Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

rattling/clunking in rear?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 05:11 PM
SniperHunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by captfantastic76
Good idea. I'll try to work on it tomorrow too. Tonight I got it pretty much dead quiet just by remolding the putty. I might try some felt covered pieces of rubber... Keep me posted and keep up the good work....
I'm going to attempt to fiddle around with the latch adjuster some more.
Old 01-22-2010, 05:57 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Alright, it doesn't seem like there is an actual answer to the problem, so I will give my experience:

1. Hatch rattle - drove me crazy, I bought new shocks and it went away.

2. Bought a Nismo V1 spoiler and when I removed the inside plastic cover of the hatch I accidentally broke some clips. This created a rattle so I placed double-sided tape where the broken clips should have been and this stopped the rattle.

3. Now I have a prominent clunk in the rear, it's not the exhaust, or the interior. I bought some new Tokico shocks and hopefully this solves the problem (if not, the schocks need relacing anyway) Also, I took it to Precision Z here in Los Angeles and they even placed the car on a rolling test bed and also didn't hear anything.

One thing I may try out is to drive around with my hatch open for a few blocks to further isolate the issue, it may at least eliminate whether it's the hatch or the suspension.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:19 AM
350z2k3

My parts finally came in!!!!!

Hopefully eatly next week I can get it in to the dealer.

I'll report back with the status.

I hope this fixes it.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:48 AM
SniperHunter

I'm going to try another little method related to the circular loop on the hatch.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:08 PM
SniperHunter

How in the hell do you take off the top panel on the hatch that houses the counterweight and where the loop is mounted at? Just how hard do you have to pull on the damn thing?
Old 01-23-2010, 09:25 PM
SniperHunter

I found this:

https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance...lizer-bar.html

I have an '03 Enthusiast with about 45k miles on it. There is a very annoying rattle that has started about a year ago and I am about to lose my mind. Turning up the tunes helps, but still drives me crazy! It sounds like it's coming from the stabilizer bar in the back hatch area. It sounds like a wire has come loose and is bouncing against metal in the crossover. Or perhaps it could be from the hatch door, as it's hard to tell while driving. It is coming from the right rear side of the car. Has anyone had this same problem? Please help me save my sanity!!
I finally gave up a few days ago, and took my car to the stealer to see if they could fix this bloody noise. They charged me about $200-, but worth every penny if it lasts. I talked to the mechanic who solved the mystery noise and he said that he had to remove the black metal panel (located underneath the plastic panels of the stabalizer bar) that reinforces the stab bar to the inside of the right rear fender. Once inside of that area, he said there is what he called "metal glue" that holds metal together that is pressed by machine at that joint. The "glue" had broken it's bond and was causing the rattle to occur. He said he just bent the metal so it didn't make contact with the fender metal anymore and problem solved.

Check it out and let me know if this solves your issue as well!
Old 01-23-2010, 09:26 PM
350z2k3

hmmm, haven't taken it off...i've just removed the plastic piece where the light is and adjusted the latch hoop up and down to get rid of the hatch "buzzing"
Old 01-23-2010, 09:38 PM
SniperHunter

Btw, I took off the strut panels, and chipped two of the clips on one of them in the process and now it won't snap back flush, so there's a giant gap. Awesome. And it's not the clips you can replace, it's the plastic teeth attached to the panel itself...and a new panel costs $100 from the stealer.

Seriously. F*ck this car. And f*ck Nissan for their cheap and sh*tty build quality.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:47 PM
captfantastic76

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sucks Arnold

I worked isolating anything that
might rattle without taking anything apart. I can only minimize it, not get rid of it again. I just don't get what happened.

Maybe the wiper motor?

I guess I'll try another dealership. It sucks that we have to try to fix this ourselves.
Old 01-24-2010, 01:51 PM
SniperHunter

But why would it just make a noise when we hit a bump on the passenger side only? It can't be the motor, otherwise it'd always rattle.
Old 01-24-2010, 02:43 PM
captfantastic76

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know. I'm just desperate.

