Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Headlight goes out

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 02:27 PM
VBoi88

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight goes out

OK so i was driving home one day and i hit a construction cone and my front plastic shield(Black piece of plastic inside the fender) on the driver side went off the road, 2 days later i noticed that my headlight on the driver side is not working, and i see water inside the headlight, so i bought me a new HID bulb and swap it, but still not working, i dont know if i need a new ballast or maybe the wire is just lose or something? Today i went to nissan dealership and bought me a new plastic shield, i dont know if the shield is required to protect water goes into the headlight or not? Just want to ask if any of you can help me out thanks.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:05 PM
gregom

Yeah the headlamps aren't sealed very well, i've got water in my ballast a few times without the plastic wheel well shielding installed. You probably should take the headlamp out, and take the ballast off, shake it next to your ear and if you hear water swishing around inside just shake it all out. I've done this to my right side HID ballast two times, and let it sit a couple hours after I heard no more water inside and it worked again. The ballasts are very reliable to say the least...
Old 04-01-2010, 11:45 AM
JoEdaGiGGoLo

Werd..
It's your ballast.

Today is my SECOND time removing water inside of the ballast. I took of the silicone and resealed it again today and will reinstall tomorrow.

BTW - just wondering, has anyone heard of silicone tape? Link here via Home Depot. I'm thinking of wrapping the area where I siliconed with this just for extra precaution. Don't want to take off the front bumper, etc again. SOOO time consuming. Or can I wrap duct tape around the silicone area and put it back on the car?

What do you guys think?
Old 04-01-2010, 04:58 PM
gregom

I like the silicone tubes that builders use for installing windows and stuff. It doesn't look as clean but you wont really see it anyway once the headlamp is in the car. It really worked well on mine after I tore my headlamps open to install bixenon projectors. Haven't had water issues yet....

But I don't think the seal between the headlamp and ballast is very good. The rubber grommet isn't nearly thick enough and water can still get in. I had to make sure I had me plastic wheel well liners installed, otherwise water still got in through that ballast port.

I gotta say though these ballasts kick ***! Definitely will use them for any future builds considering they were built properly and turn off if a water will cause a short.