Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Magnetic Drain Plug for Transmission: useless, or a good idea?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 09:47 PM
blackfairlady

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Magnetic Drain Plug for Transmission: useless, or a good idea?

I have a magnetic oil pan drain plug for the motor, obviously one for the rear diff, but I was wondering today if it would be a good idea to get one for the tranny.

I looked at the diagram below of the transmission. It's quite complicated, but in the middle of that mess, #32102 is a magnet. Obviously, not accessible from the outside of the tranny. Someone care to explain to me the function of this part?

http://www.courtesyparts.com/betasit...5_778_792.html

Does the transmission even have ferrous metals in it that would attach to a magnet?
Old 08-19-2008, 10:43 PM
ssgohan434

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are magnetic drain plugs for the oil pan, or for anything at all, considered to be effective? Never read any good things or bad things about, infact I've never seen them mentioned on here before.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:52 PM
blackfairlady

Originally Posted by ssgohan434
Are magnetic drain plugs for the oil pan, or for anything at all, considered to be effective? Never read any good things or bad things about, infact I've never seen them mentioned on here before.
Most people don't intend on keeping their cars as long as I do, so these type of little things aren't covered on boards a lot, especially boards discussing newer vehicles.

They are cheap insurance against metal filings floating around in the oil. Of course, your engine shouldn't have ample amounts of these. The differential doesn't have a filter for the fluid; therefore, we have a magnetic plug to catch anything.

The reason for this thread is because the tranny, after all, does not have a filter either. So, is a drain plug a good idea? Will I even be able to find one? Or, is there a (permanent) magnet already installed within?
Old 08-20-2008, 07:28 AM
blackfairlady

bump
Old 08-20-2008, 09:50 AM
ALO8

you mentioned you have an oil and differential magnet? Where would i be able to purchase a differential one, and is it easy to install?
Old 08-20-2008, 11:39 AM
urbancamoM7

i changed my diff fluid about a month ago and mine already had a magnetic plug. i just assumed it was that way from the factory.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:50 PM
blackfairlady

Originally Posted by xxxlino
you mentioned you have an oil and differential magnet? Where would i be able to purchase a differential one, and is it easy to install?

You've got one! From the factory.

The motor oil one I purchased from Enjuku Racing.

Last edited by blackfairlady; 08-20-2008 at 05:04 PM.
Old 08-20-2008, 05:04 PM
blackfairlady

I was told today from one of the managers of a local parts store that a magnetic plug for the transmission would be relatively pointless. A magnetic plug is more useful for the motor because it helps keep the oil pump free of small metal shards. The trans does not have such a pump. He said to just keep the fluid changed at the recommended intervals, with quality fluid. He said that I would be hard pressed finding the size of the Nissan transmission drain plug in a magnetic version. Apparently it's not really metric, but a standard hose thread?? Idk...

Interesting because the trans is similar to the diff, and if our diff comes with a magnetic plug, why doesn't our trans, and why wouldn't it be a good idea to get one for it? Regardless, the guy I talked to put up a good argument, so I opted against it.
Old 08-20-2008, 05:06 PM
blackfairlady

Motor oil plug I purchased:

Last edited by blackfairlady; 08-20-2008 at 05:09 PM.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:44 PM
pmohr

Originally Posted by blackfairlady
I was told today from one of the managers of a local parts store that a magnetic plug for the transmission would be relatively pointless. A magnetic plug is more useful for the motor because it helps keep the oil pump free of small metal shards. The trans does not have such a pump. He said to just keep the fluid changed at the recommended intervals, with quality fluid. He said that I would be hard pressed finding the size of the Nissan transmission drain plug in a magnetic version. Apparently it's not really metric, but a standard hose thread?? Idk...

Interesting because the trans is similar to the diff, and if our diff comes with a magnetic plug, why doesn't our trans, and why wouldn't it be a good idea to get one for it? Regardless, the guy I talked to put up a good argument, so I opted against it.
I believe the diff and trans drain plugs are the same size/thread pitch, so you could always try installing a diff drain plug in the trans if you really want a magnetic drain plug.

