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is it shaking at all speeds or only at certain speeds?
Old 08-08-2008, 06:36 PM
Allshow

that sounds really wierd specially after an oil change did you do it at the dealerships or quick lube. if you did it at the dealership they might of disconnected something in the engine bay when they were doing there inspection of the car.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:42 PM
TheOtherRob

Ok guys, I made it home for an update.

Ill start from the beginning since my last post was probably not clear since I was so pissed that my car may have had a serious issue.

Ok, I have been using Castrol GTX since the first oil change. I do all my oil changes myself. Every time I change my oil I replace the filter (K&N) and I also change the copper plug washer. So after hours of reading oil threads I decided to try the Euro formula M1 0-40w. After changing the oil (I let the car drain well over 30 mins to insure all the dino oil was out) I filled it to about half way on the dip stick (around 5.5 quarts as I usually do). Then I started the car, no leaks, sounded fine. I drive to my g/f's house (40 miles away) and about half way there I feel a jerking coming from the motor. I would push in the clutch to insure that it was indeed the motor and not road imperfections. So I come to a stop light and the rpms start falling down into the low 300-250 area and the car starts to get shaky like it is going to stall. So every light I came to I held my foot on the accelerator to keep the rpms up. By the time I reached her house the car would violently shake when changing gears. I then posted this thread for responses, I didnt get anything quick so I went and bought M1 10-30 and changed it again. Now, everything has run smooth since Ive gotten home. I have no clue as to why this happened. I will admit that about 10 miles from leaving the house I got on it in the onramp to 70 mph (The legal speed limit) and even for the next 15 miles it was fine, so I dont think that had something to do with it. And, if the car was in limp mode, why wouldnt the car still shake after the new 10-30 oil without resetting the ecu? Im completely stumped.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:20 PM
TreeFiddyZee
Do WHAAAAT!?

I definitely found one glaring problem. You're using too much oil. The max capacity WITH filter change is 5 quarts. If you're using 5.5 quarts you're overfilling which is not a good thing. The oil gets up in the cam and can get foamed up which can cause a lot of issues. I'm going to take a wild guess and say if you change it and only use 5 quarts, you're problem should go away. I wouldn't just drain a little. Empty it again and refill with 5 quarts. I you don't change the filter, only use 4.5 quarts. Never use 5.5 quarts. Bad news.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:57 PM
TheOtherRob

Hmmm... Well evertime I use 5 quarts, it always looks alittle low. Even after driving 40 miles, the dip stick only read half. And I filled it to half again, and no problems... Weird. Im going to check the level in the morning and see what it is at now. The book says 5 1/8 quarts, so I usually buy 6 quarts and just keep adding a little until it sits around half. And that is after letting it run, then cool to insure the correct amount. So I guess 5.5 wasnt the right thing to say, maybe filling it to the dip stick is more accurate. Still even after refilling the oil the same exact way, and not receiving any problems? The engine light also came out during the shaking process, forgot to mention that.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:07 PM
06dieselZ

What do you mean half way on the dipstick?
Half way between L and H?
Old 08-09-2008, 05:18 AM
Lento

I got mine changed at the dealership, and brought in 5 quarts of Mobil 1 5W30, and I was currently running Nissans generic synthetic oil untill this point. I have noticed my car has been shaking violently at idle.

I looked up the specs the other day in the manual for an 07 engine, and it says with the filter changed you can put in 5.3 quarts I believe.

May be different for the different engines though
Old 08-09-2008, 05:21 AM
TreeFiddyZee
Do WHAAAAT!?

Originally Posted by Lento
I got mine changed at the dealership, and brought in 5 quarts of Mobil 1 5W30, and I was currently running Nissans generic synthetic oil untill this point. I have noticed my car has been shaking violently at idle.

I looked up the specs the other day in the manual for an 07 engine, and it says with the filter changed you can put in 5.3 quarts I believe.

May be different for the different engines though
The new ones must take more. I've got an '05, so the new ones must take a little more.

edit: I just checked the '07 manual and it is 5 1/8 quarts. Kind of 5 quarts "and a splash". 1/8 quart = 1/2 cup, so if you're familiar with cooking measurements, you know that's not much.

Last edited by TreeFiddyZee; 08-09-2008 at 05:34 AM.
Old 08-09-2008, 05:44 AM
blastoff99

My 07 manual does give a maximum capacity of 5-1/8 quarts, but also says "5 quarts recommended."

5.5 is too much no matter how we look at it.
Old 08-09-2008, 07:14 AM
cheshirecat79

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This sounds exactly like oil overfill to me. I've seen a couple of people have this exact issue... it's rare, but it's happened.

I would drain a bit out and see where that gets you.
Old 08-09-2008, 07:38 AM
TreeFiddyZee
Do WHAAAAT!?

It's better to drain it all out and start over. When the oil foams, it gets a lot of air in the system and draining a little doesn't get rid of that.
Old 08-09-2008, 07:52 AM
TheOtherRob

Like I said before, the car is running fine now. I guess I did put alittle too much. I guess from now on Ill go by measurements instead of the dip stick.

And to answer the question above. Yes, I usually fill it between L and H. I havent had any problems until now doing it, but I wont from now on, even if it sits on L and I know I got 5 1/8 quarts in it Im not going to add anymore.
Old 08-09-2008, 07:53 AM
TheOtherRob

Originally Posted by cheshirecat79
This sounds exactly like oil overfill to me. I've seen a couple of people have this exact issue... it's rare, but it's happened.

I would drain a bit out and see where that gets you.
Whats up ROB!

I picked up that Bug B Gone stuff, WOW. Your are correct sir, that stuff is incredible.
Old 08-09-2008, 07:57 AM
tractng

Originally Posted by silverstripes
I changed the oil in my car today from gtx to m1 0-40. And now the car shakes, and the rpms keep dropping down really low to almost stall the car. I can even feel shakes on the highway. I need some answers fast if anyone has had the problem before. The car is an 08 with 9300 miles, 6 speed. And the car is still full of oil and no leaks are visible. Ill change the oil if something is figured out in the next 15 mins.

Old 08-09-2008, 08:00 AM
TheOtherRob

Originally Posted by tractng

What was the point of quoting my whole post?
Old 08-09-2008, 09:29 AM
TheOtherRob

Well I just checked the level, and everything looks fine. Just under the middle and the car started up fine and I let it run about 10 mins and no shaking or anything.
Old 08-09-2008, 10:42 AM
PhiSig
Wheel Whore

Nice, glad to see its all worked out, if you liked running the GTX, may I sugest the German Castrol 0w-30, I switched over from m1 0w-40. Harder to find than M1, but I really like it a lot. The used oil analysis looks great on it.

Also, i dunno what filter the new HR motors take, but with the original and rev up's, we can run a little larger size filter that stock, same ones used on the 4.0 v6 nissan trucks. Do some searching you'll find the size.

Quick Reply: Car shakes after oil change?