Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

dropping rpm at idle

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 12:33 PM
BYL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dropping rpm at idle

I have an issue on my 08, automatic. Only when the car is warm and i start it up, the RPM immediately after going up, as usual, drop and it feels as though the car will stall and then it rebounds back to normal. This has been happening for a few months now and only has been happening on warm engine starts. The only plus is that this has not been a constant and only occurs about 75 % of the warm starts.
Now, however, when I come to a stop and the gear goes down to 1st, the RPMs would drop and the car feels like it will stall, but then it rebounds back to normal. Just like as it does at warm start ups. And again, this is not a constant occurance and only happens here and there.
I mentioned to the dealer, as the car is under warranty, and they gave me some BS excuse that there were leaves in my air boxes and that was blocking air flow so the car would hesitate a bit at start up. I didn't buy for a second, but now that this happens when the car is in gear,I'm getting a bit concerned.
The only alternation from stock is the drop in K&N filters. All else is stock.

Let me know what you guys think it may be or if its normal.

thanks for all your input.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:39 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I posted 350Z idle specs several times. Cold and warm. Once the RPM drops to warm idle, it should NOT increase to cold.

Nissan could troubleshoot this for you, but will probably say “Can Not Duplicate.”
Old 03-12-2010, 07:07 AM
BYL

Thanks davidv. i'm sure its not a real issue and the dealer won't bother with it either.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:13 AM
cheshirecat79

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Idle shouldn't drop below 600ish with the A/C off. If it does, you could be looking at a crank position sensor issue.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:09 PM
gregom

Mine has been doing this too the past couple months. In fact a couple times on warm engine restarts, it starts up then stalls itself. I've had to give it a few revs to keep it from stalling. I haven't checked anything yet but i'm thinking MAF.

I hope it isn't a crank position sensor... but I've read this was related to the intermittent not starting issue. I thought it was the immobilizer, but maybe it isn't. I just had the no starting issue again last weekend, and it lasted several minutes. I can usually get it to start after several tries, but I tried at least 20 times and it would not start. Finally it started and I haven't had the problem again since.

Anyone else think this could be the crank position sensor issue?