Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

New to the Z and already concerns plz help.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 09:12 AM
Black350Peyton

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New to the Z and already concerns plz help.

About 2 going on 3 weeks ago i bought my first black 2005 touring 350z

The car has 89k miles on it and i would be the third owner. After checking it out i was happy with it and even though it needed some love i continued with the buy process from private seller.

About 4 days go i had installed the MD spacer and decided to peek the spark plugs.. after i take out the coil pack and spark plug of the drivers side most rear well there is oil sitting in the well -_- ugh. my first question is.. has anyone had problems with leaking valve covers? and is there a quick fix such as just replacing a gasket/seal? after being on the phone with Nissan dealer they were suprised just one was leaking and hadn't sold a valve cover yet? sounded sketchy to me.

Next problem im realizing is what sounds to be my input shaft bearing in the transmission now grant it the guy before me had put a JWT cluch in with flywheel but never metioned any problems (i wouldn't expect him too but oh well.) Basically, when i sit in neutral(clutch out) there is a whering type noise which is cured when holding in the clutch? opinions?

Other wise im very impressed with my Z and love it very much.

I thank everyone ahead of time for reading and helping.
Old 09-19-2009, 09:29 AM
Adrians07Z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the noise with the clutch sounds like the throw out bearing worn out or not releasing all the way
Old 09-19-2009, 10:42 AM
j.arnaldo
Banned

Do you have a miss? A quiver? Any backfiring? Probly all you have to do is clean up the area and go back to enjoying your beaZt (on the oil puddle problem, that is). If in doubt, see your friendly (?) neighborhood mechanic; avoid the stealership at all costs.
Old 09-19-2009, 12:21 PM
TreeFiddyZee
Do WHAAAAT!?

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Z is known for a noisy clutch. Mine chatters when it's released also. I just turn up the radio!
Old 09-19-2009, 12:24 PM
TheFarmer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The valve cover spark plug seals leaking is actually common on the Z's. A weekend morning R&R that will solve your problem. I forget but I think there's a DIY on it too somewhere on the forum
Old 09-19-2009, 06:24 PM
Black350Peyton

i do all my own work so no stealership here but when my buddies at NAPA tell me to talk with the dealership about it i do.

i DID read about the noisy trans but my dad swares its the input shaft bearing and other old school mechanics at my shop agree ( i am the 18yo with the tuner)

there is NO miss/backfiring

i tried DRASTICALLY to find seals even the dealership says no way u have to relace the god damn valve cover i swore jap cars had seals to fix this problem and itd be a quick 12$ fix not a 250$ one=[
Old 09-21-2009, 02:43 PM
Adrians07Z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

uhhh ... not sure if this is correct ..

but

if theres no "seals" does Nissan use RTV or something as a "seal" for the valve covers maybe .. just a guess

its like mr2's .. toyota doesn't use a "gasket" on the oil pain .. just uses a bead of RTV around it
Old 09-21-2009, 06:50 PM
dkmesa350z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have replaced my valve cover gaskets for leaking, but have not had the problem with the spark plug gaskets on the valve covers leaking. I would guess a seal of RTV would be your best bet. Don't see how it would do any harm and if it doesn't work, you are not any worse off.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:20 AM
j.arnaldo
Banned

Shop around; don't let the stealership steer you in the wrong direction!