Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Epoxy repair for upper oil pan? (went airborn in Tampa)

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 05:26 AM
SangZ350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Epoxy repair for upper oil pan? (went airborn in Tampa)

(my first post)
Hi all,
(My story)-Ok, so my 04 350z went air born "Dukes of Hazard" style up a curb/hill at about 80-100 mph (don't know how much braking did at 130) in Tampa, FL. Upon landing I blew 3 tires and bent one rim. Not to mention bottoming out after landing. For those members who live in Tampa this happened in Hillsboroough county on the corner of Linebaugh and Gunn right next to S&R Racing and Advanced Performance Wheels (into that industrial parking lot).
(My problem)- Aside from needing body work, everything mechanical on my car checked out fine (thank god for tokico shocks & tein springs!), except my car was leaking oil from the upper oil pan. Later I found out it was a crack running horizontal on the upper pan where it meets the lower pan. Unfortunately after spending all my money on body work and tires I can not fix this properly. I need a fix that will hold as long as I need to make enough to cover this repair.
(My Question)- After removing the lower pan and wiping down/ cleaning the cracked spot on the upper pan, what kind of seal will hold best? I've read many posts and some people say JB, some say Permatex/Devcon... My mechanic skills are very amateur so anything input will help. Also will and of these epoxies break off and circulate into my engine? What is the best way to prep the cracked area?

Pictures below: I couldn't get pictures of the crack because I haven't opened up my car yet, but I thought I'd show you guys just how I got up off on all fours. the left picture is my entry point and the pic on the right is the side view (use the black volvo as reference points in both photos) Luckily this accident happened at night and the lot was empty. You can't see the skids in these pics but I landed in front of the blue neon in the pic on the right and proceeded to skid on momentum for bout 20 yards.
Attached Thumbnails Epoxy repair for upper oil pan? (went airborn in Tampa)-hill2.jpeg   Epoxy repair for upper oil pan? (went airborn in Tampa)-hill.jpeg  
Old 05-17-2009, 05:39 AM
350Zenophile

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

WUT?! In for the lulz.

How were you able to launch off of that doing +80mph and stop in time to not hit other things in the parking lot?

I don't think I'd trust my engine to JB-Weld...
Old 05-17-2009, 06:15 AM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Received 982 Likes on 745 Posts

Originally Posted by SangZ350
(my first post)
Hi all,
(My story)-Ok, so my 04 350z went air born "Dukes of Hazard" style up a curb/hill at about 80-100 mph (don't know how much braking did at 130) in Tampa, FL. Upon landing I blew 3 tires and bent one rim. Not to mention bottoming out after landing. For those members who live in Tampa this happened in Hillsboroough county on the corner of Linebaugh and Gunn right next to S&R Racing and Advanced Performance Wheels (into that industrial parking lot).
(My problem)- Aside from needing body work, everything mechanical on my car checked out fine (thank god for tokico shocks & tein springs!), except my car was leaking oil from the upper oil pan. Later I found out it was a crack running horizontal on the upper pan where it meets the lower pan. Unfortunately after spending all my money on body work and tires I can not fix this properly. I need a fix that will hold as long as I need to make enough to cover this repair.
(My Question)- After removing the lower pan and wiping down/ cleaning the cracked spot on the upper pan, what kind of seal will hold best? I've read many posts and some people say JB, some say Permatex/Devcon... My mechanic skills are very amateur so anything input will help. Also will and of these epoxies break off and circulate into my engine? What is the best way to prep the cracked area?

