Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

2 yearly brake fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 07:25 AM
dalecan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 yearly brake fluid change

Hey guys,

Most cars that I've owned in the past have had a complete brake fluid change about every two years (BMWs). As you all know brake fluid is hydroscopic, so it absorbs water over time. Water ingress will lead to lower braking performance and also internal damage to the braking components.

I've just looked through the service booklet for the 350z and nowhere does it suggests a brake fluid change as part of the maintenance plan.

Does anyone have any experience or views on this?

Thanks in advance
Old 04-29-2009, 01:18 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

The frequency of fluid change depends on how the car is used. I autocross and more importantly, track my car, so I flush fluid about every six months. For somebody who was doing spirited mountain-road driving or other severe braking situations, then I might do it annually. For the average driver around town, every two to five years might suffice.

The maintenance guide recommends regular inspection. Obviously, discolored fluid would be a sign that it's time to change it.

As an alternative to regular replacment, you probably should bleed fluid annually to replace what's in the calipers and subjected to the most heat, with something fresh.
Old 04-29-2009, 03:50 PM
35Z

Default Brake fluid intervals

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
The frequency of fluid change depends on how the car is used. I autocross and more importantly, track my car, so I flush fluid about every six months. For somebody who was doing spirited mountain-road driving or other severe braking situations, then I might do it annually. For the average driver around town, every two to five years might suffice.

The maintenance guide recommends regular inspection. Obviously, discolored fluid would be a sign that it's time to change it.

As an alternative to regular replacment, you probably should bleed fluid annually to replace what's in the calipers and subjected to the most heat, with something fresh.
^1. Brake fluid changing is easy to do with a Motive brake bleeder. Just fill the container, pump the canister to pressurize, open the bleed screws and bleed the calipers.
Old 04-29-2009, 03:59 PM
sk26dett

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whatever you do don't wait as long as I did. I changed my fluid after 5 years and 60k miles, my car is daily driven but was never tracked and the fluid was toast, it was dark and smelled horrible when i finally changed it. The change in pedal feel was amazing.
Old 04-29-2009, 04:05 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 35Z
^1. Brake fluid changing is easy to do with a Motive brake bleeder. Just fill the container, pump the canister to pressurize, open the bleed screws and bleed the calipers.
True. I own and use a Motive unit only because I replace and bleed brakes so often. For most people, $60 is overkill. The $10 one-man bleeder kits they sell will work great for the simple brake bleed done annually.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:56 PM
SoldzMyZ

I just changed my brake/clutch fluid at 68k and I noticed that the new fluid was much lighter than the fluid it replaced. So yeah definitely changed every 2 years or 30k. I for one will just change it with the 30k major service.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:56 AM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The word you are looking for is HYGROSCOPIC. Not hydroscopic.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:10 AM
dalecan

Originally Posted by JETPILOT
The word you are looking for is HYGROSCOPIC. Not hydroscopic.
Thanks for the correction. I've been using hydroscopic for years! I'm a biomechanist not a biochemist

An opinion on the changing frequency / need would be appreciated.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:43 PM
Bevo

I normally flush it whenever i change my pads/ rotors.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:16 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Why not replace the brake fluid when you feel comfortable?
Old 05-04-2009, 08:38 PM
dalecan

Originally Posted by davidv
Why not replace the brake fluid when you feel comfortable?
It just seems strange to me that this is not included, anywhere, in the service schedule. I am getting it changed tomorrow; however, I wanted to raise the issue to get peoples opinions. I'll bet there are some people that never change it and yet aren't happy with their brakes. Incidentally, my brake feel is fine and I'm changing the fluid because of its nature to absorb water over time. I'll see if the pedal feel changes (although I'm not expecting it too).
Old 05-04-2009, 09:07 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dalecan
It just seems strange to me that this is not included, anywhere, in the service schedule. I am getting it changed tomorrow; however, I wanted to raise the issue to get peoples opinions. I'll bet there are some people that never change it and yet aren't happy with their brakes. Incidentally, my brake feel is fine and I'm changing the fluid because of its nature to absorb water over time. I'll see if the pedal feel changes (although I'm not expecting it too).
It is strange.

I was doing preventive maintenance according to the book. 10,000 miles. 20,000 miles. 30,000 miles. When I got to 40,000 miles I kept wondering where is the brake fluid change?
Old 05-07-2009, 07:28 AM
dalecan

I just had this done as part of my 30K service and it only cost $60. There's not that much difference in pedal feel, however I still think it needed changing as it's an 03 and never been done before.

I'm really amazed that it's not in the service schedule!