Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Problems starting the car

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 03:50 PM
solidfish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems starting the car

I posted a few days ago about a dying battery that gave me some problems starting the car in the mornings. Well I got that fixed (battery was old/weak) but I still have my starting problem. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

I'm no mechanic, but here's my deductive logical steps so far:
1. Engine cranks but does not start. After giving it a few (or several) more tries, it gets going. No odd noises during crank, no odd noises when running. No smells, smokes, CEL. All fluids topped. Climate here is mild at 60s everyday.

2. As my previous thread states, battery was weak and replaced. And it keeps its charge. So no problems with battery/alternator.

3. Spark plugs replaced. .

4. Starter cranks engine without problem and sounds healthy. Never hesitates, stalls, splutters. Just wont start.

5. There is fuel in the tank. :P

So I'm leaning towards fuel injectors/delivery system??? What do you think? Any other checks I can do to before taking it to the real mechanics?

thanks again
Old 03-31-2010, 09:40 AM
350zHermosa

try your crank position sensors... I had the same problem about a month ago, that started out with my battery.. I drained it one night trying to get her to start for about 3 hours. Then changed that battery this worked for umm a day. Problem persisted for a month of so then was told by a bike mechanic to look into the crank position sensors, bought both for about $65 a piece at O'Reilly's, had my husband install them, and shes cranked right up ever since...

Old 03-31-2010, 10:16 AM
Jarred@Z1
Sponsor
Z1 Motorsports

before you go buying stuff try a different key. sometimes the chips in the keys go bad and it wont crank it everytime.
Old 04-01-2010, 03:11 PM
solidfish

Whoa seriously? Do you know what years the Z has chips in the key?

Otherwise, I'll look into the crank position sensor. But is there a way of diagnosing that as the fault?

Its really hard to replicate the problem as it happens so randomly. I thought maybe it was a cold start but I was at the bank the other day and stopped for no more than 10 minutes. Engine was still hot and it wouldn't start. After 3 or so tries it start and no problem. So odd...

Last edited by solidfish; 04-01-2010 at 03:12 PM.