Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Pumpkin Leaking.....What Could Cause this?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 05:14 PM
Motormouth
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no problem. I actually did a full photo documentation of the process, but I never finished composing it.

it's odd to say, but it was actually fun though at the time I was going to kill myself because it was ungodly frustrating.

the last person to have removed my diff (when I installed the LSD) stripped the bolt holding the diff into the rear bushing... and it's deep so i couldn't fit any of the stripped bolt remover tools in there! we tried everything. that was a ....hurdle.

also, make sure to be careful of the speed sensors on the diff when removing it or when doing anything near the bushing (they hide up behind the subframe and are delicate)

and as long as you have a friend, you don't need a transmission jack to hold up the diff when you drop the mounts. it's only about 70 lbs or so.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:30 PM
lgear080

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks motor. great info. your thoughts on improved ride after install?
Old 12-04-2008, 05:39 PM
Motormouth
Banned

like I said at the time.. my bushing was trashed so it's like going from shoes with no soles to air jordans...

but the changes I noticed the most:

- improved shift action (stiffer drivetrain) on the 6mt
- more predictable traction, and breakaway
- NO AXLE HOP <

there are others (like: the car can now literally fly, and shoots lasers) good effects, but these are the easiest to explain and least controversial. I think it improved the car a bunch personally... it feels different.

downsides:

- when cold, there is increased gear noise. once up to temp I really don't notice any difference (and I have a stock exhaust on now + test pipes/headers) in NVH.

it does not at all degrade the ride quality, but makes it better by isolating movement to the suspension, where it should take place. the subframe bushings isolate the road noise and vibrations very effectively.

Last edited by Motormouth; 12-04-2008 at 07:09 PM.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:08 PM
Barzten1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its odd because Ive never launch my car once since the TT setup and I hardly even drive it hard. I guess it was on its way to happen.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:18 PM
Motormouth
Banned

apparently they are very fragile. you have larger, gripper tires, stiffer suspension...

did you ever launch your car at the drag strip? even when stock a little bit of axle hop can destroy it.

not just power causes it... and it could have been busted for a while. it's not really apparent or affects anything until it's really bad.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:20 PM
surfcity40

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Motormouth
NO AXLE HOP <
That thar sold me.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:23 PM
Motormouth
Banned

I take check or money order. or unmarked bills.

lol (wishes I was a salesman so I got paid for these infomercials)

"do you have a moment so I can tell you about the wonderful benefits of the Miracle Blade Pro?"
Old 12-04-2008, 07:07 PM
lgear080

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

again, thanks.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:43 PM
Barzten1

Ef that I want a Shamwahhh!
Old 12-04-2008, 11:46 PM
Motormouth
Banned

I didn't have the capital invest in that gold mine. they simply want too much up front.

because they know the money will just roooooolll in. (still at work. here since 9am. no breakfast, no lunch, no dinner so far)
Old 12-04-2008, 11:49 PM
SuperBlack350z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

thanks Motormouth. good info. i have to remember this.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:52 PM
Motormouth
Banned

well, wait for SPL to confirm I am not an idiot before thanking me.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:38 AM
kuah@splparts.com
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Motormouth
*the shops I have seen replacing subframe bushings usually use a blow torch to melt them, and I would do the same if I had dropped the subframe.

the new solid SPL bushing is not 'too' hard to put in, you use a TON of soap and a lil water to lubricate and you basically hammer the everliving hell out of it to get it in. SPL provides a tool so you don't destroy the beautiful anodizing on the bushing but it isn't the greatest tbqh.
The tool provided is to allow the use of a shop press to press out the old bushing. Orient it so the smaller diameter end sits against the rubber on the old bushing, then start pressing. It will start pushing out the rubber, and then the larger diameter part will hit the bushing sleeve. At that point it has "centered" itself on the bushing, and becomes straightforward to press out.

A trick to putting in the new bushing is to freeze it overnight, that will cause the bushing to contract and be easier to slide in, though you have to work fast since the aluminum subframe conducts heat pretty well

Originally Posted by surfcity40
I'd go with this....can you post a pic of yours that isn't upside down?
That was a little joke, that picture of the subframe upside down is AFTER we had replaced the bushing (you can see the aluminum bushing on there). Gear oil leak will not stain the diff housing in that manner, like with any oil leaks it should be oily/gummy and can be cleaned off. The silicone leak from the bushing will stain the housing, and dry on like paint; we tried cleaning off the stain using brake cleaner and it won't come off.

Last edited by kuah@splparts.com; 12-05-2008 at 05:46 AM.
Old 12-05-2008, 06:16 AM
ChrisR

i have this same problem. theres even dried up fluid on my exhaust which was put on less than 4 months ago
Old 12-05-2008, 07:09 AM
Motormouth
Banned

Originally Posted by kuah@splparts.com
The tool provided is to allow the use of a shop press to press out the old bushing. Orient it so the smaller diameter end sits against the rubber on the old bushing, then start pressing. It will start pushing out the rubber, and then the larger diameter part will hit the bushing sleeve. At that point it has "centered" itself on the bushing, and becomes straightforward to press out.

A trick to putting in the new bushing is to freeze it overnight, that will cause the bushing to contract and be easier to slide in, though you have to work fast since the aluminum subframe conducts heat pretty well

That was a little joke, that picture of the subframe upside down is AFTER we had replaced the bushing (you can see the aluminum bushing on there). Gear oil leak will not stain the diff housing in that manner, like with any oil leaks it should be oily/gummy and can be cleaned off. The silicone leak from the bushing will stain the housing, and dry on like paint; we tried cleaning off the stain using brake cleaner and it won't come off.
ah we did toss it in the freeze for a bit, but not overnight no foresight on our part. but I didn't have a press, and was uninformed of what the tool was for. no wonder it didn't work out so well lol..