Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

low oil pressure still

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 07:36 PM
rancor

Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Lawdawg
2003, 350Z, 68K miles. Low oil pressure.
Put a manual gauge on it and started cold. 15 psi at start and started dropping almost immediately. After about 3-4 minutes had dropped to 6-8 psi at idle. Never rev'd to see what it was at higher rpm. New 5w-30 oil and filter.
Oil pump gone bad?
Any other suggestions????
Originally Posted by myGspot
Oddly enough i just turned my car on first time in a few months. Idled for about 3 minutes engine didnt even get hot and oil light came on. Rev the engine to 1,500-2,000 rpm and light goes away, when idle back to normal oil light comes back on.
I have a g35 so we dont have the oil pressure switch just the low oil or not sensor.

Anyone can suggest as to what it may be?
To both of you. The oil gallery gaskets behind the front timing cover of the engine have the habit of going bad. You need to verify your oil pressure yourself using a gauge. There is a relatively inexpensive harbor freight gauge or you can have a mechanic look at it.

You will need to look it up in the factory service manual but there are minimum oil pressures stated. It's something like 14 psi at 650 RPM and 39 psi at 2000 rpm. If the oil pressure isn't low you probably only need a new sensor. If your oil pressure light is going off your pressure is probably below 3-5 psi(or the sensor is bad) and you may have caused damage to the engine. I would stop driving it until you can get it checked if you can.
Old 07-29-2017, 08:12 PM
myGspot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rancor
To both of you. The oil gallery gaskets behind the front timing cover of the engine have the habit of going bad. You need to verify your oil pressure yourself using a gauge. There is a relatively inexpensive harbor freight gauge or you can have a mechanic look at it.

You will need to look it up in the factory service manual but there are minimum oil pressures stated. It's something like 14 psi at 650 RPM and 39 psi at 2000 rpm. If the oil pressure isn't low you probably only need a new sensor. If your oil pressure light is going off your pressure is probably below 3-5 psi(or the sensor is bad) and you may have caused damage to the engine. I would stop driving it until you can get it checked if you can.
not driving the car that's for sure.
would I be able to test oil pressure with an oil filter adapter and any pressure gauge or would I need to test it at a different location?
Old 07-31-2017, 06:30 AM
rancor

not driving the car that's for sure.
would I be able to test oil pressure with an oil filter adapter and any pressure gauge or would I need to test it at a different location?
Probably but the normal point on the Z is to measure from the oil pressure sending unit. Check the FSM for the G but you can probably measure from the oil pressure switch.
Old 07-31-2017, 11:46 AM
myGspot

Slight update:
I went immediately to do my oil change and found out that my oil was low. So my 2nd engine from infiniti is burning crazy oil at yet again 70k miles.
However, that still did not solve the oil light issue.

I know some 350z guys reported a faulty sensor which i have on order but what else could it be?
Old 08-03-2017, 04:16 PM
myGspot

Well my hope that it would be a faulty pressure sensor was high and i was dissapointed. light is still on at idle. not sure what i could loo at next. someone suggested i drop the pan and see if the pick up screen has a lot of carbon build up, others said i need a new oil pump but even at that rate not sure if it will fix the issue.

any suggestions?
Old 08-04-2017, 05:55 AM
rancor

Well my hope that it would be a faulty pressure sensor was high and i was dissapointed. light is still on at idle. not sure what i could loo at next. someone suggested i drop the pan and see if the pick up screen has a lot of carbon build up, others said i need a new oil pump but even at that rate not sure if it will fix the issue.

any suggestions?
Have you measured the oil pressure yet at idle (650rpm) and 2000rpm? It should help to diagnose the issue.

Like I said before it could also be the oil gallery gaskets. So clogged oil pickup, bad oil pump, gallery gaskets, and extremely worn engin.

Dropping the oil pan is easy so checking the pickup isn't hard.

Last edited by rancor; 08-04-2017 at 05:56 AM.
Old 08-04-2017, 12:55 PM
myGspot

Originally Posted by rancor
Have you measured the oil pressure yet at idle (650rpm) and 2000rpm? It should help to diagnose the issue.

Like I said before it could also be the oil gallery gaskets. So clogged oil pickup, bad oil pump, gallery gaskets, and extremely worn engin.

Dropping the oil pan is easy so checking the pickup isn't hard.
I haven't measured oil pressure yet. Waiting on my oil filter adapter to arrive to measure it.
I am going to remove my oil pan next and check the oil pick upbas you have mentioned.
engine only has 65k on it. It doesn't sound bad... I don't hear any knocking and pulls normal on the road. Again, thatvjust driving to and from mechanics.
For the sake of the argument, if the oil pick up screen is clean, how would it be determined what's causing the issue between galley gasket or the oil pump itself or a really work engine as you said?
Old 08-07-2017, 07:08 AM
rancor

I haven't measured oil pressure yet. Waiting on my oil filter adapter to arrive to measure it.
I am going to remove my oil pan next and check the oil pick upbas you have mentioned.
engine only has 65k on it. It doesn't sound bad... I don't hear any knocking and pulls normal on the road. Again, thatvjust driving to and from mechanics.
For the sake of the argument, if the oil pick up screen is clean, how would it be determined what's causing the issue between galley gasket or the oil pump itself or a really work engine as you said?
Not sure if you can tell a difference. Maybe a experienced mechanic would be able to tell without taking the timing cover off.

