Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

rattling/clunking in rear?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 12:38 AM
SniperHunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I should hopefully be taking my car in sometime soon to get this fixed.
Old 06-19-2009, 10:16 PM
captfantastic76

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default noise returned

That damn noise is definitely still coming back. Last time I went to GN Nissan, they said they drove it and didn't hear anything, so that sucked. I'll have to bring it back again. Maybe it's the gasket someone mentioned. Funny thing is, it was GONE for weeks and then crept back.

Any ideas, guys?

Thanks.

I'm wondering if Nismo S=tune kit would get rid of the thing once and for all...
Old 06-21-2009, 12:06 AM
SniperHunter

I have the part on order and should have it installed sometime soon.
Old 06-21-2009, 04:25 AM
quakerroatmeal

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have this problem, I think it got worst as well..mainly low speeds, 04.5 here as well.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:12 PM
sweets2k

Same problem here on my 07. Just installed one piece stance coilovers and clunk is still present. We checked everything and my wife is telling me to just trade it for 370z...what to do?
Old 06-22-2009, 07:54 PM
GAMERMODZoCOM

Originally Posted by sweets2k
Same problem here on my 07. Just installed one piece stance coilovers and clunk is still present. We checked everything and my wife is telling me to just trade it for 370z...what to do?
Check your hubs. Jack the wheel up that you hear it on then grab the tire and shake it left and right. There should be almost no wiggle. If there is, get it checked out. If you don't your car could become very slippery. I had a hub go bad on my rear driver side and the dealer kept saying "we can't find anything wrong". I have an 08 NISMO and after the 3rd time took the mechanic on the highway with me, gave the wheel a tiny shake, and the *** end almost came out. He realized really quick something wasn't right but still said he couldn't find the problem. The next day I decided to check my hub and guess what, I was right, it was bad.

In every profession sometimes the obvious is overlooked.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:39 AM
quakerroatmeal

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Arnold K.
I should hopefully be taking my car in sometime soon to get this fixed.
Any updates?
Old 06-25-2009, 09:53 AM
captfantastic76

The key thing is that after both "struts" were replaced, the noise was GONE-completely. For a few weeks, no matter how big the bump-dead quiet. I made absolutely sure. It's been slowly coming back, increasing in frequency.

So, something they did had an effect on it. I'll bring it back in soon, maybe show them a print out of this thread. But it's hard to get them to hear it.

Last edited by captfantastic76; 06-25-2009 at 10:14 AM.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:51 PM
SniperHunter

Originally Posted by quakerroatmeal
Any updates?
Originally Posted by captfantastic76
The key thing is that after both "struts" were replaced, the noise was GONE-completely. For a few weeks, no matter how big the bump-dead quiet. I made absolutely sure. It's been slowly coming back, increasing in frequency.

So, something they did had an effect on it. I'll bring it back in soon, maybe show them a print out of this thread. But it's hard to get them to hear it.
My car is going on in less than 5 hours and the FIRST thing I will do once I'm back is post what happens. Wish me luck!
Old 06-30-2009, 02:10 PM
SniperHunter

Ok, I'm back. Unfortunately traffic is jam packed on the roads, so I can't hit the rough roads at a decent speed. I'll take the car out for a drive later at night and be back then.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:46 AM
SniperHunter

Well, I don't believe it fixed it. It seems to have lessened it, but I could be imagining that. I'm going to try and look at my tools again, just to see if they've come loose. I'm going to remove the spare, jack and tools and see if it makes a difference.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:01 AM
Majininu

Originally Posted by GAMERMODZoCOM
Check your hubs. Jack the wheel up that you hear it on then grab the tire and shake it left and right. There should be almost no wiggle. If there is, get it checked out. If you don't your car could become very slippery. I had a hub go bad on my rear driver side and the dealer kept saying "we can't find anything wrong". I have an 08 NISMO and after the 3rd time took the mechanic on the highway with me, gave the wheel a tiny shake, and the *** end almost came out. He realized really quick something wasn't right but still said he couldn't find the problem. The next day I decided to check my hub and guess what, I was right, it was bad.

In every profession sometimes the obvious is overlooked.
Hey gamermodz,

dumb question: What do you mean by HUB?

Also I took all the equipment out of my car and nothing!!!

I've been to the dealer 3 times and now im sending in the Lemon Law Warning letter to NISSAN.

But I will check the HUB part and soon as someone points it out.

Also I rode with my hatch up and people in the back. So it's not the hatch and my brother said it's coming from under the car.

If there is any help please write BLOG ASAP!

Thanks!
Old 07-01-2009, 11:02 AM
Majininu

When i took my equipment out I meant the clunking was still there!
Old 07-01-2009, 12:47 PM
captfantastic76

No, the only thing that actually got RID of it completely, and I do mean completely (any size bump at any speed) was having BOTH struts replaced. But it's slowly come back.

So, we know it's nothing to do with the hatch.

We know that it must have something to do with the suspension, because brand new struts got rid of it for a little while.

It's related to the body coming down and hitting something when you hit a bump.

Either the shocks are defective or there's something else wrong.

But I'm SURE it's back now. It's a very distinctive noise that doesn't sound like anything else.

I have another appointment at Great Neck Nissan on Friday. I'll let you know what happens.

Last edited by captfantastic76; 07-01-2009 at 12:50 PM.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:52 PM
captfantastic76

Arnold, what part did you have replaced? What exactly did they do?

Thanks.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:27 AM
SniperHunter

It's listed in a post on the 3rd page. Would you like to meet up sometime just to compare noises, by the way?
Old 07-05-2009, 07:26 PM
SniperHunter

Well, it looks like I was wrong. I believe the rattle is pretty much completely gone, guys. I've driven 250 miles in the past 3 days (Hamptons and then to Jersey for July 4th parties) and I hit some rough roads and did not hear it rattle once. I will confirm tomorrow once I drive around with and without the tools and carpeting.

Stay posted.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:51 AM
Majininu

Hey guys,

I had a Nissan Engineer come out today to inspect the vehicle.

Unfortunately, my Z decides today not to make the noise!

Man am I frustrated.!!!!

On a good note, my seat was making a lot of noise, so they're replacing the seat bracket. Also, my windshield washer tank was leaking so they are replacing that too.

He also told me that the original tires are only good for 10k-15k miles. I have mine @33K and bald. lol
Im gonna change the tires and see if that does anything.

He also explained there is a cup/cone in the rear suspension where the spring is at. What that does is expand when there is pressure and if you hit a really bad bump it may create a smacking noise.....we all know that's not what it is...maybe.

He also inspected the vehicle and nothing was wrong. He lifted the car and showed me a whole lot!

About the gasket at the top of the rear suspension, he stated that the gasket was so thin, if we took it out, it would still not make any noise and that is not the problem or a problem........i guess that's true.

Hope this helps!
Old 08-10-2009, 10:59 AM
captfantastic76

good info-thanks!

fyi-I still haven't had a chance to bring it in again. But in the summer heat, it seems to go away anyway. comes back when the temp gets below 80 or so....
Old 08-25-2009, 08:17 PM
ak808

Hate to bump an old thread but is the gasket the generalized fix for this? I started to get his a few months ago on my 04 G35 coupe. I do have apexi coilovers and at first I thought it was a blown rear passenger side strut. However it doesn't feel like it's blown. It doesn't have that really soft bouncy bouncy feel but rather it still feels stiff. Any updates would be greatly appreciated before I replace my coilovers with a new set, when I could be spending that money on sways. Thanks.

Quick Reply: rattling/clunking in rear?