Pictures below: I couldn't get pictures of the crack because I haven't opened up my car yet, but I thought I'd show you guys just how I got up off on all fours. the left picture is my entry point and the pic on the right is the side view (use the black volvo as reference points in both photos) Luckily this accident happened at night and the lot was empty. You can't see the skids in these pics but I landed in front of the blue neon in the pic on the right and proceeded to skid on momentum for bout 20 yards.
INB4 shitstorm!
Old 05-17-2009, 06:22 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,299 Likes on 900 Posts

You need to replace the upper oil pan. Period.
Old 05-17-2009, 06:29 AM
SangZ350

Originally Posted by dkmura
You need to replace the upper oil pan. Period.
I said I was going to replace it when I get the money... I need advice on quick fixes
Old 05-17-2009, 06:56 AM
cheshirecat79

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How the hell were you going that fast in that area
Old 05-17-2009, 07:05 AM
Booyotch

I said I was going to replace it when I get the money... I need advice on quick fixes
Either fix it the right way now, or discover that your quick fix didn't work so well when you completely destroy your engine in a matter of seconds the next time you drive like that.
If you don't have the $$$, park the car till you do. Or, risk god knows how much for a new engine.
Old 05-17-2009, 07:07 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

10 style points for you.
Old 05-17-2009, 07:14 AM
diwun67

Ok seriously. WTF were you doing going that fast in that area? I'm around that area ALL the time and can't fathom how or why you were going that fast.

*Tip for next time* If you're gonna ask a question for help or advice, leave the ridiculous story out. You'll find that people may actually help instead of laughing at you.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:13 AM
SoldzMyZ

some guess as to why this happened?
OP is mildly retarted
OP is irresponsible
OP was street racing
OP wants us to pay more for insurance
Old 05-17-2009, 11:07 AM
SangZ350

Originally Posted by diwun67
Ok seriously. WTF were you doing going that fast in that area? I'm around that area ALL the time and can't fathom how or why you were going that fast.

*Tip for next time* If you're gonna ask a question for help or advice, leave the ridiculous story out. You'll find that people may actually help instead of laughing at you.
REALLY? you're in tampa bay area ALL the time and you don't know why I was going that fast? let me put it in terms you'll understand Ricky Bobby, "if you're not first you're last." It was just my night to hit the wall.
Old 05-17-2009, 11:16 AM
SangZ350

Originally Posted by booey1979
some guess as to why this happened?
OP is mildly retarted
OP is irresponsible
OP was street racing
OP wants us to pay more for insurance
hmm ok sounds like
Replied member has nothing important to say
Replied member gets his thrills in front of a computer flaming on forumz
Replied member needs to grow a pair
Replied member needs to remove his head from his A**

btw, wtf is mildly "retarted"
Old 05-17-2009, 11:25 AM
labelworkshop75

you sir should just ride the bus and stop driving all together
Old 05-17-2009, 12:04 PM
nothix

Originally Posted by labelworkshop75
you sir should just ride the bus and stop driving all together
+1 before you kill someone (other then yourself)
you sound like a total asshat
Old 05-17-2009, 12:15 PM
snoody

wow my man do u have a bbk because i was doing 65 and i hit someone and slid 178 feet but it was after a lil rain .....shrug
Old 05-17-2009, 12:24 PM
jray8

Old 05-17-2009, 02:59 PM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Received 982 Likes on 745 Posts

REALLY? you're in tampa bay area ALL the time and you don't know why I was going that fast? let me put it in terms you'll understand Ricky Bobby, "if you're not first you're last." It was just my night to hit the wall.
seriously!
Old 05-17-2009, 03:03 PM
teh215

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

To the question at hand: You need to that part.

To the thread in general:
Old 05-18-2009, 05:10 AM
JMSpeed

im actually mildly disappointed with how little constructive help was given rather than everyone toot their horn and feel good that they are on the anti-street racing wagon. either answer the question and move on, he won't change his habits because you tell him so. and to the OP, its probably best not to deliver the scenario next time because just like you, everyone around here will continue to e-bash as long as they are behind a computer.

also, a quick google search told me that a temp fix might be steel filled epoxy applied after thoroughly cleaning the cracked area. http://www.ehow.com/how_4693922_seal-oil-pan-leak.html
Old 05-18-2009, 05:15 AM
Tac-M

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quick Reply: Epoxy repair for upper oil pan? (went airborn in Tampa)