Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

People who DIY service - no service record

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 06:51 PM
CKY881
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default People who DIY service - no service record

When people buy cars, they generally ask for service record. But what if you DIY all your services? What do you do when buyer asks you top present service record?
Old 08-09-2008, 06:54 PM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate
Premier Member

Received 1,028 Likes on 785 Posts

you dont sell your car cause youve put too much time, effort, blood and money into it.
Old 08-09-2008, 07:02 PM
neverseen

You tell them you did it yourself...

I also keep receipts for big things that i do, like brakes and such. Just in case. I've never kept a record of anything, I've never asked for a record, and I've never been quired for one.
Old 08-09-2008, 11:36 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I keep track of DIY services by putting a date and miles in the maintenance book.
Old 08-10-2008, 05:30 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

If you do all maintenance yourself and don't keep records, you're setting yourself up for a major screwing. If your car is under warranty and you bring it in for an engine problem, if you can't prove that you've changed the oil regularly, I can almost guarantee that any warranty claim will be denied.
Old 08-10-2008, 10:15 AM
roast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
If you do all maintenance yourself and don't keep records, you're setting yourself up for a major screwing. If your car is under warranty and you bring it in for an engine problem, if you can't prove that you've changed the oil regularly, I can almost guarantee that any warranty claim will be denied.
No, I'll tell you what is a major screwing. Having to rely on shady dealerships for service...

If your car is under warranty, it's under warranty. There is no clause that states your warranty is voided if you service your own car (not that I know of). Talk about a service manager trying to get his head ripped off.

The burden of proof does not fall on the owner, and anyone who allows that to happen is a shmuck. I can type up a service history in 10 minutes. That doesn't prove anything.
Old 08-10-2008, 11:02 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by roast
No, I'll tell you what is a major screwing. Having to rely on shady dealerships for service...

If your car is under warranty, it's under warranty. There is no clause that states your warranty is voided if you service your own car (not that I know of). Talk about a service manager trying to get his head ripped off.

The burden of proof does not fall on the owner, and anyone who allows that to happen is a shmuck. I can type up a service history in 10 minutes. That doesn't prove anything.
Have you actually looked at your Warranty Manual so you would know what you were talking about? Here, let me make it easy for you....
MAINTENANCE AND RECORDS
As a condition of this warranty, you are responsible for properly
using, maintaining and caring for your vehicle as outlined in your
OWNER’S MANUAL and your NISSAN SERVICE & MAINTENANCE
GUIDE, and maintaining copies of all maintenance
records & receipts for review by Nissan. Failure to do so is likely
to result in the denial of warranty coverage.
Evidence of the performance of the required maintenance
should be kept and presented as proof of such maintenance in
connection with related warranty repairs. To assist you in
maintaining appropriate records, the maintenance log located
in your NISSAN SERVICE & MAINTENANCE GUIDE can be
used along with supporting repair invoices, receipts and other
such records.
There is nothing in the warranty that states or implies that you will be denied service if you DIY. You must prove that it was done, i.e. have receipts for oil, lube, parts, etc.

I'm sure if you show up with a simple typed list of alleged service records, they'd laugh in your face.
Old 08-10-2008, 11:56 AM
roast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you actually looked at your Warranty Manual so you would know what you were talking about? Here, let me make it easy for you....
MAINTENANCE AND RECORDS
As a condition of this warranty, you are responsible for properly
using, maintaining and caring for your vehicle as outlined in your
OWNER’S MANUAL and your NISSAN SERVICE & MAINTENANCE
GUIDE, and maintaining copies of all maintenance
records & receipts for review by Nissan. Failure to do so is likely
to result in the denial of warranty coverage.
Evidence of the performance of the required maintenance
should be kept and presented as proof of such maintenance in
connection with related warranty repairs. To assist you in
maintaining appropriate records, the maintenance log located
in your NISSAN SERVICE & MAINTENANCE GUIDE can be
used along with supporting repair invoices, receipts and other
such records.
There is nothing in the warranty that states or implies that you will be denied service if you DIY. You must prove that it was done, i.e. have receipts for oil, lube, parts, etc.

I'm sure if you show up with a simple typed list of alleged service records, they'd laugh in your face.
They wouldn't be laughing for long.... at least that was the case with the last service monkey who thought it would be a good idea to laugh in my face.....

"and maintaining copies of all maintenance
records & receipts for review by Nissan."

If you don't have the maintenance done by a shop, you're not going to have a record & receipt of the work. A receipt of materials proves nothing.

I order a lot of my stuff online, as I'm sure a lot of people do. You won't have a receipt for that. You can print something off, which could be easily fabricated. (which was originally my point).