In the VQ35DE I think there are some covers over the timing tensioner that might give you some visibility of the gaskets. Otherwise I would think you will just need to take the front timing chain cover off and see if the gaskets are in good condition. If they are it would probably be the pump then.

This is an HR not a DE but you can see the gasket pushed out from under the cover. The oil pump is also right there on the crank so it wouldn't be hard to check.

Last edited by rancor; 08-07-2017 at 07:12 AM.
Old 12-21-2017, 03:31 PM
MyleZ

Default Same issue

I have the same issue as you all as well. Its all happened within a week. One day driving i noticed i wasent above 60psi any more going about 80. And was always above 30psi on idle (warm) now over the past week im under 60psi while driving and each day i drop a couple psi on idle. Im now at abouut 10 psi. Changed oil. 5w30. Replaced sensor. Been reading about the oil galleys? Behind timing cover? Any tboughts or experience?

Thank you
Old 12-21-2017, 03:36 PM
MyleZ

[QUOTE=MyleZ;10932204]I have the same issue as you all as well. 03 touring model. Its all happened within a week. One day driving i noticed i wasent above 60psi any more going about 80. And was always above 30psi on idle (warm) now over the past week im under 60psi while driving and each day i drop a couple psi on idle. Im now at abouut 10 psi. Changed oil. 5w30. Replaced sensor. I still have good readings while driving but they seem to keep getting lower Been reading about the oil galleys. Before seeing this post so i hope thats the issue. Engine has 82k!!!

Thank you all haha
Old 12-21-2017, 05:41 PM
Alex Tappin

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=MyleZ;10932206]
Originally Posted by MyleZ
I have the same issue as you all as well. 03 touring model. Its all happened within a week. One day driving i noticed i wasent above 60psi any more going about 80. And was always above 30psi on idle (warm) now over the past week im under 60psi while driving and each day i drop a couple psi on idle. Im now at abouut 10 psi. Changed oil. 5w30. Replaced sensor. I still have good readings while driving but they seem to keep getting lower Been reading about the oil galleys. Before seeing this post so i hope thats the issue. Engine has 82k!!!

Thank you all haha
The galleys are not for 03. Ours are fine.

Not sure what the issue is! I still have the problem, been driving for 20k miles no issues. I'm at 151,xxx right now. I'm assuming it's a bad connection of some sort...

I replaced the oil pressure plug 2 times and to no avail. I would get a mechanical gauge and check that. Mine was good pressure with the mechanical gauge.

Good luck! If you find the issue, please let me know lol I hate seeing that light every so often.
Old 12-21-2017, 05:50 PM
MyleZ

[QUOTE=Alex Tappin;10932228]

The galleys are not for 03. Ours are fine.

Not sure what the issue is! I still have the problem, been driving for 20k miles no issues. I'm at 151,xxx right now. I'm assuming it's a bad connection of some sort...

I replaced the oil pressure plug 2 times and to no avail. I would get a mechanical gauge and check that. Mine was good pressure with the mechanical gauge.

Good luck! If you find the issue, please let me know lol I hate seeing that light every so often.
Thanks so much for replying haha!
You think it could still happen tho? Its either the galleys or my pump going out and with only 82k i would really hope its not the pump. But im going tk drop the pan and see how the pickup screen looks
Old 12-21-2017, 05:54 PM
Alex Tappin

[QUOTE=MyleZ;10932206]
I have the same issue as you all as well. 03 touring model. Its all happened within a week. One day driving i noticed i wasent above 60psi any more going about 80. And was always above 30psi on idle (warm) now over the past week im under 60psi while driving and each day i drop a couple psi on idle. Im now at abouut 10 psi. Changed oil. 5w30. Replaced sensor. I still have good readings while driving but they seem to keep getting lower Been reading about the oil galleys. Before seeing this post so i hope thats the issue. Engine has 82k!!!

Thank you all haha
[QUOTE=MyleZ;10932229]
Originally Posted by Alex Tappin

Thanks so much for replying haha!
You think it could still happen tho? Its either the galleys or my pump going out and with only 82k i would really hope its not the pump. But im going tk drop the pan and see how the pickup screen looks
I would pick up a $20 oil pressure mechanic gauge as well. And please, if you find the issue, please report it back lol there is literally no solution on the forums. I have searched far and wide lol
Old 08-08-2019, 07:25 AM
Alex Tappin

Default Solved for me...

I bought a Nissan factory oil pressure sensor after a few other AutoZone sensors (for various other parts such as camshaft position sensor) failed for me. What do you know, Nissan one works fine and is showing me correct pressures. The AutoZone ones were reading about 20psi lower than normal.
Old 09-11-2021, 07:31 AM
Oscarh16

[QUOTE=Alex Tappin;10932230][QUOTE=MyleZ;10932206]

I would pick up a $20 oil pressure mechanic gauge as well. And please, if you find the issue, please report it back lol there is literally no solution on the forums. I have searched far and wide lol
Did you ever find out the issue ?
Old 09-11-2021, 09:45 AM
Alex Tappin

[QUOTE=Oscarh16;11058359][QUOTE=Alex Tappin;10932230]

Did you ever find out the issue ?
Yes. My car didn't have any issue. It was the cheap oil pressure sensor from autozone. Get the expensive one from nissan and it will be fixed.