Not quite sure if there's enough clearance directly above the drain plug for the extra ~3/4" the magnetic tip adds (never paid attention to that, really), but the PN is 32103-4N200, $6.76 @ Courtesy. Cheap enough to be worth a shot.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:29 PM
blackfairlady

Originally Posted by pmohr@Altered
I believe the diff and trans drain plugs are the same size/thread pitch, so you could always try installing a diff drain plug in the trans if you really want a magnetic drain plug.

Not quite sure if there's enough clearance directly above the drain plug for the extra ~3/4" the magnetic tip adds (never paid attention to that, really), but the PN is 32103-4N200, $6.76 @ Courtesy. Cheap enough to be worth a shot.
Thank you sir.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:44 PM
350ZTheStandard

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

subscribing for more info
Old 10-22-2008, 08:20 PM
blackfairlady

I still haven't gotten a good answer about this. I PMed Sharif@Forged tonight about it. I'm thinking he'd give a solid response to this.

I included in the PM the concern about the magnetic tip protruding out of the drain plug (possibly interfering with trans components). I also asked what size the plug is.
Old 10-22-2008, 08:46 PM
J. Dub

I agree, coming from an RSX that I had for some time. I used a magnetic drain bolt in the tranny. Never came across any metal shavings. HOWEVER, I changed out my tranny fluid every 10k miles with amsoil due to our 3rd gears popping out in our trannies... New fresh fluid assisted with this pop out.
My two cents, don't worry about it. IF you continue to worry about it. Then I do suggest getting it so you can sleep better.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:13 PM
blackfairlady

Originally Posted by J. Dub
I agree, coming from an RSX that I had for some time. I used a magnetic drain bolt in the tranny. Never came across any metal shavings. HOWEVER, I changed out my tranny fluid every 10k miles with amsoil due to our 3rd gears popping out in our trannies... New fresh fluid assisted with this pop out.
My two cents, don't worry about it. IF you continue to worry about it. Then I do suggest getting it so you can sleep better.
Excellent. Someone who gets me. haha

I think my concerns are pretty valid, and deserve some consideration. I also think there are many other owners who plan to keep this car for the long haul who would benefit from / appreciate this type of information.

[Prepare for a novel, I apologize]

I change my trans fluid with Amsoil on the Z every 20,000, so I'm sure I'm okay without a magnetic plug. It's just the idea of particles and shavings floating around during that 20,000 miles that makes me second guess Nissan not providing one for us, regardless of the fact that 20k is not a lot of time for anything significant to accumulate in there.

I spoke to someone who works at a local parts store (i know, I usually don't trust them either), but he said as long as I keep up with the frequent fluid changes that I'll be just fine.

I'd probably pick one up for the next time I change the fluid if I just knew the size and if that cylindrical magnet will interfere.

I have an 'AutoZone special' magnetic plug with size M14 x 1.5. I used to use it for the motor, but didn't like the level of magnetism it provided. Pretty weak, if you ask me. I'm just wondering if I should plan on ordering a stronger one, or if that weak one would actually work alright for the trans. I guess it would be one of those deals where I have something I already bought so I may as well install it and not pay money for something that kind of seems unnecessary in the first place.

My issue is that there are other auto manufacturers who put factory magnetic drain plugs in their transmissions...why not Nissan?

Last points:

- As mentioned in post #1, we've got a magnet in the tranny. How the heck am I supposed to clean the shavings off if it's way the heck up in there?
- This design also reminds me of our fuel filters. Maintenance free, huh? What about all the crud that builds up over the years? Just let it sit in there? Where does it go?

Last edited by blackfairlady; 10-22-2008 at 09:16 PM.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:24 AM
J. Dub

Excellent. Someone who gets me. haha

I think my concerns are pretty valid, and deserve some consideration. I also think there are many other owners who plan to keep this car for the long haul who would benefit from / appreciate this type of information.

[Prepare for a novel, I apologize]

I change my trans fluid with Amsoil on the Z every 20,000, so I'm sure I'm okay without a magnetic plug. It's just the idea of particles and shavings floating around during that 20,000 miles that makes me second guess Nissan not providing one for us, regardless of the fact that 20k is not a lot of time for anything significant to accumulate in there.

I spoke to someone who works at a local parts store (i know, I usually don't trust them either), but he said as long as I keep up with the frequent fluid changes that I'll be just fine.

