Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

hatch strut installation

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009 | 03:33 PM
snuffy11

Default hatch strut installation

Hello to all 350z members. I have a question/problem and I need advice from others if they have done this themselves. I bought replacement struts for my hatch and of course the salesman said it should be an easy install.. Well, tried it,, scratched the inside of my hatch a bit and now want to know if there is a special tool to pop the old struts off of the ball on both ends..

I looked into the forums and did not see any related to this problem so, if it is in there, I may have missed it and if not... HELP PLEASE!!!..

Thanks and have a great weekend and be safe out there...
Old 07-12-2009 | 03:41 PM
3FIDDYZED

If the struts you had on there are Nissan ones then they dont come off. Well not easily... The one at the body side is the PITA... The one connected to the bootlid is easier!

The new ones should have come with new brackets. If they didnt then best to take the old one off and then try to remove the bracket... Just remember to prop the boot lid up with a broom stick or a peice of wood... Bootlid wont stay open with just one strut!!
Old 07-12-2009 | 06:54 PM
TreeFiddyZee
Do WHAAAAT!?
Premier Member

Your best bet is to use a Dremel tool and cut the old ones off.
Old 07-13-2009 | 01:53 PM
snuffy11

I want to thank you guys for reading and replying to my question. I bought a new pair of oem struts at Z1 and the guy said they should be easy to remove and replace.. HA!!!
Not if you don't mind scratching the inside of the hatch or straining yourself ( see hernia)
My old ones are fading fast and I want to add a different wing in the future so, I bought the oem thinking that they would do the trick.. Oh well.. Live and learn.
I will try suggestion #1 and see if that will work. My other option is to take it to our local Nissan dealer and pay big bucks to have them do it..

Once again, thank you 3fiddy and treefiddy for giving me some advice.. Hope you guys have a great week..

Kenny