Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Clutch Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 12:24 PM
swatcsj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Problem

I have a problem for starting the engine. i called Nissan service department for check up. they told me its $96 + tax. that wasn't pleasing me much.
i got 06 350Z 6sp manual. i pressed the clutch all the way to start engine as usual. but it doesn't start well. i tried couple of times, then i could able to start the engine. I found there was a black electrical switch on the wall. (Red circle on the pic) So when you press the clutch pedal, it touches that switch to start. I noticed the clutch pedal actually pushes that button, but nothing happened after turning my key. i had to push that button with my thumb and turn my key to start the engine. But it only works sometimes.
Does anyone can tell the problem?
Attached Thumbnails Clutch Problem-img_2673.jpg  

Last edited by swatcsj; 07-20-2009 at 12:27 PM.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:28 PM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

when you push the clutch all the way down, does it not make contact with the switch enough to start the engine?? there is a plastic circle that touches it......you can see it all blurry on the very top of your picture..

if it does and doesn't start with the clutch pedal contact, but only starts when you push on it "more" with your thumb, then i would guess the little switch is broken itself........

its a safety feature - so that you push the clutch in and dont try to start the car "in gear".......

i haven't tested that system, but you can probably just splice the wires to bypass the system or run out and get another switch installed...........thats probably an easy junk yard find...

-J

Last edited by JasonZ-YA; 07-20-2009 at 12:32 PM.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:47 PM
swatcsj

Originally Posted by JasonZ-YA
when you push the clutch all the way down, does it not make contact with the switch enough to start the engine?? there is a plastic circle that touches it......you can see it all blurry on the very top of your picture..

if it does and doesn't start with the clutch pedal contact, but only starts when you push on it "more" with your thumb, then i would guess the little switch is broken itself........

its a safety feature - so that you push the clutch in and dont try to start the car "in gear".......

i haven't tested that system, but you can probably just splice the wires to bypass the system or run out and get another switch installed...........thats probably an easy junk yard find...

-J
the plastic circle touches that switch but it seems not parallel. I attached the same size of sponge sticker on that plastic circle. hopefully it helps, but i didn't try yet. we will see. if it would not start the engine later, then i might have to concern about replacing the switch as you mentioned. But then, the weird thing is.. it never happened before, and i don't think there is any different condition of either switch or plastic circle. they just look perfect with my eyes.

Last edited by swatcsj; 07-20-2009 at 12:50 PM.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:51 PM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

let us know...
Old 07-20-2009, 04:32 PM
gregom

On my previous car I cut the two wires for that switch and connected them together from the car side with a wire nut to close the circut. That way I never had to press the clutch pedal down to start the car. The only reason I did this was I had racing seats in my car so if I just wanted to start the car and let it warm for a few minutes it was a huge pain to get in and out.

But thats a risk to take, if you forget to make sure your gearbox is in neutral and try it and your car pushes itself into whatever is in front of it then thats your own fault.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:46 PM
razer8c

https://my350z.com/forum/engine-driv...lutch-kit.html Maybe this will help
Old 07-30-2009, 12:08 PM
swatcsj

let us know...
i tried with sponge sticker. but it doesn't help much. It works great somehow now since i just took it (sponge stiker) off as factory designed condition. its weird though haha. when it didn't start again, i just press the clutch pedal couple of times then it works. im guessing that the switch on the picture is defective.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:27 PM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

^ BOO..........Go grab another from a junk yard Z..
Old 08-03-2009, 07:15 AM
swatcsj

^ BOO..........Go grab another from a junk yard Z..
when it would never work anymore, then i probably would
but where is junk yard Z ? just incase for the future ^^
Old 08-04-2009, 10:46 AM
M3ANMACHINE

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by swatcsj
when it would never work anymore, then i probably would
but where is junk yard Z ? just incase for the future ^^
he means "go grab one off a Z located in a junk yard"