Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Clutch Pedal Return Issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 08:09 PM
mojoZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Clutch Pedal Return Issues

Hey all Z guru's, new Z owner so don't spare the whipping if I befuddle some tech facts or Z lingo, gotta learn sometime right?
Anyways straight to business! Recently after some exhausting transmission repair issues I ended up dropping a new clutch kit along with one of those solid ACT Flywheels into the ride only to discover a few things, only one of which is the problem I need to address.
Once the tranny was reinstalled, we discovered that after all the hours of work replacing everything under there, the clutch pedal would not return from being depressed far enough for the spring to engage and "pop" the pedal back out. Basically the pedal stays near the floor and only has about seven or so inches of travel.
-First, we bled... bled bled bled. Used a power bleeder which forced fluid in from the fluid at the top. It would fix the pedal return just as long as the bleeder system was attached, as soon as it was removed, the system lost enough pressure to force the pedal back out.
-Second, we replaced the slave cylinder and the associated clutch line (with a steel braided one)... then bled... didn't fix anything.
-Didn't want to lose any more hair so I drove it (still somewhat drive-able) to the dealership. They replaced ALL associated parts with the clutch hydraulic system, which STILL didn't fix the problem. (The parts and work were free because it didn't fix my issue .

We pulled off the transmission ONCE AGAIN to check the swingarm and release bearing assembly... all the components are brand new except for the see-saw arm itself and we cannot find the problem.

Last thing we can think of is that this started happening after the clutch/pressure plate/flywheel surgery... but if all the parts are specifically designed for the 350z... why would there be a spacing issue? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

In case you all were wondering - 2004 Nissan 350z Enthusiast...
Old 09-26-2009, 11:00 PM
Mike@Blackline
Banned

i just did mine. somehow forgot a bolt on the slave cylinder that attaches on the drivers side of the tranny, put that back on and it worked great. that was my case but hopefully its not too bad for you
Old 09-27-2009, 12:17 AM
mojoZ

Already checked those two bolts. The whole hydraulic assembly has been completely replaced, including the externally housed slave cylinder... if my memory serves, they moved the slave inside the bellhousing on the 2006+ models.
Old 09-27-2009, 01:12 AM
Mike@Blackline
Banned

mmm mine is a 2006 but im pretty sure it was on the outside, but sorry to hear you havent found a solution yet. maybe the actual clutch setup itself? pressure plate not pushing?