Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

low oil pressure still

Old 11-15-2009, 06:35 PM
sir_vq

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default low oil pressure still

i been noticing on level ground at idle my oil pressure is like 5-10psi at WOT it might hit 30, it used to idle at 25-30 and upwards of 60 at WOT....so i been keeping an eye on oil leve it seems good so i changed the oil and oil switch cause it was cheap and easy so i though what the hell.....and now a month later im going though same thing again.....MY QUESTION IS do the 350's have a problem with the "showerhead" brazing craking off like they do with the sr20's and can anyone think of what else i should check thanks
Old 11-15-2009, 06:55 PM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

so your oil pressure went back to normal after you changed the oil and filter and now it's down again?

so every time you change the oil it goes back to normal? sounds like a clogged filter blocking the oil flow.
Old 11-15-2009, 08:41 PM
BristishZ

i recently bought a 350z 2003 grand touring model. the car drives very well, starts up fine, idles well with out a stutter. I also am experiencing what i think is low oil pressure. Im not use to the 350z and the oil pressure may be normal, but when the car is to proper temp. its oil pressure is about 10PSI and sometimes less, when i cruise on the highway at around 3K RPM is at 45 PSI. is this normal, when its cold its above 60PSI at idle. Im getting ready to change the oil on the car. It doesnt need it, but im not sure what the previous owner put in it, so im putting some 5W 30 Mobil 1 in it. Thanks Ben
Old 11-15-2009, 11:21 PM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Nissan factory Service Data and Specifications lists a minimum oil pressure:

Idle speed More than 14

2,000 RPM More than 43

6,000 RPM More than 57
Old 11-15-2009, 11:24 PM
dirtbikr

My oil pressure has always been just under 120 psi when I cold start, usually hits 120 when I redline completely warmed up, and idles just below 30psi fully warm, like 25 maybe... All on Mobil 1 5w - 30 I'd try a new pressure sensor first, that's way low... I was always taught to have at least 10psi for every 1K RPMs to be safe, and I'm always over that...
Old 11-15-2009, 11:35 PM
johnwigs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if your not getting rod knock from excessive bearing clearance then it is a clogged pickup or clogged filter... use nissan or one with check valve for no "dry starts"
Old 11-16-2009, 12:28 AM
DaProdigy

i had the same problem. try replacing your oil preasure sensor
Old 11-16-2009, 10:05 AM
juelz86z3303

well with old oil it reads very low about 10-15 psi. but to solve this is a fresh oil change and it will= operate back to normal reading if not then ops. oil pressure sensor.. the vq's are known for this problem to avoid it stay up on your oil and becareful on how you drive it like in the mornigits good to warm the car up before drivng off that gives the oil enought time to go thru the oil gallies and lube up the block peices that requires oil aslong as you don't get no knocking noise or rought ilde the problem can be solved before it gets out of hand.. have you did your spark plugs yet to see if oil is in the cylinder heads where the plugs go . if not when you have time try to inspect your spark plugs for oil that means that your oil seals for the valves are done that requires getting new one because over time oil will get into your cylinder heads and burn up that not a real problem but you might want to get it fixed and then check but what weight oil are you using??..
Old 11-16-2009, 11:37 AM
sir_vq

i have changed the oil pressure sensor....and i use oem filters....and yes is does seem to be fine after an oil change i been using royal purple cause ive used itin the past and like it....i appreciate everyone input any ideas im listening

/moderator sorry to post org. question in wrong place.....
Old 11-16-2009, 12:35 PM
BristishZ

My oil pressure never gets to 120 PSI. im not sure when the last oil change was done but the sticker on the windscreen says next oil change at 80k. its at 77k right now. the engine revs up fine, no noises, feels great, but at idle its at right around 10-15 psi. at 3k rpm, its right under 50psi or 60psi. idle when its cold its like 60psi. i agree with the 10psi to every 1000 rpm, so 10psi at 600 rpm at idle should be fine? like i said, ive only had the car for a few days. it may be me being crazy because its a new car. and you all know how it is when you get a new car. is the Oil pressure sender hard to replace, wheres it located? thanks for all the input.
Old 11-16-2009, 03:29 PM
sir_vq

sensor is right next to oil filter it is very easy to change,
Old 11-16-2009, 08:11 PM
BristishZ

well, i bought a oil special at my work today. got 5 quarts of Mobil 1 5W 30 and im planning on changing it tomorrow. I think the oil pressure is fine. if i drive up my drive way at about 1000rpm, the oil pressure is right at 25psi. and it increase well when i accelerate. So im not going to worry about it for now, the car still drives really really well. Thanks for all the help guys
Old 11-23-2009, 09:39 PM
dudegetalife