I'd probably pick one up for the next time I change the fluid if I just knew the size and if that cylindrical magnet will interfere.

I have an 'AutoZone special' magnetic plug with size M14 x 1.5. I used to use it for the motor, but didn't like the level of magnetism it provided. Pretty weak, if you ask me. I'm just wondering if I should plan on ordering a stronger one, or if that weak one would actually work alright for the trans. I guess it would be one of those deals where I have something I already bought so I may as well install it and not pay money for something that kind of seems unnecessary in the first place.

My issue is that there are other auto manufacturers who put factory magnetic drain plugs in their transmissions...why not Nissan?

Last points:

- As mentioned in post #1, we've got a magnet in the tranny. How the heck am I supposed to clean the shavings off if it's way the heck up in there?
- This design also reminds me of our fuel filters. Maintenance free, huh? What about all the crud that builds up over the years? Just let it sit in there? Where does it go?

Hahaha, yea I feel ya. Well the last couple of questions I can't really answer in a technical way but I can break it down like this from a business perspective... If you had the means to build the ultimate product that would require no repair (notice I didn't say no maintenance) would you build it? Well most would say no. Reason being... When stuff breaks (IE: tranny, engine, ect...) someone, somewhere will have to buy a new part to fix that issue. Whether it be the 3rd owner of said car, or 5th owner, whatever. So, I feel the reason the magnetic drain bolts didn't come from factory is for this reason. NISSAN BENIFTS FROM STUFF BREAKING OUTTA WARRANTY. And really, I can't blame companies like this. It's a smart income.
I agree the bolt for the tranny is hard to get to. But it's possible. On my previous vehicle (camaro) I took off the few metal shavings that I had on my bolt via my ball brush I used for my golf clubs and golf *****. It too is metal and made brushing off the shavings very easy.
The fuel filter, yea, I won't go there. But you have a very very valid point. IMO, it shouldn't be maintenance free. I don't see how it could be.

Anywho,

Something else to consider.... Yes, like you, I agree that with-in those 20k intervals of fluid change that very small minute particles of metal debris/shavings do float around in there. And probably, without a magnetic drain bolt, will at some point come in contact with the trannys internals. But let's say you and I are jogging, and I take a twig and throw it at your legs... What happens? Exactly, not a dang thing other then you might have a scratch on your leg. Nothing ever too critical for you to stop jogging. Same thing here in the tranny, except for this time it's 1/100th the size of the "twig". After time, say if you were replacing your fluid every 50k or more (like alot of owners) then at that point you'd have more and more "twigs" hitting your legs in which case you'd probably get pissed and stop jogging. Same thing with the tranny. But we're talking about a "maybe" occurence. Being that there are too many variables to say when the failure would happen.
My two cents on all this. You changing out the fluid every 20k is GREAT! But get the drain bolt that has a slightly better magnetic pull on it. That way you will sleep sounder and worry less about your tranny and more about the bird flu pandemic scheduled for 2009/2010.
Others out there, like me, that will get a different car after three years or less can continue to not worry about the magnetic drain bolt. Well unless of course I was into auto cross, or drag racing and exposed my tranny to alot of use. But I just DD my baby.

Last edited by J. Dub; 10-27-2008 at 09:38 AM.
Old 10-27-2008, 12:47 PM
blackfairlady

Hahaha, yea I feel ya. Well the last couple of questions I can't really answer in a technical way but I can break it down like this from a business perspective... If you had the means to build the ultimate product that would require no repair (notice I didn't say no maintenance) would you build it? Well most would say no. Reason being... When stuff breaks (IE: tranny, engine, ect...) someone, somewhere will have to buy a new part to fix that issue. Whether it be the 3rd owner of said car, or 5th owner, whatever. So, I feel the reason the magnetic drain bolts didn't come from factory is for this reason. NISSAN BENIFTS FROM STUFF BREAKING OUTTA WARRANTY. And really, I can't blame companies like this. It's a smart income.
I agree the bolt for the tranny is hard to get to. But it's possible. On my previous vehicle (camaro) I took off the few metal shavings that I had on my bolt via my ball brush I used for my golf clubs and golf *****. It too is metal and made brushing off the shavings very easy.
The fuel filter, yea, I won't go there. But you have a very very valid point. IMO, it shouldn't be maintenance free. I don't see how it could be.

