Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Fuel Gauge randomness

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009 | 10:46 AM
TedB350Z

Default Fuel Gauge randomness

I know I had read a few threads about the fuel gauge. It'll randomly read 1/4 of a tank, but I know I just put in 5 gallons, or I'll put in 2 gallons, and it'll go up from 1/4 to half, or it'll just be random . The car runs great, no problems starting or running. Is this a common problem? it's an 04 Touring, 5AT...
Old 04-08-2009 | 12:12 PM
CaliSilvZ

pretty much, i have the same problem. common problem on the Z and G's
Old 04-10-2009 | 07:40 AM
CarsonTunedZ

^ Yup, very annoyoing. I'll put in about 12 gallons of gas on my '04 Track and "fill" the tank. 4-5 days later with less than 50-75 miles it's under 3/4 of a tank?!

I went to the dealership once and spoke to a tech and he gave me the part numbers to what needs to get replaced. Oh, and he mentioned that in order to replace these parts they will have to drop the gas tank.

Sounds very expensive so I think I'll just put up with this
Old 04-10-2009 | 12:01 PM
TedB350Z

So is this something that would be covered under a warranty? Seems if it's not reading what it should be it's either something needs replaced or something was poorly designed...
Old 04-10-2009 | 12:28 PM
can'tZme

There are two TSB's for this problem with the 03-05 Z's. One TSB says "Fuel tank is difficult to fill at times" and the other TSB says "Fuel tank will only go to half full" or something like that. My fuel gauge is doing the same thing everybody else is doing on here. I looked at both TSB's and I need a new shutter valve. This is located in the gas tank behind a baffle. It requires you to drain most of the fuel out of the tank and release the fuel pressure and bend a baffle back and take the old shutter valve off and replace it with a new one. I will post the exact TSB on this shutter valve on Monday. The shutter valve can be picked up at the dealer. They will probably have to order it, it's about $5-$8. Mine is suppose to be here Tuesday. I will post a how-to if it fixes my problem.
Old 04-15-2009 | 06:13 PM
can'tZme

Well I replaced my shutter/filler valve today inside my gas tank...what a b*tch!!! I don't really know if it fixed my problem yet because my fuel gauge is so random. I'm going to give it a week or so to confirm if it fixed it.

You need to have the least amount of fuel in your tank as possible, bone dry would be perfect. Open the side of the tank that has the fuel pump (passenger side) and completly remove the fuel pump. Put tape or something over the opening to the tank so it will not cut you. IT WILL CUT YOUR ARM! GASOLINE AND CUTS DO NOT MIX! You will see a baffle (metal plate) towards the back of the tank (or towards the direction of the rear of the car) push it up and away from you. Put a piece of rubber hose or wire harness cover over the edge of the baffle or it will cut you also. Try to reach under the baffle and you will feel the shutter valve at the end of a rubber type piece. The valve is really hard to remove because of the location and that the baffle is in the way. Your suppose to twist and pull straight out on the valve to remove it. Push and twist on the new vlave to get it back on. You will hear a click when it's on. Take the rubber hose off the baffle and bend it back and put your fuel pump back in and your gasoline. If this doesn't fix your problem them I don't really know. But I hope this helps somebody!