As I said originally... the burden of proof does not fall on the owner unless the damage is obviously negligence.
Old 08-10-2008, 12:55 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

They wouldn't be laughing for long.... at least that was the case with the last service monkey who thought it would be a good idea to laugh in my face..... .
Right, that will convince the service manager to see it your way

I order a lot of my stuff online, as I'm sure a lot of people do. You won't have a receipt for that.
You must not be dealing with reputable places or your not actually paying for it. I've got a file full of stuff for aftermarket parts. Everthing comes with a receipt or packing list.

The bottom line is that if you go to Wal-mart, Autozone, Pepboys or anyplace that sells motor oil, you're going to walk out with a receipt for it.
Old 08-10-2008, 01:51 PM
CKY881
Banned

Like roast said, people who DIY service can simply write a service history and say i did this on time but i could just be making up dates... What im trying to understand is HOW I can make the dealership/car buyer believe that it was indeed done on time, perhaps provide an alternative evidence other than a receipt/invoice. And honestly, if i was a car buyer buying a car that was all DIY serviced, I would think twice before buying it for many reasons: 1.) I dont trust anyone who is not a professional at this. I mean, there could be something wrong with the DIY, 2.) Again with making up the DIY service history, what if it's not done on time?
Old 08-10-2008, 03:43 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

The only pertinent DIY service is oil, tranny, diff, coolant change. Those are the only things required by the warranty as regularly scheduled items. A list of "I did this on this date" will be meaningless. As you point out, anybody can fake one. That's why a dealer won't accept it. You have to have receipts for the oil, lub, anti-freeze. You strengthen your case by filling out a written record of what was done, where, when and by who. If they jive with your purchases, you have no problems.

Face it, the need is probably going to be rare at best. How often does something major in the engine fail or the tranny die? Obviously if it does, you don't want to be un-documented.

Believe me, there have been several threads started here over the last couple of years by people who either had warranty work denied or difficulty in obtaining it because of the lack of documentation. I recall one guy who got totally screwed because he bought a used Z, then had problems with it. The previous owner provided no records and the dealer couldn't find in the Nissan system where anything had been done to it. Sans proof, the warranty is void.
Old 08-10-2008, 05:53 PM
CKY881
Banned

The only pertinent DIY service is oil, tranny, diff, coolant change. Those are the only things required by the warranty as regularly scheduled items. A list of "I did this on this date" will be meaningless. As you point out, anybody can fake one. That's why a dealer won't accept it. You have to have receipts for the oil, lub, anti-freeze. You strengthen your case by filling out a written record of what was done, where, when and by who. If they jive with your purchases, you have no problems.

Face it, the need is probably going to be rare at best. How often does something major in the engine fail or the tranny die? Obviously if it does, you don't want to be un-documented.

Believe me, there have been several threads started here over the last couple of years by people who either had warranty work denied or difficulty in obtaining it because of the lack of documentation. I recall one guy who got totally screwed because he bought a used Z, then had problems with it. The previous owner provided no records and the dealer couldn't find in the Nissan system where anything had been done to it. Sans proof, the warranty is void.

So Dave, are you warning me to not DIY service work?
Old 08-10-2008, 06:00 PM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

The way i see it, i do my oil changes myself along with every other thing....Ive never cared much for warranty because i bought this car to beat the **** out of it....I track the car quire often........plus im many many miles and track days past my warranty!

i blow an engine or tranny i will buy another and do the same thing all over again. so for me....record smeckord....i service the Z and roll on. Ive found working engines for 750, trannies for less, just gotta know where to look...

- J
Old 08-11-2008, 03:05 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by wasiu0607
So Dave, are you warning me to not DIY service work?
Absolutely not. My point all along is that if you are going to DIY, make sure you have a realistic record that proves you performed the required normal maintenance. If the rare case arises where you do need warranty work, you've got the documentation ready to defend any claims by the dealer or NNA that you didn't maintain it.

Plus if you ever have to sell your car, you have the added benefit of demonstrating to a potential buyer that you took good care of it.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:49 AM
CKY881
Banned

Absolutely not. My point all along is that if you are going to DIY, make sure you have a realistic record that proves you performed the required normal maintenance. If the rare case arises where you do need warranty work, you've got the documentation ready to defend any claims by the dealer or NNA that you didn't maintain it.

Plus if you ever have to sell your car, you have the added benefit of demonstrating to a potential buyer that you took good care of it.

But what kind of realistic record could i give?
Old 08-11-2008, 09:31 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Copies of receipts + completed service log book.