Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

engine overheat...

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 09:24 AM
sssmasss

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default engine overheat...

Hi guys,

i am new here and i got a major problem...please help me.

After i flushed my coolant and refilled it, i notice my engine got hot after fifteen mins of test drive. i dont really know what wrong with it..please help

let me explain in detail what i did...

I went underneath my car and unscrewed the radiator screw so coolant can get out. i did this when engine was cold. I also opened the radiator cap and overflow box cap. Then i waited until there is no more coolant coming out. After that i screwed the screw back underneath the radiator and mixed nissan's coolant with drinking water to 50/50 ratio then pure it in the engine. Went back underneath the radiator again and unscrewed the screw to let coolant out again. i want to do it twice just for the heck or it. Then screwed the screw back in and pure coolant mixed in radiator again. ) i thought it was full but it was not.) turned on the engine, turned on heater but no hot air come out. notice something wrong, i went back and put some more coolant mix in. engine still on kept puring coolant until it overfilled a little cut the engine and turn the put the radiator cap back on and everything back. take it out for a test drive, within 15 mins.. my engine temp sensor went all the way up to hot... so i pulled aside waited for 30 and drive back home.. on the way home the engine got hot also.. and i had to stop on more time.

My question is... do you know what really happened? or anyone had problem like this after they flush their coolant? please help.. i think it can be fix easily .. but i dont know what is wrong with it.. please help

Oh, my car is a 350z roadster 2006 with 34k on it.. thanks
Old 10-04-2009, 09:37 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

It's a pretty common problem - it's rather difficult to get all the air out of the system after a bleed.

Look at the bottom of this page...

http://crackaddict.com/~flynn/howtos...amco.howto.htm

There's a section on how to bleed the system.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:45 PM
sssmasss

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thank you for ur help i wish i saw this before asking for help from a mechanic.. ahah he charged me 30$ which is not bad .. to me.. compare to other places they charge 60-100 for that problem..

anyways what he did was turn on the engine and pure some more water in... but only a little because it was pretty much full the last time i filled it...

he shifted to neutral and step on the gas about 5 mins...and it works...

he said air bubbles needed to be taken out...

thank you anyways
Old 10-04-2009, 08:59 PM
lbz

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is an air bleeder valve on top of the heater hose near the corner of the firewall at the passenger side.

You have to open that valve when pouring new coolant in. That lets the air bubbles out. When coolant starts coming out of that valve, close it, finish filling coolant, good to go.