Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Really disappointed with my 2007 HR with 22K Miles

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 08:22 PM
350BAZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tylerxfire
lmfao...yeah its gotta be the oil filter causing these problems...
Actually if you use an aftermarket oil filter this can sometimes cause the ticking sound on cold start up. I found this out the hard way in my Z and my xterra. I used an aftermarket filter and they began to make an horrible ticking when I would cold start them. I switched back to the Nissan filters and they never ticked again.

The reason why I was told this happens is because the Nissan filters have a flow back seal in them that when you turn the motor off it won't allow the oil to flow back into the filter. So you have more oil sitting in your motor, rather than in your filter, which makes sure you don't have ticking on cold start.

Some aftermarket Filters claim they do but the Mobil and Bosch filters I used both made the ticking sounds on start up.

If you tylerxfire have any other questions please feel free to ask.

Last edited by 350BAZ; 08-16-2009 at 08:23 PM.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:26 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Correct. I have had this happen several times on other VQ powered vehicles when using some cheaper filters. Also different oils can cause it too. M1 did it more often than any other oil I had so I stopped using it.

I have used aftermarket filters like the M1, PureOne and never had a problem on the Z so I am pretty happy with those.

Originally Posted by 350BAZ
Actually if you use an aftermarket oil filter this can sometimes cause the ticking sound on cold start up. I found this out the hard way in my Z and my xterra. I used an aftermarket filter and they began to make an horrible ticking when I would cold start them. I switched back to the Nissan filters and they never ticked again.

The reason why I was told this happens is because the Nissan filters have a flow back seal in them that when you turn the motor off it won't allow the oil to flow back into the filter. So you have more oil sitting in your motor, rather than in your filter, which makes sure you don't have ticking on cold start.

Some aftermarket Filters claim they do but the Mobil and Bosch filters I used both made the ticking sounds on start up.

If you tylerxfire have any other questions please feel free to ask.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:24 AM
jeeriko

Speaking of oil, I recently got my Z('06) w/14k mi. on it. What kind of oil/filter do you guys recommend me use?
Old 08-20-2009, 08:36 AM
Swimminggerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive got an 07 with 14800 on it. Bought it new. I do agree with you, buying used was a mistake for you dont know its past. Yes people will tell yo stories but seriously, you dont know its past. I know everything Ive done to mine, ground gears twice (slight) and went from 3rd to 2nd instead of 4th while getting on it. So when my problems come up down the road they might be related to my goofs, and i know what i did to it. Anyways i say get it covered under warranty or law, whichever and enjoy it. Use it the way you want. If it breaks it breaks, yeah that'll stink and maybe cost but at least you had fun with it instead of worrying about it.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:48 AM
FliPPER_Z

Default update

well.. didnt do anything in the dealer, made me look stupid... the click sound completely disappeared....

Old 08-29-2009, 07:44 AM
Darkz32

Originally Posted by vthao
Probably a miss-shift; over-revving. Quite beating your car and it will last you.
quite beating huh