Anywho,

Something else to consider.... Yes, like you, I agree that with-in those 20k intervals of fluid change that very small minute particles of metal debris/shavings do float around in there. And probably, without a magnetic drain bolt, will at some point come in contact with the trannys internals. But let's say you and I are jogging, and I take a twig and throw it at your legs... What happens? Exactly, not a dang thing other then you might have a scratch on your leg. Nothing ever too critical for you to stop jogging. Same thing here in the tranny, except for this time it's 1/100th the size of the "twig". After time, say if you were replacing your fluid every 50k or more (like alot of owners) then at that point you'd have more and more "twigs" hitting your legs in which case you'd probably get pissed and stop jogging. Same thing with the tranny. But we're talking about a "maybe" occurence. Being that there are too many variables to say when the failure would happen.
My two cents on all this. You changing out the fluid every 20k is GREAT! But get the drain bolt that has a slightly better magnetic pull on it. That way you will sleep sounder and worry less about your tranny and more about the bird flu pandemic scheduled for 2009/2010.
Others out there, like me, that will get a different car after three years or less can continue to not worry about the magnetic drain bolt. Well unless of course I was into auto cross, or drag racing and exposed my tranny to alot of use. But I just DD my baby.

Excellent breakdown, and incredibly entertaining at the same time!

Thanks for giving me a pretty good handle on what is going on with the trans. Next fluid change, I will definitely order a magnetic drain plug for the it. I'll quite possibly be the only Z owner with one in there, but to me it's worth $20.

I suppose it is, in fact, good business strategy not to make an indestructible product. Bottom line is that it frustrates me (with both of my cars) that I put so much time and money into maintaining them and things still occasionally squeak, dent, scratch, bend, strip, leak, and rust Not to a great extent or insane frequency, of course, but enough to make me feel like I am running on a treadmill with trying to keep my cars maintained to my liking. I'm just all about max efficiency, max performance, and max protection. I know that things inevitably happen, but I like to try to prevent what is preventable...if you know what I mean. Thanks J-Dub.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:47 PM
J. Dub

Excellent breakdown, and incredibly entertaining at the same time!

Thanks for giving me a pretty good handle on what is going on with the trans. Next fluid change, I will definitely order a magnetic drain plug for the it. I'll quite possibly be the only Z owner with one in there, but to me it's worth $20.

I suppose it is, in fact, good business strategy not to make an indestructible product. Bottom line is that it frustrates me (with both of my cars) that I put so much time and money into maintaining them and things still occasionally squeak, dent, scratch, bend, strip, leak, and rust Not to a great extent or insane frequency, of course, but enough to make me feel like I am running on a treadmill with trying to keep my cars maintained to my liking. I'm just all about max efficiency, max performance, and max protection. I know that things inevitably happen, but I like to try to prevent what is preventable...if you know what I mean. Thanks J-Dub.
Jeeeez, I know what you mean when it comes to that. I was for sure in your shoes not a year and a half ago with my previous vehicle. I'm in the position now where I'm really considering leasing for 2 years cause there always seems something newer that comes out I want to get into. (IE: 09 SS camaro) Anywho, best of luck! That $20 for people like you and I is much worth the rest we'll recieve at night.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:50 PM
blackfairlady

Jeeeez, I know what you mean when it comes to that. I was for sure in your shoes not a year and a half ago with my previous vehicle. I'm in the position now where I'm really considering leasing for 2 years cause there always seems something newer that comes out I want to get into. (IE: 09 SS camaro) Anywho, best of luck! That $20 for people like you and I is much worth the rest we'll recieve at night.

Ironicaly, I am studying OCD for my psych exam tomorrow. hmmm....
Old 10-30-2008, 08:53 PM
J. Dub

Ironicaly, I am studying OCD for my psych exam tomorrow. hmmm....
Ha! There's some irony.

And, I for sure have OCD. No, I don't wash my hands all the time or anything like that. But for example my keys on my key ring, go from biggest to smallest and all the teeth point in the same direction. Little shi* like that I never noticed that my roommates point out I do.

Quick Reply: Magnetic Drain Plug for Transmission: useless, or a good idea?