I might go to westbury or massapequa Nissan soon
Old 01-24-2010, 03:14 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Arnold K.
Btw, I took off the strut panels, and chipped two of the clips on one of them in the process and now it won't snap back flush, so there's a giant gap. Awesome. And it's not the clips you can replace, it's the plastic teeth attached to the panel itself...and a new panel costs $100 from the stealer.

Seriously. F*ck this car. And f*ck Nissan for their cheap and sh*tty build quality.
That seriously sucks, but I would rather have a few creaks here and there in return for such a reliable car otherwise.

I think you need to further isolate the noise and get the opinion of others, before tearing things apart. (learned this the hard way)
Old 01-24-2010, 03:26 PM
SniperHunter

Originally Posted by captfantastic76
I don't know. I'm just desperate.

I might go to westbury or massapequa Nissan soon
Let me know how that fares for you.

Originally Posted by waizzz
That seriously sucks, but I would rather have a few creaks here and there in return for such a reliable car otherwise.

I think you need to further isolate the noise and get the opinion of others, before tearing things apart. (learned this the hard way)
Hopefully I can find a panel somewhere at the junkers. But, getting opinions is what I've been doing for a while now - Nissan, friend's shop, this whole thread, etc. Right now, we're going to see if 350Z2K3's problem will disappear once the suspension stuff is installed.
Old 01-24-2010, 03:44 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Hopefully I can find a panel somewhere at the junkers. But, getting opinions is what I've been doing for a while now - Nissan, friend's shop, this whole thread, etc. Right now, we're going to see if 350Z2K3's problem will disappear once the suspension stuff is installed.
I hear you, but I think there are several different issues that are being raised in this thread and it's a matter of isolating which one matches yours the most.

From what I can tell, it's suspension, hatch under-panel, hatch struts, or now rear strut tower issue related.

I will update this thread when I get my new shocks installed next month.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:27 PM
SniperHunter

Agreed. I think Captfantastic and I have the same issue. But I really would love to see more people post video/audio clips of their clunks.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:48 AM
zbiskit

I am currently having this problem on my 2007 350Z. It is a rattle and it is specifically when the shock is in the down motion. Last week they replaced the rear shock mount on one side only, the noise was gone. 5 days later the noise returned. I have an appointment Wednesday to ride with the tech to see if we can hammer this out. It is either the new part gone bad already or it is the other side failing now too. I am bringing this list of parts with me and I will discuss the gasket with him. I will let you all know how it works out. My warranty is up next month so I am glad it is happening before then, parts and labor not cheap on this one. I got the one shockmount replaced and the two hatch struts replaced and the ticket was like $690! Glad it's under warranty.......
Old 01-25-2010, 10:38 AM
frizille

Sorry man... EXACT same thing happened to me. Some doublesided tape worked ok for a bit...
Old 01-28-2010, 01:04 PM
350z2k3

Parts are in. Car goes in to dealer tomorrow, should know if it worked by Saturday.

*%$tty thing is I think it's making the noise on the driver side too, i hope I'm wrong.
Old 01-28-2010, 03:59 PM
SniperHunter

So after two people took a drive around with me, I noticed yesterday when there's weight on the passenger side, the clunk isn't as hard and loud sounding. It's still obviously there (when I recorded the video clip, my GF was in the car, but she only weighs like 110-115), but not as bad as when it's just me or a very light passenger such as my gf.

The two people in my car were at the very least 50-60lbs heavier than my GF, there seemed to be a clear difference in the intensity. Soooo, could this signal a suspension issue? That when there's more load on the strut, it's clunking against the car less? I may likely reinstall the spring too, just in case, but I'm curious if I'm onto something here?

Originally Posted by 350z2k3
Parts are in. Car goes in to dealer tomorrow, should know if it worked by Saturday.

*%$tty thing is I think it's making the noise on the driver side too, i hope I'm wrong.
I have a feeling like mine is too. :\

A friend of mine gave me his 2005 rear OEM struts, so I'm going to swap them in and hoping that clears it all up.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:08 AM
350z2k3

off to the dealer to pick up my car...

....wish me...

...luck

Quick Reply: rattling/clunking in rear?