Originally Posted by juelz86z3303
well with old oil it reads very low about 10-15 psi. but to solve this is a fresh oil change and it will= operate back to normal reading if not then ops. oil pressure sensor.. the vq's are known for this problem to avoid it stay up on your oil and becareful on how you drive it like in the mornigits good to warm the car up before drivng off that gives the oil enought time to go thru the oil gallies and lube up the block peices that requires oil aslong as you don't get no knocking noise or rought ilde the problem can be solved before it gets out of hand.. have you did your spark plugs yet to see if oil is in the cylinder heads where the plugs go . if not when you have time try to inspect your spark plugs for oil that means that your oil seals for the valves are done that requires getting new one because over time oil will get into your cylinder heads and burn up that not a real problem but you might want to get it fixed and then check but what weight oil are you using??..

got quick question to go along with this i've been having same problem as op and i think it might have gotten fixed since my oil presure is back to normal sorta getting about 20psi on idle when i took out spark plugs only 2 were oiled so we changed out the boots and one of them just completely broke apart

i talked to nissan about the oil seals on valves and YOU HAVE TO BUY NEW VALVE COVERS not just the gaskets or whatever like normal cars do this as a last resort cuz with my discount they 220 a side and service guy told me that they just use them to bill customer extra money its usually boots so fyi if you change spark plugs you need to change the boots on them too..... go to oreillys or autozone they 13 a peice but carry lifetime warranty... so replace em everytime you change spark plugs
Old 04-09-2015, 06:01 AM
Esteban350z

I got the Same problem this morning turned on for about 8 mins. Got on the highway to go to work. Than as soon as get on the highway I get 0 oil pressure and my 3 gauges start to dim. Lip it home about 4 miles of going 25 have about 60 psi than I shift gears and pressure drops to 0 almost home pressure at 60 normal for my car. Shifting gears low speeds everything is fine. But at WOT pressure back to 0 changed oil and filter about 200 miles ago I use 5w40 Mobil 1 usually but went with rotella 5w40 this time never had this issue before. Until now been using 5w40 about 2 years now
Old 08-31-2015, 12:06 AM
Alex Tappin

Default Having this issue as well

I am having a similar issue with this oil pressure. I had a bad unit that was showing the oil pressure as 120psi all the time (even When the car was off). I then replaced it and drove it around. After a few minutes at a stoplight, the oil pressure dropped way low (almost 0) and the oil light came on. I then pressed the gas to rev the engine and the pressure went up and the light off. Oil level is good. I am going to use a mechanical gauge tomorrow to check the pressure. Anything else I should check?
Old 07-20-2016, 01:36 PM
Alex Tappin

Guess I will update here... I did the mechanical gauge and it read higher (it was normal). Not sure what is going on. I have changed the pressure sensor twice and it is the same.

I just continue to drive and see the oil light every so often... Sorta freaks me out but whatever.
Old 12-13-2016, 07:24 PM
350z_87

This is old as hell...BUT, I am having the same issue. Had bad sensor that read 120 all the time. changed sensor and oil and oil reads like 1 at idle and normal driving is around 30-45. Light comes on randomly if im on a hill or hit a weird bump/angle. But light never came on with bad sensor.
Old 12-13-2016, 09:21 PM
Alex Tappin

Originally Posted by 350z_87
This is old as hell...BUT, I am having the same issue. Had bad sensor that read 120 all the time. changed sensor and oil and oil reads like 1 at idle and normal driving is around 30-45. Light comes on randomly if im on a hill or hit a weird bump/angle. But light never came on with bad sensor.
hey man no worries on this old thread (I know this information is hard to find!). Anyways, I still am driving ny car. Oil light still flashes from time to time. I have ruled it as an electrical error. I did the mechanical gauge and it read normal. If you really want the piece of mind, I'd pick up a mechanical gauge, hook it up and see what the reading is. Or you could take it to a Mechanic and have them test it.

Any other questions, just reply here!
Old 07-29-2017, 12:21 PM
Lawdawg

Default Looking for advice

2003, 350Z, 68K miles. Low oil pressure.
Put a manual gauge on it and started cold. 15 psi at start and started dropping almost immediately. After about 3-4 minutes had dropped to 6-8 psi at idle. Never rev'd to see what it was at higher rpm. New 5w-30 oil and filter.
Oil pump gone bad?
Any other suggestions????
Old 07-29-2017, 02:39 PM
myGspot

Oddly enough i just turned my car on first time in a few months. Idled for about 3 minutes engine didnt even get hot and oil light came on. Rev the engine to 1,500-2,000 rpm and light goes away, when idle back to normal oil light comes back on.
I have a g35 so we dont have the oil pressure switch just the low oil or not sensor.

Anyone can suggest as to what it may be?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: low oil pressure still