Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Transmission Or Clutch Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 09:21 AM
REDGTP86

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Or Clutch Problems?

I have an 08 Z I just picked up a couple months ago. So far they had to replace the tranny, due to a bearing being off measurement, and it's NISSAN procedure not to take apart anything, so they just gave me a new one. I originally brought it in for a rattling sound when the clutch was released in neutral. I got it back a couple weeks ago, and it started making the sound again. Does anybody know what it could possibly be? Help would e greatly appreciated.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:01 AM
kyx4n

im very sure that this is normal..

as thousands of people have brought this up
Old 03-21-2009, 10:28 AM
floppymoppy1234

Originally Posted by REDGTP86
I have an 08 Z I just picked up a couple months ago. So far they had to replace the tranny, due to a bearing being off measurement, and it's NISSAN procedure not to take apart anything, so they just gave me a new one. I originally brought it in for a rattling sound when the clutch was released in neutral. I got it back a couple weeks ago, and it started making the sound again. Does anybody know what it could possibly be? Help would e greatly appreciated.
i am having the same problem with my 08... it makes a rattle sound when the clutch is released in neutral, but my car is brand new, should i bring it in to service as well? i didnt think this was a problem.. or is it? thanks
Old 03-21-2009, 10:32 AM
Flankenstein

I don't believe this is any real problem other than an annoyance.
I've had a 93 ttz, an 06 350z, and currently have an 08 350z.
All three cars made this sound, the 93 tt was the worst.

-Edit Also as kyx4n said this is a very old problem that has been discussed over and over and many forums.
I would never consider having my tranny replaced unless it was just too loud or had an actual shifting issue.

Last edited by Flankenstein; 03-21-2009 at 10:36 AM.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:55 AM
QNman

I have had numerous stick shifts in my life. ALL of them make a certain amount of rattle when idling with the clutch disengaged in neutral. My 08 does this, and it doesn't sound the slightest irregular to me.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:02 AM
REDGTP86

thanks guys for your replies. The only reason they replaced the transmission, is because they found the problem, I just brought it in to see if it was something screwy. I wasn't sure if it was a normal sound or what, I guess I'm just used to autos. I do realize it does make a different sound, but this one only comes every once in awhile, and is pretty loud. I made an appointment yesterday, but I should have just asked you guys. Thanks again.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:33 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Not certain if this is a problem. You know your car better than I. You can take it to the dealer. $100 says he well say

Oh that's normal.
Old 03-21-2009, 01:18 PM
REDGTP86

Originally Posted by davidv
Not certain if this is a problem. You know your car better than I. You can take it to the dealer. $100 says he well say

Oh that's normal.
Ohh, one can only hope that's what they will say. I just don't want the thing to crap out completely in a few months, then I'll be mad at myself for not bringing it in.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:55 AM
floppymoppy1234

hey redgt, im also having the same problem, what are other symptoms that you have experienced? I dunno if mines is normal, or maybe i also have a bearing off measurement somewhere? thanks
Old 03-22-2009, 09:08 AM
REDGTP86

Originally Posted by floppymoppy1234
hey redgt, im also having the same problem, what are other symptoms that you have experienced? I dunno if mines is normal, or maybe i also have a bearing off measurement somewhere? thanks
Hey, whenever I would take the clutch out when it was in neutral, there would be this sound, that sounded like a bunch of bearings spinning freely. I really noticed it in the garage. It just so happened I guess that that was the problem. The transmission was also really clunky when sort of lugging it out, even more so than normal. That sound I first heard has started up again, and it's that free spinning, rattling noise, so I am taking it in tomorrow first thing in the morning. I forget exactly what bearing it was, but I mean if it's making a shot noise, and it's under warranty, it wouldn't hurt to take it in. Especially if it is getting worse. I'll let you know if they find anything wrong with it this time, hopefully they don't, but ya never know.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:05 AM
QNman

While the description doesn't sound abnormal, if you aren't sure, it is prudent to have someone check it out where they can hear the noise too.

If it's still under warranty, it certainly can't hurt to have it checked.
Old 03-22-2009, 05:07 PM
montyz

Same thing happened to my '07 at about 6000 miles, they replaced the tranny and the muffler (broken baffles). These tranny's are loud, even with the new one I still get random rattles, more so when the tranny's hot. Can't remember the manufacturer of these transmission's but as I understand they're known to be loud, same company that made them for the hyundai tiba-****.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:16 PM
donkinuts

This is normal for the Z and for many other performance cars out there. Everyone seems to agree the flywheel is making all the noise. I have the exact same noise on my
'08 Lexus IS250 6spd.